• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did an oil change today. The new GP Module is working great and thanks Antennaclimber for all the extra assistance!

unaffiliated

Did my first real journey since having the engine out for major repairs other than the usual test drive. I drove 65 miles to my sister in law's house to help my niece get rid of a junk vehicle. The truck ran fine but has a wicked driveline vibration from 40-45. I have to deal with that because it is pretty bad. I got her junk vehicle finally loaded on the trailer and started up there very steep driveway. The truck just didn't want to pull the hill with the extra weight so I decided to back up and get a running start. When I hit the brakes, the pedal went to the floor. It got kinda hairy for a second because there is a pretty bad drop off but I recovered. Anyway, I looked under the hood and the fluid level in the front part of the reservoir was going down rapidly. I looked underneath and discovered the hard brake line from the coupler at the middle of the vehicle back to the rear axle valve had ruptured due to rust. I;m stranded here till my sister in law gets back in the morning, then it's off to the parts store for some bulk hard line. This should be fun laying in the dirt. Hope the rain holds off.

jccomer9

Well lets see, since the last time I posted I have replaced the high pressure steering hose from pump to hydro (feels good to have ps and brakes again). Also installed a radio and sony 6x9 speakers. Done some other minor stuff too but cant remember what...

phil2968

uploadfromtaptalk1398622131873.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398622150977.jpg
Well not so much what I have done but I will have to do! I heard a bang the other day. Looks like the tooth has been missing for a while. I could not find the tooth or any of it's remains, not even on the magnet.

MarcusOReallyus

The truck ran fine but has a wicked driveline vibration from 40-45. I have to deal with that because it is pretty bad.
Watch that bugger! If it's the driveshaft, you can trash your transfer case pretty quickly. I wrecked a transmission that way a couple of years ago. :(

I looked underneath and discovered the hard brake line from the coupler at the middle of the vehicle back to the rear axle valve had ruptured due to rust. I;m stranded here till my sister in law gets back in the morning, then it's off to the parts store for some bulk hard line.
Look into the copper-nickel alloy stuff. More flexible than steel, and more corrosion resistant than stainless. I plan to do mine in the near future.

unaffiliated

I went to Auto Zone yesterday morning and picked up a 60" and a 20" pice of ready made brake line and a union. I bent them as best I could to the original shape and installed them with the two P clamps that were still remaining to secure them to the frame. The TM called for a 78" line so 80" was close enough. It took forever to bleed the brakes but with my niece's help, we got her done. She learned from her daddy how to be the peddle pusher in the brake bleeding game. I prefer to use a pressure bleeder but when my brother passed away, my sister in law gave me most of his tools and the brake bleeder was one of them and it was at my house. I need to replace the rest of the hard lines because they are all rusty. I had to put the truck in 4 wheel low to pull out of their driveway.I made it home hauling the vehicle with no additional problems.

unaffiliated

Watch that bugger! If it's the driveshaft, you can trash your transfer case pretty quickly. I wrecked a transmission that way a couple of years ago. :(

Look into the copper-nickel alloy stuff. More flexible than steel, and more corrosion resistant than stainless. I plan to do mine in the near future.
I think my vibration has to do with the fact three of the bolts that hold the trans to the engine fell out and the other three snapped off. That is why I had the engine out, and to fix a bunch of other stuff. I think it warped the flex plate. I should have replaced it but I plan to install a 700R4 later and didn't want to buy 1 now and then have to buy the R4 flex plate later. Oh well, live and learn. Guess I will have to pull the trans and replace it after all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whilst swapping out a rear axle assy, I found out that stubborned ubolts that won't back off with my best 1/2" impact, were no match whatsoever for the 1" impact.

Keith_J

I traveled 240 miles in the 1031 SECM over the weekend for an MVPA event. Several things that happened include losing almost all the DOT 5 from the front of the master cylinder (unresolved) and blowing out the cap on the high pressure side of my air conditioning unit. The AC was an easy fix, loose schraeder valves. New cap and a pound of 134a refrigerant fixed that.

I pulled rear drums this morning, no leaks there. Replaced the port side seal as it was cracked. Starboard looks fine so it stayed.

While at the MVPA event, I overhauled both alternators. Easy job, just didn't have compressed air to pull the pulley nut. No problem, had the box end wrench and a Lisle 8mm socket head bit for 3/8" ratchet. Worked almost as well as impact wrench.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I traveled 240 miles in the 1031 SECM over the weekend for an MVPA event. Several things that happened include losing almost all the DOT 5 from the front of the master cylinder (unresolved)...
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. I noticed the brakes felt weak and the pedal was closer to the floor than I remembered- popped the cover and…hey, where did all the brake fluid go? I’m watching it right now.

I had been parked on a hill, steeply nose-down so I wonder if it got past the gasket in the cover and leaked out on the ground.

Keith_J

Replaced the wood liner on the tailgate of the contact truck. The original wood had been dry rotted, carriage bolts could not be tightened as the holes were rounded out. No more sag. But need to replace the chains as they are rusted and causing the tailgate to dip to the left. All new hardware too as the bolts were quite rusty. The aluminum shell needed some slight work too.

00Buck

Noticed a rattle coming from the idling engine at the fuel station on Sunday. Thought the power steering pump line was vibrating on the mounting bracket, but discovered to my amazement that the three bolts holding the pump to the bracket were missing. Two were completely gone and the third was sheered off. I briefly panicked before looking through the tech manuals and getting the bolt part numbers and googling them. They are 10 x 1.5 metric, two were one inch and one was 1.25 inch length. Put a little locktite on them and put it all back together. I can't imagine what kind of damage could have erupted had that pump come free from the bracket. You all need to check this the next time you have the hood up.

soulbrojosh

Earlier this week I replaced the stock mufflers with some really inexpensive ones i got from summit racing... passenger side was a piece of cake(upside down), but could someone please explain why the drivers side exhaust has bends in it? it took 4 trips to Autozone and some cutting of the stock pipe to get everything to almost fit. Am going to Tuffy to have them finish filling the gap at the front of the muffler.

Also bought a new brake pedal cover, and am waiting for epoxy to dry so that i can reattach rear view mirror. Just happy to be able to drive it now that its insured and tagged!!!!

Dozer11B

Installed the new to me 3rd row seat I got from an 80s Suburban a few days ago. I was told about a salvage yard deep in the woods that may have some square body chevys. They had a bunch!

This seat was pretty crusty, but luckily it had spent quite a bit of time folded down so I just needed to dust the cloth off and scrub the mold from the vinyl. I tore it down and removed most of the rust from the brackets of the new seat and my worn out CUCV rear seat, then I sprayed them with undercoating. Put everything back together and put it in yesterday afternoon.

Might go back for the female seatbelt ends, but I think I'm going to replace all seatbelts in the truck with new units.

Near future plans include rear tire carrier bumper, cutting out rusty rocker panels and replacing with steel tubing for sliders. Also looking at a roll cage kit. I have a line on a 24v 18.5K winch as well that a guy is going to rebuild for me, so that may force me to buy a winch bumper, lol...

I added a recent pic of the truck. K9Vic should get a kick out of it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the wood liner on the tailgate of the contact truck. The original wood had been dry rotted, carriage bolts could not be tightened as the holes were rounded out. No more sag. But need to replace the chains as they are rusted and causing the tailgate to dip to the left. All new hardware too as the bolts were quite rusty. The aluminum shell needed some slight work too.[/

What did you use, regular plywood? Need to replace mine too and I'm thinking of using a composite product because of the exposure to the elements. Plywood cracks, develops splinters, and compresses under the weight of the vise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks