• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

jgleasonraptor350

Put a few coats of rattle can bedliner on the brushguard and bumpers. The black paint I put on when i got the truck is starting to chip from driving around in the woods so i figured bedliner was the way to go. Looks great now!

forest522

My son and I actually washed the M1009. First time in several months! Been driving her two to three times a week, she's not too keen on the elevation around here but doing pretty well. Seems to smoke a little more...

edpdx

Was hunting on Saturday. Left camp to get some diesel for my SHS Tent Heater. The lake resort nearby didn't sell it. Drove 20 miles downhill to town. Around mile 18 I began to hear the passenger rear brake grinding. I figured the shoes. I had tools but not enough to do brakes in the field.

There was a Les Schwab near the gas station. I pulled in and explained that I had left camp unnatended. They spoke 'hunting' and got my M1009 on the rack in a few minutes. They pulled all the wheels. The fronts were still quite good. The driver rear had blown a wheel bearing seal and the leak caused the shoes to be too slippery to contribute when I got on the pedal. The passenger rear was doing all the work and fractured everywhere. They showed me an estimate for $296. I agreed- I was thinking they were gonna bend me over, to be honest... They stayed late to do the job. And never asked for a penny more. Best of all, nothing was missing from my camp and I got an evening hunt in.

Kudos Les Schwab of Ashland, OR!

Durango_USMC

I've been trying to track down a transmission leak for the last couple pf days. Before the haspin rally I let the truck idle to warm up a bit and start checking things out. I came back out after about 15-20 minutes to a nice big puddle of transmission fluid under the truck. After cursing a bit I started looking for a leak, there was fluid everywhere and I couldnt track down the source. So yesterday I let it idle 15 minutes, no leak, today idle for 30 minutes, no leak. Check the fluid with engine hot, and idling Fluid looksfine and was above the full line. I havent had a trans leak since I got the truck and havent added or subtracted any fluid... nor have I had any trans fluid leaks. I'm scratching my head on this one. I think it may have been coming out of the dipstick tube based on what was and wasnt wet.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A couple weeks back I got a Tahoe for parts for the CUCV II; pulled the rear axle and springs and some motor parts and then hauled it to the scrapyard with the m1028. The gross weight was 15,100 lbs.
DSCN0437.jpgDSCN0434.jpg

SRB1976

Did some more stenciling today and added some decals:cool:

PB020165.jpgPB020166.jpgPB020167.jpgPB020169.jpgPB020170.jpg

Lightly sanded a decal on the rear bumper that was painted over.PB020168.jpg

It's hard to make out but it looks like it says on the top "ND NG" and the bottom "TMP 160" I wonder where I can find these decals?

100acre

Towbar

I mounted a light towbar on my 1008 a couple of days ago. I had to grind and file down the inside of one of the shackles about an eighth of an inch. At first i just strapped it in place, but they seemed too weak, so I used chain and a carabiner. I figured if I need it, it's there and its not sliding around loose in the back. Plus, I could always adapt a wire/cable cutting blade to it. Or lower it into ramming position for all the Prius drivers out there....for when the shtf...of course.:whistle:

Attachments

Last edited:

I_Publius

I parked my '84 m1009 in a new position on my driveway last night, with the nose pointing down the driveway (down hill). Today i see a big, new puddle under the front of the engine on the driveway. (New driveway...my wife really loves my "project truck"!)

I checked the leak and it appears as though the fuel pump is leaking, so I ordered a new AC Delco, part #43254, from Amazon for $32 and will replace this next weekend. (My local parts store wanted $54; i saved over $20 plus free shipping on Amazon).

I hope this resolves a hot starting issue i have had lately. :)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383535918.621369.jpg

86k5

I parked my '84 m1009 in a new position on my driveway last night, with the nose pointing down the driveway (down hill). Today i see a big, new puddle under the front of the engine on the driveway. (New driveway...my wife really loves my "project truck"!)

I checked the leak and it appears as though the fuel pump is leaking, so I ordered a new AC Delco, part #43254, from Amazon for $32 and will replace this next weekend. (My local parts store wanted $54; i saved over $20 plus free shipping on Amazon).

I hope this resolves a hot starting issue i have had lately. :)View attachment 460301
What do u mean by " hot start". ? My fuel pump is getting a little messy. No puddle from that yet. But I do have one from the injector pump. With the starting, I do get a loud "screech" from time to time. Us that a hot start ?

I_Publius

No...mine would cold start fine and then after running it for 30 mins, shutting it off, coming back 20 mins later, it won't start. I would run down the battery trying to start it, get a jump start, and it would start again.

This has happened a couple of times lately. I was thinking it might be the IP (injector pump), but i'm hoping it's not, as those IP's are expensive.

Loud screech? Maybe a belt or starter? Hope it's nothing more serious.

Good luck!!

SRB1976

Fixed my low coolant light today. All I had to do was clean the module out with that spray electronics cleaner and it works8) and I have been getting the parts I need to do the spin on fuel filter mod.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks