• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

chief1983

Fixed a leaky yoke! Couldn't believe that was the problem. Put on a replacement yoke, but in the meantime I've used NAPA ultra black silicone sealant on the original one, and it seems to be holding, so now I have a spare.

rsh4364

For the first time in 2 1/2 years and 23k miles my 1009 failed to start,I don't blame her tho,its been pretty cold here lately and havnt started in 3 days.It was 5 last night with windchill of -10.Guess its time for a rebuilt IP and a block heater.I also forgot to dump in fuel additive last fill up.Im getting no smoke and oil looks feels like molasses in January..not in color but consistency!

For the first time in 2 1/2 years and 23k miles my 1009 failed to start,I don't blame her tho,its been pretty cold here lately and havnt started in 3 days.It was 5 last night with windchill of -10.Guess its time for a rebuilt IP and a block heater.I also forgot to dump in fuel additive last fill up.Im getting no smoke and oil looks feels like molasses in January..not in color but consistency!
If you fuel hasn't completely gelled, which I doubt it would do at just those temps, get some heat on that block, charge up your batteries, and I bet she fires up after groaning at you. You might give this a try too:

http://www.powerservice.com/d911/

rsh4364

power service additives is what I normally use,dumped 8oz winter and 8oz 911 in tank,pulled aircleaner top, shot with 2 seconds of start fluid and she fired right up,instantly,I have manual glows and did not use! Thanks.

rsh4364

Honestly first time I ever used on any of my motors and this is my first diesel,but she started instantly.I am kinda amazed,It was probably more like a 1 second shot.

Baer

Ready for another starting problem? I replaced the batteries on my 1987 M1008 with mil spec and had the transmission rebuilt and everything was running fine. Then it turned cold and overnight she refused to start. However unlike rsh 4364 here in central California "cold" is lows in the high 20s. So I charged up the batteries and bled the fuel line but still no go. What do you suggest I try next... other than moving out of California (that's already at the top of my To-Do List)?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ready for another starting problem? I replaced the batteries on my 1987 M1008 with mil spec and had the transmission rebuilt and everything was running fine. Then it turned cold and overnight she refused to start. However unlike rsh 4364 here in central California "cold" is lows in the high 20s. So I charged up the batteries and bled the fuel line but still no go. What do you suggest I try next... other than moving out of California (that's already at the top of my To-Do List)?
Suspect GPs.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to catch up on a few projects

1. Blacked out tail lights
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387251918.780616.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387251939.647442.jpg

Fire extinguisher mount
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387251964.879627.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387251975.546385.jpg

Magnetic interior lights
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387251997.446452.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387252025.713071.jpg

Receiver hitch
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387252068.429752.jpg

5 ton tether strap for wheel chock
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387252115.130086.jpg

goldneagle

DH starter relay mod completed. (harness was hanging down with a new relay on it. The olde relay was still attached to the back plate when I lowered it down from the dash.) Since the relay attached to the harness was "new" not the original, I was not in a rush to replace it. Seeing the relay hanging above the accelerator was a constant reminder that I had to do the mod. Sunday we had a Sunny day (finally) so I replaced the relay and secured the backing plate under the dash. Another project out of the way.

Next is the fuel filter upgrade. Found the same FM100 unit that Gimp sells but had the heater kit and water sensor kit included for $20.50 shipped. Got a case of NAPA Gold filters in 5 microns for $21 shipped. Just have to figure out the color code on the wires feeding the water sensor. 3 wires (red, black and yellow.) Need to adapt the wires to the existing wires on the truck harness. Anyone know the wiring that feeds the existing fuel filter housing?

epitts

. Just have to figure out the color code on the wires feeding the water sensor. 3 wires (red, black and yellow.) Need to adapt the wires to the existing wires on the truck harness. Anyone know the wiring that feeds the existing fuel filter housing?
The best answer to give is too check the TM, that way you know for sure!

RobM36A2

Went on a trip to Amsterdam. Enjoy lights on houses and afterwards blasting through all the tunnels there. :driver:
On the way home needed to fill up on diesel, because I was running on fumes..
Just before the gas station my transmission decided to act up.. Just made it to the station, filled up and went on my way.

Christmas morning decided to check the level of ATF.. ****, nothing left on the dipstick.. So put some leftover ATF in, about 500ml, not enough, I know.
Checked again, still nothing, looked underneath, drip drip drip.. A cooling line is leaking..

Is it possible to unscrew or tighten the line from underneath? Already found out it's the bottom one.

This morning tightened the lines from underneath.. difficult to get there, but it worked.
Started the engine, no dripping. Filled up the tranny with in total 3.5 litres of ATF. The little green monster rides again! :)
Also changed out the rear side markers with LED's from my Van, I need to take out everything with value, because they want to take it away..

The inspection thinks my Van has an illegal VIN-number..

Last edited:

Baer

Does the starter thread ever stop? I just left the extension cord trailing from the shop out to the M1008. Now waiting on UPS to bring me my mil spec GPs and GP relay. The good news is I was able to find mil spec GP relays on Ebay at a fraction of the cost for make due products at the local auto store.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks