• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Changed the air filter, engine oil and oil filter. Greased the entire chassis. Changed the front differential oil. I am now ready for the next expidition that I can go on. In 2 weeks we are going wheeling again. No more tow straps on this one. I hope. It happens.

Attachments

glaser06

Tore out my dash to replace lights yesterday. One burned fuse, a shorted wire, and lots of cleaning and cussing later I can see how slow I'm moving at night!

FB_IMG_1429570633762.jpg

RobM36A2

Tore out my dash to replace lights yesterday. One burned fuse, a shorted wire, and lots of cleaning and cussing later I can see how slow I'm moving at night!
How did you get the dash out? I tried that once, but snagged behind the gear indicator. I am afraid I can't get it back together when I take it all out..

glaser06

This helped me.

TM 9-2320-289-20.

4-7. INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MAINTENANCE.

YMMV, best of luck.
This site and YouTube. The speedometer cable will have some resistance but it should slide out if you give it a gentle pull (only tip I didn't get from the referenced links).

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?57461-dash-lights-not-working
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52821-Instrument-Cluster-Cleanup#post604140

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=sl41VeXMIsGMNrCkgegG&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DQwVwNpPa2JA&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHoin728EMDVc_vr_mSJYcBLcsfFA&sig2=0TsP4UWGokbRugnrIabPoQ

glaser06

Today is weatherstripping...
DSC_1208.jpg

Already did the door seals around the pinch weld on the cab, now cleaning up the vent window frames while I wait on FedEx for the new vent window seals. Pics likely to follow in a separate thread if there's any interest.

llong66

hello,

My window/door seals are on the TO DO list for the summer, I have also heard the many stories about the vent windows not fitting correctly. I found this vendor www.1aauto.com reviews on their fit /finish and quality are good!
Hope this helps! If you get to it before I do, could you please let us know how it works out?" The site has tutorial videos on lots of different applications.

helolo,

Last edited:

glaser06

My great grandmother would roll in her grave if I laid an open knife on one of her quilts.
Yeah mine too. This is a moving blanket of unknown origin.

There's interest so I'll post complete steps with pictures as soon as the rain lets up and I can finish the other side of the truck. I'll post a link in this thread to the write up when complete.

avlon01

Spent the day getting her all ready for the season opener car show! All washed clean. New oil, fuel, and air filter. Rotated tires and touched up a few spots that the paint was wearing a bit thin.

RobM36A2

I went to the local season opener car meet. Stopped at the bank for some cash, but no brakes!
Opened up the brake fluid reservoir, both compartments were empty..
Did a quick check if there was any leakage from the wheels, but all was dry..
Also the visible parts of the reservoir and brake lines were dry.
After that, did some calling to bike shops for the DOT5 fluid, cause normal car shops don't have it.
After a lot of calling to closed shops, finally got a hold of someone with a little fluid in stock. it was only 200ml, but enough to fill the reservoir up.

Here is the strange thing: Went to the car meet, brakes are a bit spongy, guess i need to bleed them.
But at the car meet, did another check of the fluid level, it was just as full as when i left.. Just checked again, still the same level..
My brake shoes and pads are also in decent condition.

Brakefluid empty.jpg brakefluid silicone.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^^ I have similar experiences only without the fluid ever returning. Once every other month or so I'll pop the top off the master cylinder and it'll be a half inch low. I keep a bottle of fluid tucked down next to the coolant overflow tank for refilling. I've never figured out where it's going. No leaks that I can find.

86m1028

I went to the local season opener car meet. Stopped at the bank for some cash, but no brakes!
Opened up the brake fluid reservoir, both compartments were empty..
Did a quick check if there was any leakage from the wheels, but all was dry..
Also the visible parts of the reservoir and brake lines were dry.
After that, did some calling to bike shops for the DOT5 fluid, cause normal car shops don't have it.
After a lot of calling to closed shops, finally got a hold of someone with a little fluid in stock. it was only 200ml, but enough to fill the reservoir up.

Here is the strange thing: Went to the car meet, brakes are a bit spongy, guess i need to bleed them.
But at the car meet, did another check of the fluid level, it was just as full as when i left.. Just checked again, still the same level..
My brake shoes and pads are also in decent condition.

View attachment 556383 View attachment 556384
Check your power steering fluid level.

Durango_USMC

Mine blew a brake line... or the proportioning valve. Looks like a brake line though. Leak is right at the valve from the hose that runs along the frame rail. Dot 5 all over. Not a good thing.

cucvrus

I washed and scrubbed all of my CUCV's yesterday. It was the spring clean up. I am still washing Rausch Creek mud from the crown M1009. It was a blast. When it is scrubbed up it still looks really good and the dents each have the history and the patina is correct for the type of vehicle it is. No trailer queens on my property. I am now ready for the annual camouflage touch up. That is where you sand , prime and spot in araes the appear to have rust or bare metal. It is an annual ritual. Fix everything as it comes up and they will last indefinitely. I will post pictures.

corvette9

I'v been working on the 1028 cab rust repairs for the last few weekends. The pickup body is all done waiting on paint. Sat. all the new panels where done so I bolted the new fenders on. At that point I noticed the rt front wheel looks to far back in the wheelwell.

I spent all Sunday morning running measurments. The frame is fine but I already knew that, and for me would have been easy to fix. Bad news is the ft diff seems to be bent. Now I need to make up my mind to replace the ft end ( no idea what they are worth, I do know a forum member that has one :cool:) or just give up on whole project and find another truck. I need to get past the disapointment and make up my mind.

Other than the ft end the old girl was looking real good.

BG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks