• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

CUCVLOVER

I replaced the fuel pick up in the m1008 today.
I ended up taking the runner seal out of the Metal ring and just putting it under the pick up.

I drove the truck a little today and the throttle response is awesome and the truck has a little more pep.(for a cucv)

Attachments

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Cruised to a US car meet. Talked to some friends, saw a lot of nice cars and cruised home again.
Also went to look at another not OD green toy. Need to scrape some money together..

cucvrus

I broke the Guide Rod allen head on my injector pump trying to change the throttle shaft seals.
I have done that before. And I have broken the small 10/24 screws from the top cover. I just ended up sending the pump and getting it rebuilt. I hope that helps you out. Sorry for your down time on that project. Good Luck getting it back on the road.

VillaneKillinger

HELP! I just bought a '86 M-1008. I'm in need of a mechanic in the future in the New York area (Westchester Co.) I don't know a thing about it! I need good tires and have no idea what to get.

rsh4364

If you have to pay a mechanic to work on a cucv you may have been better off with a civy truck.These trucks are awesome but require plenty of work.The 1008s have 4.56 gears so the taller the tire the better.Welcome to the site.Lots of great info here.Use the search tool whenever you can.

Last edited:

VillaneKillinger

I guess your here to make me feel bad? Maybe I want to be ready for a solar flare or an EMP attack? I just wanted someone familiar with these trucks in my area to help guide me because I'm a noob doesn't make me less than, say someone like you. But live your life buddy

rsh4364

I guess your here to make me feel bad? Maybe I want to be ready for a solar flare or an EMP attack? I just wanted someone familiar with these trucks in my area to help guide me because I'm a noob doesn't make me less than, say someone like you. But live your life buddy
Im sorry if it sounded like that,no offense intended,I am no expert I mess up a lot.Actually the 1008 is my dream truck,but I drive about 85 miles per day for work so I drive 1009s for the MPG factor.I have 2 now.Please don't let me discourage you.

joshuak

Vk, welcome on board. Rsh4346, was realistic. Fortunately if you are willing to learn and do the work, you have come to the right place. The technicals manuals for your truck are available for free download here on this site as well as this awesome search function that let's you find threads and posts related to the subject your interested in at the moment. If you want to discuss preparation for those other things you talked about this might not be the best place, those topics are discouraged.

Get to know the site, you are currently in the "What have you done to your CUCV lately thread", not for presentations. Try again here.

Welcome onboard.

Last edited:

VillaneKillinger

Im sorry if it sounded like that,no offense intended,I am no expert I mess up a lot.Actually the 1008 is my dream truck,but I drive about 85 miles per day for work so I drive 1009s for the MPG factor.I have 2 now.Please don't let me discourage you.
No in a way your right. I just really love the truck and now that I've bought it; to be honest it's a bit overwhelming for me. I'm sorry for goi g on the defensive and I don't want to just turn around and sell it because of my inadequencies. So I was just reaching out here that's all.

rsh4364

Best way to start is top of cucv page CUCV wiki,then sticky cucv helpful threads,I strongly advise the DogHead starter relay upgrade,I almost lost my first cucv because I didn't know about it.I was also overwhelmed by my first cucv,now that I know more from bad experiances,I am much more confident working on them.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Best way to start is top of cucv page CUCV wiki,then sticky cucv helpful threads,I strongly advise the DogHead starter relay upgrade,I almost lost my first cucv because I didn't know about it.I was also overwhelmed by my first cucv,now that I know more from bad experiances,I am much more confident working on them.

I think the old expression is:

- Good Judgement comes from Experience/
And Experience comes from Bad Judgement.

It's a tough way to learn, and it's better to let somebody else lead the way for you if possible. But nothing builds wisdom better than slugging through the problem solving.

Good luck to you, VillaneKillinger. You're in the right place, and Welcome.

corvette9

I'll tell you what I'v done with my CUCV. I,m enjoying the s--- out of this truck. I did put the tie downs in the bed a few days ago. I also want to get my trailer hitch on, maybe this weekend. I'v been driving this for a few weeks now and I love it. I always liked this body style Chevy trucks. But I never had a CUCV. This one needed alot of body work but it runs like a clock. I'm very happy I bought this truck from Cucvrus. He beat the body up some but he did maintain it very well.

Brian G.

IMG_0011.jpg

Last edited:

Drock

Well got the rear main seal done. Based on how mine looked (MISSING!!) I would recommend everyone consider replacing there's.

CUCVLOVER

Well I drove the green machine a lot today. I get home it sets a couple hrs and I tried to start it up. It fires up runs for about 30 seconds and goes dead.
I had an issue the other day where if I parked it nose up it would not start. Nose down and it would start great. Well today it did it again. So I yelled at a little then pulled across the road into my dad's shop and now I have the batts charging since they will not turn the motor over.

So today I enjoyed my cucv but I also got really really ......... Mad it.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed steering box, welded in the frame reinforcement. Battling the 12 bolt wheelsw/ cut down mag beadlocks/ 37" Baja TAs o-rings leaking, looks like silicon sealer in the o-ring groove is the answer. An awful lot of assembly/disassembly to figure that out. Friday reassemble, saturday test, sunday Charleau Gap trail.

rsh4364

Added a 1/0 ga. ground cable from frame to ground strip.Mine was missing. 4 ga ground from drivers alt to frame.Installed tach,but need the connector for tach.drive on back of gen1,is this something I can buy at parts store?

Last edited:

True Knight

Well I drove the green machine a lot today. I get home it sets a couple hrs and I tried to start it up. It fires up runs for about 30 seconds and goes dead.
I had an issue the other day where if I parked it nose up it would not start. Nose down and it would start great. Well today it did it again. So I yelled at a little then pulled across the road into my dad's shop and now I have the batts charging since they will not turn the motor over.

So today I enjoyed my cucv but I also got really really ......... Mad it.
Sounds like you've got a leak in the fuel system somewhere. Usually it's in the stock fuel filter housing. I converted to a spin-on filter and that solved the problem. Unfortunately it's a common issue. Until you can get it fixed park it nose down as much as possible so gravity pulls the fuel toward the engine instead of toward the tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks