• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

the skull

I put a new return fitting in the top of my IP today. Previously broke out the glass
ball/spring when it was clogged, couldn't make 30 mph, had a huge blue cloud
around the truck. After destroying the fitting, it ran well. But had a surging
condition I couldn't get comfortable with, and after lots of research and asking
people that know diesel engines,I put a new fitting in it. Problem solved.
Five minutes, and under $30. If you're interested, Stanadyne p/n 23183.
It's also in the TM

donalloy1

Replaced OEM Starter with unit from DB. Mechanics at work said better than original? Will see how it holds up. Sounds kinda funny!

In process, dumped GPR and Glow Plug Controller Card. Thankfully no more damage as of yet. Waiting for her to cool down so I can go through complete Cold Start sequence. Wish me luck!

I miss CUCV Electric! Need to replace Card I installed today!

Lizard Dog

Last edited:

the skull

It's almost like the engineers put that in for a reason lol
BUT! Mine was clogged, and gutting the fitting fixed the immediate and
embarrassing problem. Plus I learned more about the IP on the truck,
and the lesson only cost me $30. I'm not real sure I could have gotten
the old fitting cleaned out well enough. I tried to clean it before I gutted it.
I'm learning as I go. I'm also meeting some very intelligent people,
something that, unfortunately, seems to be a rare occurance.

the skull

Followup to previous post!
Determined to prove that mankind is its own worst enemy,
I made a scrap run today. Plugged the new fitting with whatever
the old fitting was plugged with. Not sure what is going on.
Got home, pulled the top off the pump and used a power brake
bleeder to suck all the crap out of the pump (and all the diesel fuel).[thumbzup]
Proceeded to try to start the truck. :doh: Spent 20 minutes bleeding
air out of the lines hee hee hee. Runs pretty good right now, I'm
going to put the old fitting in the glovebox to use
for an emergency. And a small toolbox.

the skull

Scottladdy, the stuff is really fine and looks like varnish,
not black and chunky like the flex ring is coming apart.
Brown and flaky? Not rusty. And I have a new fuel filter, the
silver square one, and a see through plastic fuel filter in front of it.
Must be some varnish in the bottom of the pump? Maybe I overdosed
the thing with dieselkleen? It runs ok with the gutted fitting.

cucvrus

022.jpgI hit a nice 6 point buck on Sunday November 9th at 6pm. I was doing 65 MPH heading south on US 220 5 miles south of Dushore PA. The deer died instantly. The CUCV M1009 sustained minor damage. It was time to R&R the front bumper and brush guard for repaint. And also 1 of the KC day lighters had a bad ballast. I repaired the grille to keep the OEM parts in tact. This unit I had since 1996. It is all OEM same injection pump, radiator and all. Runs everyday except the last 2 days. You can see it is in excellent condition. It is all the original sheet metal. My son brought the KC lights home from Iraq in 2009. I will post more pictures when the repairs are complete.

Attachments

scottladdy

View attachment 526492I hit a nice 6 point buck on Sunday November 9th at 6pm. I was doing 65 MPH heading south on US 220 5 miles south of Dushore PA. The deer died instantly. The CUCV M1009 sustained minor damage. It was time to R&R the front bumper and brush guard for repaint. And also 1 of the KC day lighters had a bad ballast. I repaired the grille to keep the OEM parts in tact. This unit I had since 1996. It is all OEM same injection pump, radiator and all. Runs everyday except the last 2 days. You can see it is in excellent condition. It is all the original sheet metal. My son brought the KC lights home from Iraq in 2009. I will post more pictures when the repairs are complete.
Glad no one (but the deer) was hurt.

cucvrus

033.jpg034.jpg035.jpg036.jpg037.jpg038.jpg039.jpg020.jpg021.jpgThis is more pictures of the repairs I made yesterday and today to my M1009 after hitting the deer. I pulled the hood and sprayed it and the radiator support with this rustproofing. It is awesome stuff. It dries and remains pliable. And retains the clean look for years. Of course mud and dirt will dull it. It makes excellent undercoating on the entire vehicle and under hood. I also wanted to show my washer fluid reservoir. I made it from an empty DEF tank. and a CUCV front battery tray that I cut down and mounted. My son ran this truck back and forth from or home to Fort Drum every other weekend for 4 years. I also have the euro fender mounted LED amber turn signals. This M1009 has 121K on it and runs like new. I have stainless steel exhaust on it. 99% original. Line X interior and roof rack. I would drive it anywhere. I do opt to drive my new truck on occasion but take this when danger is lurking. Parking lots and the cabin are good for CUCV's. This is the unit that cost me $20. to have the transmission repaired. OH yes I wanted to show you the 2014 CUCV IV. That is the nicest driving of all the trucks I currently own. Of course it is it is brand new. I had to order it to get a regular cab with manual windows and 8 ft. bed. it seems everyone wants the power and chrome.

Attachments

Last edited:

I_Publius

tell me about the Rusfre solution. Spray or roll on? Difficult to apply?

Glad to hear that the CUCV stood up to a PA sized deer. With knowing that, I feel better about driving around here in TX with our German Shepherd sized deer we have in Central TX. ;)

cucvrus

did you at least get any venison out of it??!
I went back and I looked at that poor herbivore laying there and thought poor thing. I had my family and grandchildren with me. It's head was turned backwards and its jaw shattered . 2 legs broken completely off and I thought no way. It is not worth the effort. Till I gut that thing and load it on the roof rack I will have an hour outside in the middle of nowhere and be covered in blood in my good clothing. And the 2 grandchildren will be terrified. This is no win situation. I thought about it and did vehicle damage assessment and decided to head south again. So on we went and after thinking about it some more I think that was the wise choice. I would have been cleaning blood and innards from the vehicle roof and gate for weeks to come. I can buy meat. I enjoyed the chance to work on my M1009 since I rarely ever have to do anything but normal routine maintenance to it. I will keep it dead lined till the KC light is returned from repair. It is non mission capable without them lights. I did all the grille mods to fit the lights on the truck. The brackets are designed to make the lamps theft proof. You better bring a torch to get the brush guard off to get to the lights. Anyway I am driving my Mule now.

Attachments

cucvrus

tell me about the Rusfre solution. Spray or roll on? Difficult to apply?

Glad to hear that the CUCV stood up to a PA sized deer. With knowing that, I feel better about driving around here in TX with our German Shepherd sized deer we have in Central TX. ;)
I spray this material. I thin it with PPG DX330 wax and grease remover. It dries in a couple days at low temperature like we have in PA at this time of year. It is inexpensive and has better coverage then aerosol cans of undercoating. It cleans up with the DX330 and the Rusfre company sells a gun to apply this material. I have used it for years. Google it and get the good stuff.1 gallon will do an entire truck after it is thinned.

Lizard Dog

I sprayed a center console with Duplic-color "Burgandy" vinyl paint. Turned out nice, but does NOT match the CUCV red/brown interior. Now I've done my research and will be giving it another shot with SEM 15063.

IMG_4516.jpgIMG_4517.jpgIMG_4518.jpg

TGP (IL)

After five years of owning this M1028A2 finally got it repainted and spruced up a bit.
Still need to install rear mud flaps as required by IL. law and running boards to protect the lower doors and front of rear fenders.
More importantly so the wife gets in easier!
Need to decide if OD or Black?
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Lizard Dog

After five years of owning this M1028A2 finally got it repainted and spruced up a bit.
Still need to install rear mud flaps as required by IL. law and running boards to protect the lower doors and front of rear fenders.
More importantly so the wife gets in easier!
Need to decide if OD or Black?
Tom
Good lord that looks nice.

I'd probably go green with the running boards but that's just me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks