• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

AECS

Loaded 400 pounds in the back and 2700 pounds of car to a trailer and hauled it all ftom Lemoore over I the grapevine, through LA, to San Diego. All with my 09 on ee inch tires.

1StumpJumper

Drove it without the death wobble! Go figure after replacing the steering gear, kingpins, tie rod, tie rod end, drag link ends, repacking wheel bearings, and installIng O.R.D steering brace. Yes,they all needed to be replaced. Now to get a handle on balancing the 12 bolts with 37s.

Last edited:

richingalveston

get centramatics, they work. My 39 inch tires ride with zero vibration at 75 mph.
I had balance beads and Hutchinson bead locks, truck ride was terrible and got worse when one bead lock came apart.

built my own pvc beadlocks, bought these centramatics and the truck ride is incredible.

you can get PvC beadlocks for the 12 bolts from "trail worthy fab" My rims were 16 inch so I had to make my own. Highly recommended for weight and balance. the PVC weight is about a third of the hutchinsons or other rubber inserts.

last picture is centramatic on stock 1008 rim, they do not work with stock rim but do work on most others including hummer takeoff rims.

Attachments

richingalveston

there are many makers of the pipe, it is a 16" schedule 40 pvc coupler. you need to source it locally. look at plumbing supply places that do large sewer and drainage pipe.

The supplier I used was ACT pipe and supply. They are located at the corner of beltway 8 and Highway 290 in Houston Texas.

I looked on line and with shipping the cheapest I found was about $200 per piece. I got these locally for $108 each and I was able to make 4 beadlocks from the two couplings. I wanted to measure and check it first to make sure it was going to work and so I drove about an hour each way to get mine.

Drock

Both my alternator belts were too loose, even when adjusted all the way out to the end of the adjustment slots. So after much research I found the next size down (Gates #7480 & #7570). They were ah little snug to get on, needed ah screwdriver to help feed them on. But now I have an extra 1" of adjustment left in the slots if needed.

KansasBobcat

Did Doghead mod to M1008. Second time for me, Momentarily confused by new relay installed and old one still attached to mounting plate. Looked like the old one except had 55683-90-15591718 on label on the bottom of the unit. Is this an improved unit or just a replacement? DID doghead just to be sure. Strarted right up...no problems. Changed oil and filter and air filter. Charging 6TLs tonight and will paint air filter cover tomorrow and start on rust. May need driver door and front fender depending on body shop estimates. Any suggestions appreciated. The Govplanet photos do not do justice to the dents...not whinning , this is just part of the game. The truck is really rust free, better than My M1009 that came from California. No perforation but havevn't removed floor mats... stay tuned

KansasBobcat

The new relay is mounted 90 degrees from the old one. That is it sticks up90 degrees from the plate. The old ones mount parallel to the plate. I know, no photos... Doghead relay still 12.00 at Oreillys. What a deal. Look in lawnmower section don't ask for help!

KansasBobcat

Charged the 6TLs, painted the rusty air filter housing, cleaned the filter wrap,removed the door signs fromdoors with heat gun and razor scraper,degreased rear differential ? seal, cleaned filler neck hose area that leaks. Floor mats tomorrow! I can't wait..

get centramatics, they work. My 39 inch tires ride with zero vibration at 75 mph.
I had balance beads and Hutchinson bead locks, truck ride was terrible and got worse when one bead lock came apart.

built my own pvc beadlocks, bought these centramatics and the truck ride is incredible.

you can get PvC beadlocks for the 12 bolts from "trail worthy fab" My rims were 16 inch so I had to make my own. Highly recommended for weight and balance. the PVC weight is about a third of the hutchinsons or other rubber inserts.

last picture is centramatic on stock 1008 rim, they do not work with stock rim but do work on most others including hummer takeoff rims.

Rich, would these fit on the Dana60 FT with recentered H1 rims on 37" ?

nevermind Rich.. you had answered me back in May of 2013... they will work... just have to use part #370-800 and advise i need the flat ones.... thanks..

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

Charged the 6TLs, painted the rusty air filter housing, cleaned the filter wrap,removed the door signs fromdoors with heat gun and razor scraper,degreased rear differential ? seal, cleaned filler neck hose area that leaks. Floor mats tomorrow! I can't wait..
Removed nasty floormats and jute backing that felt damp. Some rusty areas but no perforation! Will wire brush, apply Eastwoods rust converter, prime and paint. Will install minimal floor mats like in M1009 and hopefully avoid more rust. Found log book under seat but no useful information just forms to fill out if accident, etc. Vehicle was assigned to DOL, Ft. Hood but bumper markings partially painted over.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Today I used the crane on the m1028 to lift a mep-701a off of a small utility trailer. The electric winch works good; the truck does squat quite a bit with over 500lbs on the hook. I still need to run wiring for it, and I am planning on building a stiff leg jack for that corner of the truck.

No in action pictures as it was just over 0 degrees here today.

Attachments

aaaguy

Hay guys new to the cucv game but just got a 1986 m1008 62000 miles love these trucks but first thing to do is 700r4 swap I think I know every thing I need so you all probably know my next question plz can anyone help me find a tv cable bracket none on ebay right now pm me if you know where to get one.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had Nerf Bars added to my truck this week! This in preparation for the new seats that we are installing this month! This will help to not wear out edge of seat so fast!
DSCN3674.JPG

Will be adding screw on filter housing next week to replace leaky original housing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks