• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

ammuscle

Changed antifreeze and radiator hoses for the upcoming months and while i was at it i installed a 600w block heater hopefully that will help for easier starts and quicker heat for the winter.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'll take some measurements and such of the crane mod for those who are interested. The square tubing is 1/4"x2"x3".

Yesterday I picked up this USMC m1008. It looks like it was once a Massachusetts state police truck, then it was used by Mass forestry for parts.

The cab and frame are rotten, but there are still some good parts on it. Once I take most of the parts off it'll be heading to the scrap yard unfortunately.:x

Attachments

SRB1976

I got a lot done to my M1009 lately. Replaced all the weather stripping on both doors and the back window. Replaced both front parking light assemblies. Right now I'm working on replacing the dash pad. So far I removed the old one and painted the new one.

I_Publius

Bought parts for my 09 today at a salvage yard. Found a M1009 at a salvage yard and was able to get my rifle mounts for inside the cab, a power strip for inside the cab, several other odds and ends, and a rear bench seat in great condition for cheap.

Oh...and a resistor from the firewall. :)

Last edited:

richingalveston

I moved my front axle back one inch to stock location (have ORD zero rates).Jacked truck up and put frame on blocks so that tires were hanging. Removed drive shaft, ground on cv joint until it did not bind anymore when tires are dropped. Did not take much the drive shaft would still turn but had hard spots in it where it was hitting the stops.

I Had to move the axle so that the tie rod did not hit the pitman arm and also the tie rod and steering rod were to close together. The clamp that connected the hydro assist cylinder would not fit on the tie rod. Moving the axle back to stock position fixed both problems.
Installed the PSC hydro assist kit. new pump, remote reservoir and new steering box. My steering box I removed from the donor suburban was not good.

Tires turn with one finger. Weather is bad and do not want to drive it in the rain until I get my inner fenders installed. They are going to require a small bit of modification.
I will update my build thread with the pics. I am waiting for my parking brake cable to get here then I can get it inspected and start road testing it.

May get started on the fenders tomorrow. Currently my batteries are behind the passenger seat since the fender and trays are currently removed.

Rich

I_Publius

It was either I pick it up or it get thrown in the scrapper when they trash the truck. Figured I'd keep it or get it to someone who could use it, since mine has been converted. :)

cucvrus

I would have grabbed the resistors also. Anyway I just purchased a new CUCV dash pad. I bought it from Brothers Chevrolet Truck parts. It is an awesome OEM replacement. Very well made as good as the GM ones. I have installed hundreds of the GM ones over the years so I have something to compare this to. They have the OEM rubber floor mats also. I just put one of them in a customers truck. Fit like a glove. And not OJ's glove. They have the Blazer rubber mats also. Along with all the precut sound deadener's and floor insulators. Good Luck and have a nice day.

Lizard Dog

Just had a local tint shop install clear film on all the windows. I went with Llumar AIR80, which gets you nearly 100% UV ray reduction and almost 50% "Total Solar Energy Rejection" without the look of tinted windows.

Lizard Dog

Is this to save interior from fading?Or avoiding Skin cancer?Just curious.
Both are correct gents. To reduce interior temp and protect my nice new seats, dash and panels from sun-damage. I'm extremely pleased with the result so far. Much more comfortable inside, the seats don't burn me, and I don't have to worry about the interior getting destroyed in the desert sun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks