• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I'm very happy with it. Cleaned off some of mold and peeled off the numbers on the front fender. Looks better every day. Hopefully Behr soon.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SignalMaster mounted on top. Combination of tint and blocked view made me mount it there...

Relocated Aux brake/turn as well.. no pic yet

2014.03.26_13.56.54_zpsi9qghoa9.jpg

Added 2 LED lights to the rear, brighter than my headlights, and $50 a pair... holy crap..

Side by side comparison. Off and on. No flash, same exposure settings.

light.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Drove the CUCV II and blazer out of the backyard before the ice starts to melt and it turns to mud. Pulled the passenger side inner fender on the blazer and removed the battery bracing. I've got an NOS replacement, it doesn't have the bracing but it is punched where the battery tray bolts go so it should be easy to line up the braces and weld them on to the new inner fender.

Attachments

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

Does anyone know how to remove rear window crank on 009?? My crank cam broke and I'm not sure how it comes apart. I was going to install a new one today and can't figure out how it comes off.Please pm me.

rust4days

Does anyone know how to remove rear window crank on 009?? My crank cam broke and I'm not sure how it comes apart. I was going to install a new one today and can't figure out how it comes off.Please pm me.
Hey man saw your post figured I'd give a helping hand. There should be three rivets holding the whole assembly to the tail gate but you will have to put the window all the way up or partially down to get them out use a punch and a hammer to get the centers out then drill thru the rivets the whole thing should come apart and you'll have to take your window out Also to replace it make sure when it all goes back together it sits in the track correctly

Subdood

In the last couple weeks I have done the GP resistor bypass /removal, done some cleaning on electrical connectors under the hood, changed the cdr valve and oil, direct connected the wiper motor (big improvement), and did some troubleshooting on the horn today. At some time in the past one of the previous owners had put some parts in wrong orientation in steering column so it was on all the time with the relay installed. After some research in the TMs I was able to figure it out and realized the horn contact is missing, so I will hunt one down and see if I can get it working correctly. Also put new tires on (31x10.50R15 Wild country XTX4s). Like em so far.

Last edited:

rust4days

Mechanical lift pump and push rod replaced fuel filter replaced new starter new starter wiring GP resistor bypass new GP relay new GP, s new GP wiring harness made from 8 gauge wiring GP card bypass with 8 gauge wire and push start button both alternators rebuilt most of the engine harness replaced and starter relay bypassed with a Ford relay and lastly replacing my fuel injector pump this week, if any body wants a good deal on a rebuild I can give you the eBay store name these guys rebuilt this thing real good looks like new with a 1yr warranty

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sun finally came out so it was glow plug time. The truck didn't feel like starting and I probably misted a quarter tank of diesel out the tailpipes before it kicked off. I pulled it up in front of the garage and got the step-stool. I had picked up eight Bosch 80034 glow plugs for $65 from a seller on ebay, but only got seven- plus one 80024. Unfortunately the maintenance won't wait, so I replaced seven and left the forward left-bank one in until the correct one shows up next week.

After that the aircleaner came off to facilitate the removal of the resistor pack. I'm done with that thing. Rewired the GP relay to the 12v bus and put the whole thing back together. Got in the driver's seat and turned the key...wait light........ignition! I'm back on the road!

Cgosms_2014-03-3005-56-57.jpg

After I had it running I mocked up the antenna for the ham radio install, coming soon.

Cgosms_2014-03-3005-56-05.jpg

RobM36A2

Fixed my passenger side window.
I could roll it down, but not all the way up without some help.
So I pulled off the panel, rolled the windows down, and up again, while inspecting..
Found out one of the pieces of metal inside was bent out of shape, so with a pair of pliers and brute force, i bent it back into shape.
Bend, roll up, roll down and repeat this a few times, now I have a window that rols all the way up again. :-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shiny tan GSA. truck I bought had the Gen 2 light on and wasn't chathing. Inspection revealed a loose positive stud on the alt. I took a spare that stopped working a while back to the bench and rebuilt it. Swapped in new batteries and the rebuilt alt. Good to go.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I parked on a steep hill nose-up all day, and the next day I parked in the same spot but severely nose-down, again all day. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but the day after that my brakes went spongy. Checked the reservoir and the forward chamber was almost empty, and I'm pretty sure what was in there sloshed around and air got in.

I bought some DOT-5 but I wasn't confident that's what was in there so I decided to flush it all through. During the bleed I let the back reservoir go dry....dang. All the pumping wasn't enough to push the bubble out, so I hooked up the vacuum pump and sucked it out. Then back to pumping until new fluid came out. Then I attacked the fronts and put it all back together.

I can't find a leak anywhere. I guess I'll just check it after every long trip.

Last edited:

M1009 NEWBEE 2013

1 pair stereo speakers installed, new antenna, new fusible link at back battery. I have new tailgate window crank, second pair of speakers, new 1800 watt converter, new audio input cables, new aux power outlets and cig lighter housing in the box awaiting install. I will update with photos once all are done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks