• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20150307_141408.jpg20150307_153151.jpg20150307_161853.jpg20150309_110655.jpg20150309_191541.jpg

Building a winch bumper. It's still a work in progress. Dimensioned for the warn series 18. Front center is going to get a piece of channel with fairlead. I think I'll put deuce shackle mounts on it (thanks wreckerman)...

(If you can read this, roll me over...)

cucvrus

I was doing some barn storming today. I needed to get some parts out of the barn and the 13K M1009 was in my way. I had not had it out of the barn in years. I went and bought 2 new batteries and put them in it. I hopped inside turned the key the wait lamps came on cycled and went out. It started instantly. I have not had it out of the barn since about 2008. I put it in reverse and backed it out into the ice covered driveway.I left it idle for 15 minutes and shut it off.315.jpg329.jpg333.jpg324.jpg309.jpg308.jpg323.jpg311.jpg310.jpg312.jpg313.jpg325.jpgAfter I removed the CUCV truck bed that was in front of the 1984 M1009 I put it back in the barn again. I removed the batteries and left it sit and relax again.321.jpgI wanted to add the picture of the batteries installed. That way you know this is no cock and bull story. And I did notice that someone that was helping me did the resistor bypass. I will convert it back when the mood hits me. Without the dust the engine looks like new.

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

Installed a new AC Delco mechanical fuel pump with new rubber fuel lines. Removed a broken starter bolt, replaced said broken bolt. Installed the correct gear reduction starter motor support bracket (for the 24v gear reduction starter my truck has) to eliminate any further bolt failures. Kudos to the local GMC dealer for actually having the bracket in stock. Installed a under hood insulation kit. Still on the fence if it made any appreciable reduction in noise or not.

cucvrus

OK here we go again. I sold my 1986 M1028A1 that I had for 19 years. I had my son drive it to Connecticut and I followed and lead him at different times during the 250 mile trip. I have a 2014 Silverado pick up and we drove at 65 to 75 MPH the whole way. I have nothing to prove to anyone here. I went out 78E and up 95N. My new truck has cruise and analog and digital speedometer. I set the cruise at 74 and my son was on my tail or passing me at times. I heard him coming under the tunnels and bridges in NYC. I have out lived my wanting to drive a CUCV 4:56 pick up on the highway ever again. That is the most annoying sound. This truck has been with me since 1996 at 13K miles. It now has 172K miles on it. It has been from East coast to West coast and back twice. It was used hard but it still runs excellent. I just wanted to bring this up again because I had so much nay sayers that said they don't run that well or fast. I may have had a special design.I doubt it. But today I did my home work and I still stand by the picture of the speedometer I posted before. The speedo is not dead on in the old CUCV M1028 but my new truck is I am sure of that.288.jpgThis is the picture last week it is no longer sitting or working in my wood lot. It served 19 years and went for restoration and a new owner today.

sebaeb

IMG_0523.jpgUsed my tow bar for the first time yesterday and the ole 1028 handled it like a champ!...the towed truck tracked behind with no issues...

corvette9

Today I pulled the orig. floor mat and padding out of Cucvrus old truck that is now mine. Also removed the left front fender and wheelwell. Completed my parts list to start the rebuild of the body of this old girl.

BG

iasc399ia

Herculined the interior of the M1009 and added a couple more KC lights

The herculiner was way easier than I thought. Used rust stopper and preventative and applied two coats and then two coats of herculiner. Feels like cement. I'm extremely happy with the results. Still have half a gallon left after the recommended two coats.

I'm going to do the wheel wells next with the herculiner.

Attachments

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Started tearing apart the driverside rear drum/hub to find out why it keeps locking up and needing the adjustment screw backed off constantly. Then going to do some PMCS and a little lube service. Hoping to take it to the Haspin Rally this year so I have my work cut out for me.

latvius

Completed the fuel filter mod. I reused the original bracket by heating it up in a forge, flattening it and bending it around backwards. I actually have the hoses connected wrong in this picture and have since swapped them around.

IMAG0605.jpg

latvius

Thx, yeah I may still put another gauge in. Would be helpful to give an idea of a filter change. I copied everything from previous posts though. Copied a little too close though as the one I copied used a different housing and I did not pay attention to the fuel flow directions. So when I plugged mine it it was backwards..inlet to outlet and vise versa.
Nice install,similar to mine.Good idea on fuel press. gauge,I put 2 gauges on mine,1 pre-filter and 1 after.

I dont know if this has been addressed yet with the cucv but has anyone noticed that the transmission floor pan isnt removable as it is in other gm trucks ?

I had a 1982 Chevy truck and it had this removable section unlike all of the cucv's I own.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have some that the floor is removable and some it is not. I have a couple of the covers I saved from ones I scrapped. I used one to convert a 2WD cab to a 4WD cab. Handy little piece of sheet metal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most automatic trucks didn't have this after 1981. 4 speed trucks did have removable pans. Google turned up a pic heavy thread somewhere on the interweb. Converting one of mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks