• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Not with mine, but one from a friend:
Rewired a M101a2 trailer to the Euro style lights.

Without any electrical plans, we removed the original plug and cable where the trailer harness begins.
Unplugged the connectors and put power on them 1 by 1, to figure out what they belong to.
After we determined that, changed out the 24V bulbs for 12V ones and plugged the Euro wires on the original connectors.
Also pulled out the red screen in the cover, so the BO markers can be seen.

The BO markers are now functioning as blinker lights, only to paint a little orange, of change the white bulbs for orange ones.
The other BO light cables are going to be rewired to licence plate lights.

rjager

Did the doghead relay mod and changed 7 of 8 glow plugs.
Nr 8 is stuck and now its soaking in penetrating oil.

I was afraid more would be stuck or swollen but all 7 came out easy.
Once loose I could remove them by hand.

doghead mod.jpgglow plugs.jpg
The old plugs are AC Delco also but with a smaller connecter.
I changed al the connecters to with new ones that fit nice on the new plugs.

Hopefulle after a few days of soaking the last one will come out.

cpf240

Anybody know what depression with rod accross it on passenger side behind passenger side seat mount is for?
In the civi Blazer / Jimmy, the whole passenger seat, base included, tilts forward to allow access to the back seat. That is the catch for the latch, same as the rear seat uses when it is not tilted forward.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked my wife how she'd feel if I traded the M1009 for a boat; she said she wouldn't be happy. She loves when we're out in the mountains crashing through the brush and not worried one whit about scratching the paint or getting high-centered.

One thing she's been asking for is a grab handle so she can get in and out easier and have something to hold onto when the truck is bounding through the ruts. After a frustrating search in Home Depot and Lowes for some D-rings with a mounting tab, I found these. I spun up some 550 cord and screwed them into the ceiling of the truck. They'll easily support all my weight so she'll have no problem.

Grab1.jpgGrab2.jpg

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I experienced the dreaded No-Start this morning. It was probably about 48⁰, I cranked it a dozen times or so before it begrudgingly fired off. I took it to work anyway though, belts squealing with the alternators loaded down trying to recharge the batteries….

So anyway, I got home and started the troubleshooting in the -20

19. ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START; ENGINE COLD; “WAIT” LIGHT OPERATES
Step 1. Ensure that key is in “OFF” position. Check for voltage between glow plug relay
terminal where orange lead connects and ground.
If there IS voltage, replace glow plug relay (see paragraph 4-8) and perform
step 3.
If there is no voltage, perform step 3.
I cleared step 1 with no voltage at the orange lead, although either way it says to perform Step 3. Wait, why is there a Step 2 if you’re going to go to Step Three with voltage or without?

Anyway, I went to Step 3 and had either zero or .7 ohms on the four GPs I checked, didn’t see much point in continuing. So I ordered some Bosch GPs which will be here hopefully by the end of the week.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I got.this M1008 from GSA. Whopping $954. Has no bed which is perfect for my needs.GSA list at least a dozen issues along with a window warning " Not safe to drive". 2 batteries and a single revolution and she goes up and down the road. Sometimes you strike out on GSA, other times you hit a home run. This was a grand slam.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's actually a pretty glossy tan but with the green mold growing on it, that pea hue shows through.

Keith_J

I went for a drive today in the newly air conditioned 1031 with the wife. I wanted to show her the AC and she was sitting in the middle seat, wearing a jean skirt...well, that under-dash unit really blows COLD :mrgreen:, as in upskirt draft cold. She forced me to shut it off after about 10 seconds. Yes, it gets under 40 F in that time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks