• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

MarcusOReallyus

Thank you sir. Lights up the night that's for sure. 6500 hid kc day lighters on bottom and 5000 kc spot lights on top.

Yeah, they are dual purpose, too. If you park it about 3 feet away from another vehicle and light those things up, they will remove the paint in just a couple of minutes! :mrgreen:

Keith_J

Pulled a heavy load with the SECM, dump run of old composition roofing and junky lumber. 4280 pounds, plus the trailer. I was over the load limit on the scales so I had to pay extra. They don't know what is in the box ;).

I determined my SECM weighs in at 8225 pounds, minus the red headed step son who helped offload. He is a buck eighty in pounds at a penny a pound. Worth his weight in gold though.

I was well over 14k GCVW. Slower than the US Army Personell Center in St Louis MO :shock:. But still made better than 40 mph up the steepest hills. Did 4WD low range to climb the garbage mountain.

Another Ahab

Pulled a heavy load with the SECM, dump run of old composition roofing and junky lumber. 4280 pounds, plus the trailer. I was over the load limit on the scales so I had to pay extra. They don't know what is in the box ;).

I determined my SECM weighs in at 8225 pounds, minus the red headed step son who helped offload. He is a buck eighty in pounds at a penny a pound. Worth his weight in gold though.

I was well over 14k GCVW. Slower than the US Army Personell Center in St Louis MO :shock:. But still made better than 40 mph up the steepest hills. Did 4WD low range to climb the garbage mountain.
We got one of those over here in Fairfax County VA:

- Mt Trashmore

tony42692001

1986 Massachusetts 1028

Half way done with my 1986 M1028. ten inch lift sitting on 40's. new 3.5 dual exhaust under bed dump. new rockers and cab corners. Interior all redone with bedliner. Brakes rear converted to disc. Frame bed and cab off, everything sandblasted. PSC hydro steering assist. New Spicer u joints and driveshafts. Currently rebuilding a 97 Cummins for under hood.

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my 4" lift and 37" tires installed, went with steel spacers for the front as I don't trust the aluminum ones. Though my CUCV is technically an m1028 it's really outfitted like an Jr. m1031 so I may end up giving it its own nomenclature when all is said and done. As far as the 4" lift goes there was plenty of room to turn without any fender trimming. :grin:

Attachments

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Got my red Lund moonvisor off the M1028 and with a screwdriver I got it as far apart as I needed for paint.
After some prepping, made a start on painting it camo.
Got some matte black rustoleum and sprayed the underside black. Now the inside view from de M1028 is not red anymore, but black.
It is quick dry, so as soon as it's dry, i make a start on prepping and painting the topside.

Pictures will follow, am taking them, but will post them when finished.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A few months ago I posted about getting a fiberglass shelter designed for a CUCV dually; that one has gone to a new home but today I picked up another one. This one is a little more complete, with a couple of Vidmar cabinets, a Mosler safe (locked of course, and the default combo doesn't seem to work), a bunch of outlets, fans, etc., and it's got the stairs that hook to the back.

It's mounted on a DRASH trailer chassis right now, but I think I'll be removing it and making the trailer into a hauler for my M-Gator (it's almost the perfect size, if a little overbuilt).

Attachments

Durango_USMC

Hope I did it right

Well hoping I did the new hardware and shoes right. Its my first attempt at drum brakes and had no real guidance beyond the TM and youtube. So second, third, fourth opinions and so on will be greatly appreciated.

Please note (as I hope this is correct) that the thicker shoe is on the rear and the thinner one is on the front. (all pictures are of the driverside)

Also note the shoes are not snug to the pivot point in this picture. I'm still trying to adjust the screw and move things around to get them all the way snug. But theyre almost in full contact now, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before proceeding.

Attachments

cucvrus

I think everything looks super. Nice job. The only thing I would have opted differently was the wheels cylinders. I would have purchased some new ones and put them in. I dislike taking the 1 ton rear drums off with a passion. I try to keep them on for the life of the truck. I only remove them when absolutely necessary. I have my inspection mechanic well trained. He uses the sight notches/windows on the backing plate to check for brake thickness. That is just my opinion. But the job you done looks great. I hope everything works well for you. PS polish that seal contact area on the back part of the axle stub. Make it real smooth and pretty. It makes the seal last longer without any abrasion on that surface.

Durango_USMC

I think I might go ahead and change the wheel cylinders as well, Im not really confident in them. I dont likw the idea of replacing the drums but I think I'd feel safer about getting bew ones. Driver side is deeply scores, passenger side is off ballanced and possibly cracked/damaged. I figured I might as well replace them since everything is already off. I have already separated the hubs from the drums and will probably be rebuilding those as well. Then a full oil change in the differential. Hopefully that will fix my brake lock up issues. Although, at this rate I might as well redo the parking brake as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks