• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Connected the moonvisor today. Looks nice with those orange lights on top.
Wired them through a separate switch, so I can switch them when I like to.
Edit: Made a picture when it is more dark outside.

Moonvisor-on.jpg Moonvisor-dark.jpg

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a couple of months being angry at the Blazer, I got it out of the garage and fixed it. You see, when I installed the new kingpin bushing springs (dana 60), I left out the preload washers that aren't really supposed to be in there anyway. The resulting death wobble made the truck undriveable. So I put the washers back in and now it is well behaved again. That simple. Tomorrow going to do the Sutherland Trail, its a 4 of 5 technical rating, I expect no issues.

squaretaper

Put new tires on- the bulging 265/75 HTs went to the trash heap where they belonged and fresh 235/85 Cooper A/T3 pizza cutters are now on the ambulance. Feels a lot more positive on the street and I'll have a chance to test out the "skinny tires grip better when aired down" theory when we take off on a 2000mi on/off road trip as soon as the camper build is complete...

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Squaretaper, report back please on the tire performance. I have read the physics of skinny tire theory, but what I see working on the trail has me unconvinced.

squaretaper

ujoints.jpg
Olly- will do. Will be hitting the Outer Banks and will have a chance to test the sand performance. I've heard good things about the A/T3s- almost went with the S/T MAXXs but I was honest with myself about how much time will be spent on pavement and went with the slightly less aggressive model. Also completed a front axle U-joint swap and hub rebuild, replacing the black gritty goo in the hubs with Royal Purple and swapping in U-joints that actually move for the U-joint-shaped chunks of rust that were there.

spartan_185

I finally got around to working on my m1008 during my time off in the past few weeks. I added a 6" rough country lift kit, 37" humvee radials and beadlocks with 2" spacers, and a homemade flatbed. I also added a custom made pipe bumper, a new exhaust system exiting through twin 5" stacks going through the bed, a m939 fuel tank plumbed in for the long haul, and a fresh coat of rapco paint over it all. It was a lot of fun. All I have left is to add some route clearance lights.

Attachments

spartan_185

How did yo plumb the extra tank?
I have beenplaying with the idea of an extra tank.

Just did a 300 mile round trip today.
I removed my stock fuel tank due to it being exposed when I installed the flatbed and plumbed the 923a2 fuel tank into the existing lines with the correct fittings. Since the tank was already set up for pickup and return lines it was fairly simple. Just bolt it down and plumb it up. I am even using the M939 sending unit and fuel gauge inside the cab.

86m1028

I finally got around to working on my m1008 during my time off in the past few weeks. I added a 6" rough country lift kit, 37" humvee radials and beadlocks with 2" spacers, and a homemade flatbed. I also added a custom made pipe bumper, a new exhaust system exiting through twin 5" stacks going through the bed, a m939 fuel tank plumbed in for the long haul, and a fresh coat of rapco paint over it all. It was a lot of fun. All I have left is to add some route clearance lights.
Wow Bret
Looks like you have been busy.

When can I drop mine off for paint ?

spartan_185

Wow Bret
Looks like you have been busy.

When can I drop mine off for paint ?
I could probably work you in right after my ongoing home remodel, but I figure that by the time that's finished my truck will need a repaint again :p. Plus I really dont want to see another paint gun for a while after this one.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With Rayzer's help and the help of the CUCV diodes and relays sticky, I repaired my factory horn and horn button and hooked up 116 Db stainless marine horns. :) Anyone that decides to cut me off in traffic will get a very rude awakening!!

Attachments

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I learned from Sutherland Trail :

I absolutely need a locker up front,
I would not go with LESS lift,
I would not go with a taller gear, 4.56 is just right,
I would not go with smaller than 36 inch tires,
I would pack a better lunch, those grocery store breakfast burritos are terrible.

max1008

Love the truck, I cant wait for my bed to be destroyed so that I can go to stake body. What size is that stake body?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yesterday and today I put the m1028 to work. Originally I set out on a local trip to pick up a CUCV shelter/van body with a van towing my trailer. The van had fuel problems, so I went home and got the m1028 and towed it back.
DSCN3908.jpg
Today I went out and picked up the shelter. It's designed to go on a dually CUCV. It has quite a bit of room compared to an s250. It makes the truck about half a foot longer, so the bumper needs to have extensions. Conveniently enough I already own the right bumper setup to put this shelter on a truck.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Wow, only ever seen a handful of those. Very cool. Any data plates on it?
It has both dataplates on the door. The dimensions data plate is faded, a friend of mine locally has one as well with a nice dimensions plate on it. I think I have a picture of it. I've seen 3 of these boxes total. 2 of them came from the local base, I remember seeing one of them on a truck a few years back.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks