• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Keith_J

Had the gen 1 light dimly glowing when the heater was on full, cleaned the heater fuse and all is gone. I needed the defog, doing 100 miles in rain at 60 F.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to change out the air filter yesterday.... The current one had been squashed down to fit in the assembly. I thought their had to be a better answer. I checked and double checked part number. They match up. The new air filter will need squashed down in order to fit as well. Input needed. Is this the right answer?
Are the studs side by side or beside each other? Might have a HMMWV intake.

the skull

Skull, if they are the stock studs they will only go in so far, the stock ones, at least mine, have a stop and will only go in so far. Also if its the stock air cleaner, even if the studs are in to far, the base of the air cleaner would not crush the filter, they simply wouldn't fit up through the top of the air cleaner.

Good point. Thank you Sir.
But you never know what the good people at the Fire
Department fixed when they had the truck. I should
check mine out and see what it looks like.

That being said, I need to cut some wires out of mine
as soon as it warms up out there.

Durango_USMC

Finally got into the drum. Had to modify a socket to fit the spindle nut. Its not looking too pretty in there, but Im trying to find out what is causing it to keep locking up and having to adjust the screw...Screenshot_2015-03-24-00-27-50.jpgScreenshot_2015-03-24-00-27-39.jpgScreenshot_2015-03-24-00-27-32.jpgScreenshot_2015-03-24-00-27-26.jpg

Durango_USMC

Looks kinda wet in there. Leaking seal? Grease or oil on the shoes will make it susceptible to locking up.
Im not really sure whats going on in there. The inside of the drum and the shoes were pretty dry. Ended up spraying the brake hardware with brake cleaner. The hub on the inside of the drum however, had some oil in there but no grease. Not sure if thats normal or not. I was going to replace the brake hardware and grease the bearings but Im not shute if I should do that or rebuild the hub...

Drunkle Scuzzy

Didnt have time to look at the transfer case linkage after fixing some other things around the house. I did lubricate all the hinges and the window tracks in the doors, they are all working with much less squeaks and protests. It made a big difference rolling down and up the door windows, they were barely moveable before.

Durango_USMC

Got the brake drum hardware kit for both sides, red wheel bearing grease (says ngli 2 specs but for disc brakes, was all O could find rated for wheel bearings though), brake cleaner, and two rear inner oil seals. Im going to clean up everything I can lube a bit and tackle the brake hardware. Hopefully that will get my on the road for a bit. Also sprang for 8 new glowplugs. Probably not needed but I canr remember whats in there so the AC60g's are going in.

Assel

finally did the doghead relay mod today, weather was nice so if there werent other things to do Id worked more on the CUCV...changing brake calipers, rebuilding the drum brakes, putting in a new master cylinder etc....all that still needs to be done... Im curious how it will start now, there should be a loud "click" when the relay engages ? Did not start her up yet, batteries are still out ^^

Durango_USMC

Well managed to get the passengerside drum off... found that blown oil seal! Also found thise weird spiral thing inside the axle after I pulled thr shaft clear.... this project gets bigger by the minute it seems.

Attachments

corvette9

I installed both new bed sides yesterday. The bed floor I got from Cucvrus when I bought the truck is like new. Bed sides went right as they should. I will start on the cab rockers and corners next weekend. Cucvrus has been a great help with some very hard to find parts. He seems to have all those little things that only came on cucv's. I can't thank him enough for his support after I bought the truck from him.

I'll rip right through the body work part of this project cause thats what I do. I know most guys' would run from this type of work and I don't blame them. I bought this to keep me busy on the weekends. I'v done so many Corvette resto's over the last 20 years that I'm liking the work on this old steel Chevy. All the guys that work for me think I'v gone mad. Who know's?

IMG_7441.jpgIMG_7442.JPGIMG_7443.jpgIMG_7444.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

003.jpg002.jpg004.jpg005.jpgI went out and did some early spring logging. I sold the M1028A1 and now I am using the M1009 for the trail work. I also was not sure if I ever showed the recessed LED license plate light I installed on the roof to project the light onto the plate. It works well. The 4LO is the only way to go when you are dragging the loaded trailer off road. It makes it much easier to control the speed on the hills and keeps the engine from working so hard. I had several trailers M416/ M101A1 and this is my favorite because it is low and easy to load and unload.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks