• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

edpdx

I noticed that the left turn dash lamp was on when I pulled my headlights on. I posted about this before, and read threads on it that others had started. For no conscious reason I wiggled the turn signal lever and flipped the hi-beams on... some wehere in there the left turn lamp normalized and went out.

Is this likely to be ignition switch (above column), or turn signal cancelling cam related; you know, bad ground?

MarcusOReallyus

Burned the lights fuse on my way home.
Heard a hissing sound, followed by a flame near my feet and my lights went out.
Turned on the lightbar and drove to a gas station 100yards further.
The 20amp fuse had caught fire. and melted down.
Pulled the remains out and put in a 25amp fuse.
I looked it up and a 30amp should be in there, but the biggest fuse available was a 25amp.
10 minutes later at home, the 25amp also was hot.
Ohw well, another small issue to fix. Thinking about putting a relay for the headlights.

That's supposed to be a 30 amp fuse, but something is weird about it catching fire. An overloaded fuse should just blow. I'm wondering if there's another problem in that circuit.

But the headlight relay is a good idea - that circuit just carries too much load. Not the best design!

cucvrus

I sat in the M1009 looked around. It was 10 degrees and I said no way. Save wear and tear on me and the old truck. Took the new truck and went for coffee. Less torment for both of us. It was early and I didn't want to wake the neighbors.

RobM36A2

That's supposed to be a 30 amp fuse, but something is weird about it catching fire. An overloaded fuse should just blow. I'm wondering if there's another problem in that circuit.

But the headlight relay is a good idea - that circuit just carries too much load. Not the best design!
It's strange, because it happened overnight, so to say. A few minutes before i smelled something burning/melting.
All other fuses were cool, it was only the main lights fuse that burned. and the replacement was hot also.
Just going to put a 30amp in and put the headlights on a relay.

cucvrus

Well when I got back from breakfast I needed to move the M1009 so I could access the wood pile. Guess I jinxed it with my previous post because it would not start. After a NOS direct drive Delco Remy starter, starter bolts and 8 AC Delco 13G glow plugs it fired right up. I guess that was OK. I had several of the OEM new starters and they were in double boxes. The price on the part sticker was from 1993 $400+. The government bought that and stored it. That is not bad. The last time I even worked on the starter and glow plugs was 7 years and 80K miles. I sort of figured something was wrong it was starting hard the last 2 weeks. I hardly use it during the winter. The starter would only turn the engine for 5 seconds and disengage and spin free. Either has a way like that. Bad Bad.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the bus bars and cable bundle from a "radio Blazer" so I can put the batteries behind the passenger seat. In a steel box, of course, Optimas, vented to outside. Mounted the high lift jack under the front seats. Unlike the jeep guys, the Blazer is wide enough to put it there. I'm on this kick to put heavy stuff down low, between the axles. Probably makes no real difference, its just me.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a couple front fenders from a M35A2, cutting them lengthwise to make "military fender flares" for the Blazer. Looks like they will fit OK, i just don't want the plastic aftermarket ones.

number9er

Started sussing my heater blower (or lack of) problem yesterday. Checked that the 12v wire was getting voltage - it was. Jumped the 12v input to the battery - nothing. Pulled the blower and wired it up to my boat battery and it tried to jump across the floor. Motor was fine. Took a wire brush to the parts that should ground to the truck as well as those places on the truck itself. Put it back in and Houston we have heat.

roveroverme

Banned
I was stuck with a broken starter bolt. Trips to 5 different auto parts stores. Each store had one starter bolt, 3rd store had an easy out 5th store had an easy out and a set of lefthand drill bits.
I like to use left hand drill bits as there is already a chance that the bit turn out the broken off bolt. if not it won't exacerbate the situation by bringing it even further up the thread.
When I got home I saw that the bolt holding the bracket to the block was backed out.

jterry211

So what did you do for the gen lights since they are a part of the circuit for the charging system?
I converted the truck to 12 volt and removed the gauge and the light bulbs. Bypassed the relay next to the starter relay and ran 12 volt keyed to the one remaining alternator with a diode to start the charging. Much simpler set up less things to go wrong. Still got two batteries just 12 volts and a crap load of amps.

Jason

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part number or link? These are next on my to-do list.

Can't link because of policies that would impact revenue generation by the site.

Just search 7" 45W head light on popular auction sites.

Also, I'd hold off for now, until I can review it, not all chinese products are good.

There is a review of the smaller 4x6 light though....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1BV5zBfDPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJtvccUoJ6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuUvbo5Qjps

Ilikemtb999

Can you weld ah nut on it? Or is it down inside?
good luck. did the same to mine and ended up replacing the water crossover. I have a good spare if you need one.
I tried heating up the crossover and using vise grips and that didnt work. Welded on a nut and it snapped off on the inside of the nut. Ended up drilling it out and tapping it. Used PLENTY of anti-seize on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks