• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

New draglink, second hand steering damper in an effort to stop the wobble. They needed replacement, but did not stop it.
Tightened the bolts from the steering box, that made a lot of difference.

In 2 weeks maybe inspection to turn it into a truck (legally), because of the tax law about old vehicles is about to change..

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yesterday I used my m1028 to haul home my new m1009. It was a 400 mile round trip, I got about 13 mpg on the way there (total weight about 10,500lbs), and about 8mpg on the way back (weighing close to 17,000 lbs). The truck did surprisingly well towing it, going 55-57 no problem, and stopping excellent with the brake controller.

Attachments

Logistics

We have been using four M1009's for security vehicles. They work great (no one has figured out how one was speared by a forklift through the front bumper into the engine but that is another story) and have a perfect home. Here is one in which the engine went....everyone wondered why I took that lot of remacs in the can...pull one out and drop a new one in.

Attachments

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

DH relay, moment GP switch tapped to over-ride just in case not used daily, solargizer install, new lift pump, 3 new belts and getting ready for floor liner with rubber floor and stereo install.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally!!! I got that stupid horn working!!!! After replacing The horn, Relay, Fuse,Turn signal switch, And all horn button parts. Removing the noise filter and scotch brite to clean each wire connection it works!! After fighting this thing for a month i thought i'd be happier to hear it work. But just relief! Now i can get a state saftey inspection and start driving it on the road again.
Next Task? I just got a newly rebuilt 6.5 with a turbo from a friend who totaled his 94 K2500. It's got about 1500 miles and will soon replace my tired 6.2 that has been knocking for two years. It's on the stand now and i'll start pulling the turbo and manifolds off tomorrow. And anything else that will convert it to N/A. I hope it makes more power even with out the turbo.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made some interesting discoveries while tracking down snow chains for my M1009.

The costco ones suck. They use a big rubber band to tension the chains on the wheel. That big rubber band requires feats of superhuman strength to install. The chains listed for 31x10.5-15 barely fit, making the install a pretty frustrating endeavor.

I have previous experience with the Laclede Alpine Sport chains so that’s what I was looking for. The size for the 31s is 2324 and I found one set on craigslist for $40. Everyone else wanted $70 to $90 a pair and weren’t interested in bargaining. By some chance I discovered that there is another size; 2524. They also fit the 31s and seem to be much heavier duty than the 2324s- the bag they come in is twice as big.

So if you’re searching craigslist you’ll want to use the search terms, 2324 or 2524.

Now I have to decide whether to use the two sets I have or pick up that other set of heavy 2524s I see listed…

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The high idle was not working on Blazer 3. Last week I checked appropriate fuse, it was good. Checked for +12 volts at the temp switch, yep. At this point I noticed that the temperature switch had been changed and the previous owner installed a temperature sensor designed for the glow plugs. They even installed the new connector and spliced it in. That should of been a hint that this was the incorrect part.

Went online and ordered the correct GM temperature switch along with a new actuator assembly. Parts arrived on Wednesday, installed both today and now the system is working correctly.
Karl

tbearatkin

Replaced both batteries with Car Quest AG3478-84 880 CCA batteries. I did not realize how slow the old batteries were turning over the engine until I cranked it over with the new batteries Cost $116.19 each. After sitting for two weeks waiting for new batteries and temp in the low 20's it started within 5 seconds of turning the starter over.

Last edited:

I_Publius

Being that we are in the middle of one of our infamous 10 year major ice storms here in the north TX area, that got be thinking about getting chains for my CUCV. I have questions, though. Do we need one set or two for the trucks? Are these 2524's as big of a pain to put on as they appear to be?

I_Publius

Rewiring cig lighter

I began work yesterday on rewiring the cig lighter in my m1009. I added the 12 ga wire to the GP relay, but need to find a good location to put the black wire.

Last week I added a new petcock to my Racor spin on fuel filter, on top, to bleed air out of my fuel line. Amazing how a little aide will keep the truck from running.

I also added two new batteries, a new GP relay, and replaced the glow plugs (under warranty).

max1008

I replaced my leaky radiator, new thermostat, new cap, flush and add new coolant. The system took some tme to burp out the bubbles. I will get my old radiator repaired and keep it for a spare or possibly sell it.

Bert
what part number is the radiator?is it all brass?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All chains are a pain to put on- some are a little less so. The Laclede Alpine sport chains are probably the easiest to put on.

I_Publius

That is what I figured. All of this global warming is causing more ice than usual here in my region. ;)

I need to get a set, just in case it is needed.

Do I only need one set? For the rear?

forest522

Second annual Christmas tree trip! This time the front battery jiggled loose and had a little party. Ended up falling into to the upper heater core hose, wearing a small hole and creating quite a bit of havoc. A lot of duct tape on the hose, a spare nut on the battery hold down and we were back in business...slowly but back. Left with a tree, she loves the tree! I spent all morning in the cold today cleaning off the green goo, re-securing both batteries (just in case) and replacing the hose.

Total investment: $3.18 for the hose, $8.99 for one gallon of antifreeze mix. Again, she loves the tree and memories were made! I still love the truck!!

max1008

I like my scc super z chains with the rubber band. The first use is hard to get on but after that they went right on. Once i get off the highway there is a parking lot that is always plowed and I could get the perfect "cast net" throw and they will go right around the tire. They were on my colorado not my cucv though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks