• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Went to a friends workshop, to fix a minor brake issue.
First took the wheel off, no problem so far.. Try to get the hub off, wait, first get the axle out...
Took the axle out, **** it's heavy.. Then the drum, even heavier..
Checked all, sanded the drum and shoes and put it all back together..
Now to find a brake testing unit, to even out the difference in braking power rear left and right. 4000 kN vs 2000 kN

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to a friends workshop, to fix a minor brake issue.
First took the wheel off, no problem so far.. Try to get the hub off, wait, first get the axle out...
Took the axle out, **** it's heavy.. Then the drum, even heavier..
Checked all, sanded the drum and shoes and put it all back together..
Now to find a brake testing unit, to even out the difference in braking power rear left and right. 4000 kN vs 2000 kN
Try handling 5 ton axles and drums, those are heavy :)

Ilikemtb999

Honestly, I borrowed the idea from an earlier thread post. Start around post #2744 and read on. The belts are available from ebay for less than $20/pair, search for HMMWV seat belts. It's well worth the effort.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?54524-What-have-you-done-to-your-CUCV-today-lately-Part-1&p=1224383&viewfull=1#post1224383
Awesome thanks! Quick question, I see he used brackets for the female side, Did you use the stock hardware for mounting the male side on the B pillar?

Billman

Yes, the stock hardware on the B pillar works with only one small issue. The hole in the seat belt "reel" is ever so slightly undersized. I was able to clean it up with a 1/2" drill bit and cordless drill.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I recently had a problem with the 1028 where the light fuse would blow whenever the running lights were turned on. The driver's side turn signal was also constantly on when it was activated. So I checked the bulb sockets, cleaned the fuse block, cleaned the grounds, and took the dash apart. Disconnected the trailer wiring - nothing. Disconnected the rear harness and the fuse stopped blowing.

I removed the rear harness and unwrapped the tape and saw the problem. The truck had what I thought was an extra ground going from the rear bumper through a Packard connecter and into the harness. It wasn't a ground. At some point someone spiced into the running light wire, and grounded it to the rear bumper.:-|
Rewrapped the harness and removed the ground and everything works fine.

McCluskey

Had a big bill with the mechanic lately. Injection pump rebuilt, fuel pump replaced, starter replaced, vacuum lines replaced (were original), steering linkage repaired, and some minor electrical work. Truck is a different beast now, drives much better.

ammuscle

Today was a great day, Finally got me an antenna mount. Got it mounted antenna attached and cb working! Got a 24v Solargizer in and got it all hooked up, and last but not least started on the interior truck bed coating. Man, i love these M1009's!!!!

AECS

Bypassed the 12 volt resistors and connected it to 12 volt bus.

Then....

I got it stuck in the mud! It is now home and dirty, but the mud will stay for a day as a badge of honor/ shame...

AECS

Today was more fun... The vac lines to the tranny finally gave up and cracked, so i replaced them. Tranny now shifts great again. However while test driving it to verify proper shifting, i noticed a trickle of radiator fluid coming down the firewall...

Pulled the heater core and had 3 small leaks, fired up the torch and soldered them up tight!!!

Also while perusing this site realized I made a boo-boo last week and added dot3 fluid to the system... Next weekend drain and flush and bleed the brakes....

a68cudas

over the last year i have replaced engine with rebuilt one, put in all new group 31 commercial duracell batteries from sams club, dual exhaust, 3 core all aluminum radiator, driver side alternator and got a 25 gallon fuel tank and straps in which i prepped metal to etch it and applied 2 coats off por 15 1 coat chassis black and rubberized undercoating, the tank will never rust out again!!! also within last 2 days i did the manual glowplug mod and the doghead starter relay mod. I have the inner and out tailgate window seals but havent done them yet they are next on list and new universals for drive shaft.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found 8 NOS GM 14038644 throttle cables so I installed one to fix the frayed one on Blazer 3. Also modified the heater fan to run off a single power feed and use 3 relays to select the fan speed. This modification takes more current off of the head light switch.
Karl

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh..I've been searching for one for a couple of years. Care to share the source or part with one?

I may have 2 left after supplying my friends with a couple of them. If I do end up with any extras I will let you know.

They were not cheep but they are GM OEM. These parts hunters knew what they had and the value of them.

I also found military fuel caps, starter brackets for the direct drive starters, pins and shackles and even GP cards.

All at greater than premium prices!
Karl

Baer

I may have 2 left after supplying my friends with a couple of them. If I do end up with any extras I will let you know.

They were not cheep but they are GM OEM. These parts hunters knew what they had and the value of them.

I also found military fuel caps, starter brackets for the direct drive starters, pins and shackles and even GP cards.

All at greater than premium prices!
Karl
I too find I have started a parts collection I may not need but need the parts I do not have. For now however I find I am in need of a starter bracket, having had "modified" mine yesterday to fit a new starter (but would I would like to be able to rebuild the old one for a spare). So please contact me as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks