• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Was driving home sunday evening, when suddenly, Bang, someting hit my front left wheelwell. So left the highway next exit and checked the tires.
I could not find anything wrong, so I slowly drove home, because of all the wobbling, all sandroads were used. Back home I discovered a piece of tread missing.
Tuesday afternoon went to get the spare wheels to put them on.
When I pulled the front left wheel, not only was there tread missing, but the whole tire was warped, the wheel still OK, only the tire.
Changed out all the 4 wheels and WOW!!, the death wobble is gone... :driver:

Front left tire.. :shock: Hmm, could't rotate the picture.. You guys get the idea? Mod help please?
IMG_1055[1].jpg

This looks better, changed all 4, this is work in progress.
IMG_1056[1].jpg

Oh, might need to sell my toy.. Our government wants all road-tax free cars (25-40 yrs old) to pay again..
This little toy is going to cost a lot, because it's diesel and heavy..
2560kg on diesel is going to cost € 598,- EVERY 3 MONTHS!! :-( :cookoo:

Last edited:

RobM36A2

2 options.. Truck plates or tractor plates. With the second it will be a pain to get to the War and Peace show. Or anywhere else for that matter.

rjager: Eindhoven? das hier om de hoek man!

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the pleasure of another locked brake incident today.

Driving westbound I90 with the traffic moving about 50 MPH. The left lane is exit only to I5 south and always backs up. Today it was stopped as usual. The car ahead of me got in the left lane and stopped at the end of the line. I was still moving about 45 when the jacka$$ jumped out of the line to drive around and cut back in farther up- I had to brake to maintain some distance and he suddenly braked hard to get back in the line- too much smash and I had to lock up.

This time it went a little better than last time; the new front brakes grabbed together and kept the front end in the lane, but the backs locked first and I got a little sideways.

I laid on the 200 watts of whelen police airhorn as he squeezed into the gap in the line. Between the squealing tires and the horn I'd be surprised if he didn't soil himself; he sure looked like he had as I passed.

:rant:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics of siren setup and model number so I can go e-shopping? :D
Whelen 295HFSW1 has two 100 watt outputs, so I have one speaker over the lightbar and one on the grille.

Don't use the siren tones, no matter how tempting that may be. The PA function is kind of funny sometimes. "Put the phone down!"

LandingLights01.jpg OnTop1.jpg Speaker.jpg

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hi guys,

About all I have done since the last repair (replaced all glow plugs, had fuel injection pump rebuilt, etc...)

Is too work on the electrical system. So this weekend I removed some non-stock spaghetti (wiring) installed by the previous owner
that did not have to be there,cleaned and/or replaced some electrical connections, ran a couple of new ground lines,
and power lines (with inline fuses) to the main ground, and the front battery, tightened loose connections, etc..

Now my M1009 seems to start faster, function better, has more juice in the electrical system. So the work was successful
and I am a happy camper...

Will post the next time I do something with it/to it, other than drive it.

Good day...

CJ

100acre

Tears of departure.

Bidding adieu is such bittersweet sorrow. But I sold my CUCV and trailer today. I got $7000 for both. I lost a bunch of money on the whole deal but realistically I had loads of fun, learned lots and made many new friends here on this site and abroad.... The addiction continues... So whoopee! Wish I could buy a tank or some weird looking snowcat. Maybe I'll settle for something Big and green! ....A grand THANK YOU! To everyone who ever expounded CUCV advice to me!

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the doors and installed new door hinge pins and bushings. You have to grind the bottom of the pin to remove the metal stop to get out

The doors close so much smoother :)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385990037.929061.jpg

dmilkman589

Changed the fuel filter, and air filter on my 09' and drove from Albany to buffalo for my final week of classes. The numbers said 20.5 mpg averaging from 60 to 65. Ill round down just to be sure, 20mpg with my 77000 mile 30 year old vehicle, not bad!!!

irishvin

My M1008 put new shocks front and back newfront damper to stop death wobble. Installed troop seats that were hanging out in the bed. Reinstalled the glowplug card and 24 volt resistor. Oil change rotation and balance of the tires. Put disesl treamt and filled the tank no its all ready to go but cucv wprk is never done

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks