• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rsh4364

This am on the 86 1009 swapped in 60G glows and did compression check on all cylinders,425-435 per cylinder! Way happy, seems like a new motor and trans.Now I need to come up with $ for a 700R4 trans.to compensate for the 456 gears. No way Im gonna go back to 308s after driving it with these 456 gears! The motor even carries 25 psi oil press hot at idle with Rotella T-6 5w-40,its tight.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Made some last-minute checks for the trip to the UK.
Filled up oil MPM 15W40 for diesel, some extra coolant in the reservoir, checked ATF.
Checked tire pressure, did a 120 mile road trip, no strange noises or vibrations.
Seems the M1028 is ready for the trip.

Still pondering if I should go. Normally we drive with 2 vehicles, but now alone, no passenger for company.
Also heavy traffic near the harbor and a migrant problem.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I was behind a tractor-trailer once that blew out a tire at about that speed:

- I thought a bomb had gone off or something, I mean it "exploded"
Yep. I was maybe 30 feet back in the next lane over when a trailer tire went - the outer rear on my side. It was about like a grenade going off. Not a Hollywood grenade (you know, sometimes like a 500 pound bomb, sometimes like a cherry bomb), but like a real grenade.

It blew the mud flap clean off. Got my attention!

Another Ahab

Made some last-minute checks for the trip to the UK.
Filled up oil MPM 15W40 for diesel, some extra coolant in the reservoir, checked ATF.

Still pondering if I should go. Normally we drive with 2 vehicles, but now alone, no passenger for company.
Also heavy traffic near the harbor and a migrant problem.
There's plenty to be said about travel for its own sake, that is always true.

But, is there a particular reason for this trip?

CUCVLOVER

Today I changed the belts, which it definitely need as one was about to break and the others where getting old. Also I changed the rear diff oil. While I was under the truck changing the diff oil, I found out that the fill bolt is broken off and I couldn't get the oil to go in the vent tube. So I ended up tightening the bottom bolts and using a claw hammer to hold the cover open in the top and poured the oil in that way.
When ever I take the diff cover off again on that diff or the front one I'll be changing the covers with "Solid" brand covers from Hillbilly Wizard.

Anyone have any experience with the solid brand diff cover?
Thanks

cucvrus

Today I changed the belts, which it definitely need as one was about to break and the others where getting old. Also I changed the rear diff oil. While I was under the truck changing the diff oil, I found out that the fill bolt is broken off and I couldn't get the oil to go in the vent tube. So I ended up tightening the bottom bolts and using a claw hammer to hold the cover open in the top and poured the oil in that way.
When ever I take the diff cover off again on that diff or the front one I'll be changing the covers with "Solid" brand covers from Hillbilly Wizard.

Anyone have any experience with the solid brand diff cover?
Thanks
Where is the fill bolt on the 14 bolt? And could you weld a nut on it and get it out? Never heard of this. I had them rounded out and welded a bolt on them. I even broke a fill plug on my 65 Impala 4 speed trans once and welded a bolt on the plug. It was a steel plug in an aluminum housing. Good luck with that rear. What would be different about other covers?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many of the fabricated steel covers that offer a fill port. Nice option on a sturdy cover.

SgtHaas

Today I put new tires on, BF Goodwrench TKO, along with an alignment. Installed the front radio mount along with my radio (Yaesu FT-8800) , my rear license plate mount, Swapped the uploadfromtaptalk1437285187501.jpgrear bus bar from 24v to 12v, installed 12v LED dome lighting (White for normal use and Red for tactical use) and installed new rear E break cables. Long afternoon... but happy. uploadfromtaptalk1437285053403.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437285077001.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437285117358.jpg

C15TA

Rob, I can understand your hesitation about travelling alone but with all the vehicles going to War and Peace on the ferry could you not find someone to tag along with? The times I went to War and Peace from The Netherlands I couldn't believe all the migrants living in the bushes outside the ferry terminal in Calais. We are not used to that sort of thing in Canada. Have a good trip.
Met vriendelijke groeten.
Barry

CUCVLOVER

Cucvrus,
I might be able to weld a nut on it. The fill port on the corporate 14 bolt is right beside the vent hose. That's the spot where I found anything that looked like a broken plug. I might just put my own plug in the stock diff cover.

SgtHaas,
You will really like the tires. That's what my dad runs on his Chevy truck, I've seen those tires with nothing more that the side bite, and cover his truck in mud and make it out of some holes where the axles drug.

cucvrus

Yes I would weld a nut and heat the area a bit. That is a common pipe plug thread and you should be able to get that out without an issue. You have the room under there to work and with the flatbed you should have more room. I would put the plug with the square male drive on it when you replace it. I had a few that the female 3/8" drive were partially stripped and I was able to clean them real good and get them out. A few with an air chisel and some with the ratchet and some tin hammered in the hole. But I got them all out. Just a thought. Good Luck.

CUCVLOVER

Yes I would weld a nut and heat the area a bit. That is a common pipe plug thread and you should be able to get that out without an issue. You have the room under there to work and with the flatbed you should have more room. I would put the plug with the square male drive on it when you replace it. I had a few that the female 3/8" drive were partially stripped and I was able to clean them real good and get them out. A few with an air chisel and some with the ratchet and some tin hammered in the hole. But I got them all out. Just a thought. Good Luck.
You are right. I don't know why I didn't think about that. I've gotten several broke bolts out like that, and my dad has pulled out thousands like that. I guess that goes on the list.
Thanks

cpf240

Today I put new tires on, BF Goodwrench TKO, along with an alignment. Installed the front radio mount along with my radio (Yaesu FT-8800) , my rear license plate mount, Swapped the View attachment 570990rear bus bar from 24v to 12v, installed 12v LED dome lighting (White for normal use and Red for tactical use) and installed new rear E break cables. Long afternoon... but happy. View attachment 570987View attachment 570988View attachment 570989
Where did you mount the rest of the radio? What did you do for the antenna and antenna mount? I need to get my 8800 installed one of these days.. was thinking about using a short jumper cable in the feedline that would go through the hole in the top, so the top could be removed without messing with the feedline.

SgtHaas

Where did you mount the rest of the radio? What did you do for the antenna and antenna mount? I need to get my 8800 installed one of these days.. was thinking about using a short jumper cable in the feedline that would go through the hole in the top, so the top could be removed without messing with the feedline.
I just used the mobile mount with double sided tape until my radio rack comes in. I ran the extension cables in plastic hose and until my actual antenna mounts come in I am using a 1/4 wave mag mount antenna on the roof. Not a bad set up. uploadfromtaptalk1437340489572.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if we're going to talk radjo, here's my current set-up. The VHF control head is on top, then the remote for the spotlight, then the SmartSiren control head, and finally the UHF control head. The VHF body is under the driver's seat on shock-mounts, the SS body is inside the console, and the UHF radio body is mounted under the console. I have a Diamond dual-band antenna on the left antenna bracket, atop a riser to get it above the roofline, and the spotlight is on top of a riser on the right side antenna bracket.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks