• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009 sat patiently while I took care of one of the other vehicles in the motor pool. Changed the oil and filter on the wife's Liberty and then got to swapping out the wheels on my toolbox.

It seems they spared at least one expense on this toolbox and it's the wheels. They started falling apart- like chunks breaking off. It was getting to where rolling it around wasn't safe. I found some wheels at Harbor Freight that would fit, and bought four of them, all casters. The box came originally with only two that castered and the other two were fixed, and that made it hard to maneuver in the garage. The downside is that now the toolbox has no brakes.

Now for a little rant about Harbor Freight.....
The wheels have a grease fitting so you can grease the bearings. I didn't look too closely when I bought them and two were cross-threaded, one was half-installed and the one was right. I put the grease gun on the one good one and pumped some grease in. When I pulled the grease gun off the fitting pulled out of the wheel. I got some pliers and tried to pull the fitting out of the grease gun and it broke in two. Oh well, I guess I'll spray some oil up in the bearings and skip the grease.

Wheels2.jpgWheels1.jpg

Last edited:

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
streamline;
what brand? cost? Im looking to add nerf bars when I get my lift. Can you post a full on side view for length?
They were a universal type that my guys at LineX in Athens GA put on for me. Im not sure the brand! They were $250.00 installed. They had some trouble installing them because they get installed right to the frame. Im going to have to do a little reinforcing to make them more sturdy for me!

DSCN3746.JPG

DSCN3744.JPG

I would like them better if they were longer! I would rather the step bar be past the door on both sides but hay it works!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I would post this in the radiator thread but I can't figure out the search function today. So anyhow, Advance Auto Parts has a 35% discount coupon code that should work on most parts, it looks like tools and oils are excluded.

CODE MISSUA5

cucvrus

003.jpgFinally after the 11/09/2014 Deer hit we are back on the road to adventure and what ever comes my way. The new lights are the icing on the cake. I just took it to the GM garage and had a complete service done on it and had the tires rotated. It did not need anything for PA state inspection. I am still convinced that it will be running 30 years from now. I do not use it as a daily driver but I do use it and maintain it as if it were my only vehicle.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Setup a 12 volt jumper assembly for the Slave port. Used Anderson connectors to quick switch between 12 and 24 volts from the slave. Also then jumped the m1070 het to move it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422225946.640517.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422225962.840704.jpg

RobM36A2

Brilliant solution Swiss!

In other news: Used my M1028 and jumper cables to start the M36 up on wednesday.
Did not need to use them today, The M36 fired up like normal :)

Last edited:

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after finally getting a new mechanical fuel pump in stalled last month. We found out the fuel filter housing was leaking at bottom. So finnally today we upgraded the Fuel housing to a Universal Cummings Spin on Fuel Filter housing! Works great and now I can get filters at any truck top or Auto Parts place and its only 8.00 or 9.00 dollars for a fuel filter! Happy...Happy...Happy!

Fuel Filter Housing Upgrade!
maxresdefault.jpg Older Original normal Fuel Housing and Filter.

20150126_190154.jpg Took Old Bracket and flaten it out, Drilled new mounting holes and added a brace!

20150126_190237.jpgAttached Universal Housing with 4 bolts to new bolt holes in bracket. Added washers between New Housing and bracket to insure good level fit!

20150126_205529.jpg Bolted Bracket with New housing back in Original Bolt holes because we used same mount from old Housing.

20150126_205519.jpgWe added compression fittings and a elbow hooked right to original fuel line. Works great!

KansasBobcat

Installed glow plug card From "Antenna Climber" which cured the constant cycling after starting for over a minute and wait light not always coming on when cold. Will probably order another card for M1009.

Mfriguy

Installed glow plug card From "Antenna Climber" which cured the constant cycling after starting for over a minute and wait light not always coming on when cold. Will probably order another card for M1009.
When you say "cycling" what exactly does it sound like/do? Just wondering if my m1010 needs the card

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks