• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

SRB1976

Just took a little trip down to "Aspen Alley" checking out the fall colors.

PA030157.jpgPA030158.jpgPA030160.jpgPA030164.jpgPA030166.jpgPA030170.jpgPA030173.jpg

You pick up the strangest stuff out on the trail WTH is this? A key?:shock:

PA030174.jpgPA030175.jpg

00Buck

Very productive week for me and the 1028. Started with a block heater. Very messy but no leaks and will definately help this winter here in Wisconsin. Then tackled rubber brake lines, calipers, and pads. Bled the system; no more pulling to the right. Replaced the fuel filter, CDR valve, eliminated the glow plug resistor and rotated the tires. I am feeling pretty good going into the next six months of cold and snow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today in prep for the GA Rally I checked all fluids, oil changed and greased up and installed a replacement roof mounted spot light. Not nearly as bright as I expected but I can remedy that! For now it will be fine.

I_Publius

Upgraded the headlight harness tonight. I used a heavy duty, high temp headlamp socket and Sylvania SiverStar H6054 lights. It's amazing how much of a difference they make. I can see now. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380859335.296148.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380859163.547958.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the FM100 today with little drama.

I changed the oil and filter after that. The oil filter has a small dent in the bottom (second wal-mart filter I've gotten that was dented :mad: ) I hope the dent doesn't do anything bad.

Filter05.jpg

CycleJay

Hi all,

The only thing I have done lately since my last post the other day is:

Replaced a very old and bad ground wire from the negative post of the front battery,
to the frame bolt in front of the front battery...

That is all for now..

Good day...

CJ

chevyguy1976

Did the spin on fuel filter mod today. Very little drama and took less then an hour once I had all the parts rounded up that I needed. Cost was under 100 bucks. I went with the Napa base and filter, part number 4309 I think. Had to drill out the mounting holes a bit and used a couple of nuts to space it away from the firewall. Filled the filter with fuel,cranked her over a few times and she fired right up. Seems to idle smoother and I would say I even picked up a little more power during acceleration. Want to do the glow plug relay yet before the snow flies. If she makes it thru the winter well see about some body work and paint next summer.

sochuck

Just finished replacing the inner and outer passenger side fenders! Replaced the GP connectors and spread some OD green around. So much more to do!
IMG_1756.jpgIMG_1757.jpg

Last edited:

K9Vic

My M1009 project had more work done on today and get everything done minutes before a thunder storm hit. It was a super cool day, so I did not let it go to waste. Started at about noon and got done at 6:00 and I got everything I needed on my parts run this time successfully. Most of the time I forget something or some part is broken when I dig into it. So it was a good day.

1. Replace the rear breaks completely less drums. So that is shoes, hardware kit and wheel cylinders. The cylinders were close to dry rotting and being they are on $10 each it is a no brainer to replace them while there. One of the shoe adjusters was locked up, but I was able to free it after messing with it in the vise.
2. Replace one each wheel stud on each side of rear axle. Reason was my drums were rusted welded on and trying to get them off I scuffed one on each side. No big deal the rears are super easy to replace.
3. New drag links (tie rods) as since one was really bad. When I went to loosen the bolt I was able to move it by hand on the rear. Now it is tight and will see if that gets rid of the slop.

4. My power steering pump was leaking when it was full, but stopped when it got to a low level. So I took it out and found out that at one time the bolt on the block right behind it rubbed against the case and made a really small hole. I do not know if the previous owner had it loose and cause this, but it had to be fixed or replaced. Well I already ordered the only one in Texas for my Suburban a few weeks ago and it was like $65. So I got out my welder and patched the hole using low power and short spot welds. It worked and will hopefully save me some money. Oh and the sliding adjustable bracket on the right side was broken, so I had to weld that back together and file down my welds. That worked as well, but as for longevity on that bracket I am hopping it will be OK. I am thinking it will as I got a good weld down and added extra to the top narrow side to hold it better. With that bracket probably hard to find, this was a much needed attempt.

Sunday morning before football should be these.
1. Replace speedometer.
2. Install dash and other related parts around that.
3. Take it on a long test drive, have some fun with it and watch some football in the afternoons.

Sorry I did not take any pictures of the power steering pump issues, I wish I would have but sometimes when I get working on something I just forget.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the left vent window assembly and installed new door window channel weatherstripping on both doors. Used the LMC 38-5651 kit. Very simple job, took about two hours total.

Last edited:

JSF01

I had ben getting vibrations in my truck over 25 MPH and occasional squealing noise when beginning to accelerate (that was rapidly becoming more and more common), so I was working my way back from the engine to determine what it was. I was thinking If I disconnected the drive shaft I could let the transmission shift through gears without moving. As soon as I disconnected the driveshaft from the rear differential I saw one of the U joint bearings was just kind of hanging loosely on an angle. I grabbed it an looked in side, nothing but powder. I figured that was probably the problem, so I replaced the U joints, and the problem was solved. I am so glad it was not something more serious.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Finally hooked up the 14B FF, remember... inner clips exist too when removing u-joints :mrgreen: and a BFH is not always the answer.

readyman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks