• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rsh4364

Regardless of year or miles on a cucv I will always do the doghead relay.Just to be safe.It about killed my love for these trucks when I had runaway starter a few years ago_Of course unless its been converted to 12volt.And I already have the parts,after my first 1009 I kinda keep doubles on parts.Its here now,very happy with it,a good solid start to a nice rig.It is so clean underneath.It showed up on the top row of a semi-truck car carrier,so I got a good look underneath.

Last edited:

stationjj

I did a 2nd attempt on adding rearview mirror. I thought a rearview mirrors are the same.

I found that the LMC 12 inch rearview mirror doesn't work well. I had issues adjusting it for a good view.
I purchased a 10 inch mirror off Amazon. It works much better.

I also used Permatex repair kit. So far it works well. Only time will tell?

John

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used the Permatex repair kit. It works well as long as you thoroughly cleaned and prepped everything.

joshuak

This past month I replaced TRE, ball joints, front axle shaft u joints, repacked wheel bearings, shocks on all four corners, steering dampener, treated rust and painted with high temp paint as I went along the front axle, yokes, knuckles, splash guards, etc.

IMG_0596.jpg

and finally managed to get her some decent sized tires to roll on, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T.
IMG_0645.jpg

Getting the exterior the same shade of green, as well as keep chasing the electrical gremlins away are next on my to do list. :grd:

Attachments

cucvrus

Looks good. You paid attention to even the small details and that is where it counts the most. All you need is the CUCV M1028 ton truck axles and you will be good to go. :). Keep up the good work and have a nice day.

Last edited:

chief1983

One front turn signal has always looked white instead of amber, so while I was figuring out why the other front one was not working intermittently, I checked it. The passenger side had a 2057 instead of an 1157, ever so slightly longer of a bulb, and I think the housing was pushing it away from the PO's replacement socket. So I got the right bulb there, and since I had a two pack, I checked the left side, thinking someone installed a clear bulb. It was just an ancient 1157 amber that the amber color had flaked off of over time. So two new proper 1157ALL bulbs (Amber Long Life) and my front turn signals work perfectly again. Also, PO had screwed up wiring in the new passenger side socket, no amount of electrical tape is going to fix a crappy crimp job. Had to replace one of the butt connectors, and re-wrapped with self-sealing electrical tape for a better seal. Not sure I had enough wire to do all new heat shrink connectors, or room to work even with the front battery slid back.

cucvrus

2057 has to do with the brightness of the bulb. The size is the same as the 1157. They make a 3057 also, even brighter. Not much difference in brightness between the 3 but that is why the number is different. I use 2057NA in the front park turn lamp. and 2057 clear in the rear lamps.

cucvrus

Turned the M1008 over to 100K miles while on I 81 N in PA at 75 mph. All is well now at 00000.0 miles and counting. Have a nice day. I think I will get the truck serviced at the GM dealer as a gift for it's endurance.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read correctly, you drive 75 mph with an M1008? Respect! Is it all stock (ratio, tires ) ? Sometimes when i Drive 55mph, i think i could see a white flag in front of the hood. Lol

Last edited:

RobM36A2

When i first got my M1028 (all stock), I floored the pedal on the highway. Just to try it out, you know, top speed. :driver:
But when I reached 75 mph and it was still pulling, I released the accelerator.
I got kinda scared, both the noise and vibration became too much for comfort.

You'll never know if one or more of the 8 guys in the engine room would like to pop his head though the hood..
Just to see what that crazy guy behind the controls is running from... :whistle:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks