• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

UNIMOG-GUY

What type of mount does it require ? And is it easy to install? And cheap? I need a plow this winter bad!
I don't know the name of the mount or model number however I am sure I could find out. It is Blizzard's specific mount for truck. It bolted right on everything lined up and it took about an hour to mount to the truck and hook up the wiring. The plow is a Blizzard 760LT. I've got $1500.00 in the plow I bought it off of a guy who purchased it new and used it one season on his drivaeway and then put it in his garage after he sold his truck. It is mounted on the M1028. The only time I had to put the truck in 4WD is when I was plowing going up a gradual slope on several of the driveways. With chains on the rear and the correct weight in the bed I don't think I would have had to put it in 4WD. It's a great plow and I've definately put it through it's paces. And I think the M1028 is a great affordable plow truck with all it's options.

Assel

Today I replaced my front calipers with some rebuild ones, also put on new rotors & wheel bearings, the rotors look rusty because someone had them in the basement for few years and never put them to use...

those studs were really nasty to get out, almost broke my tool before they moved... but a good Load of WD-40 loosens everything... DSC_0249.jpg

RobM36A2

Did some 4-wheeling and took my little sister with me.

We recently started playing Ingress, some fun app. It's about capturing portals.
We are the blue team and we captured some portals in the woods, where there is difficult acces for non-4x4 vehicles :driver:

It's fun playing on dirt roads at 10PM in the dark :mrgreen:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 has become my full-time daily driver. I think my Police Interceptor needs a new water pump. I haven't had time to confirm my suspicions. It's cheaper to drive my CUCV than my CVPI anyway. I get about 20 MPG city in the CUCV, and 14-17 MPG city in my Crown Vic.

cucvrus

That CVPI is a piece of cake to change the water pump. All you have to do is have a fan wrench and the pump is held in with 4 bolts. Make sure it is not the intake plenum on that car. They are known to go out crack and warp also. Ford had a huge recall on them. I changed a few of them. Not a real big deal to change the intake plenum. Basic tools needed. Most will have aluminum where the OEM had plastic. Planned obsolescence on Fords part.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, sir. I have to find out why the coolant reservoir was nearly empty and I had to add 1/2 gal of coolant to the radiator, and why I smelled hot coolant the last time I drove it. I replaced the radiator a couple of years ago so I don't think that's the reason for my problem. I might call you when I'm under the hood.

Gunzy

I had to pull my #1 alternator to have it rebuilt, no output and GEN1 light on. Replaced a 30amp fuse. When I get the alternator back in I need to come up with 2 goo tires and a rim for a spare. Oh, the truck is an M1031 Contact truck with 12KW pto driven Generator. I will fix the few items in need then offer it for sale.

cucvrus

View attachment 572426View attachment 572427View attachment 572428View attachment 572429View attachment 572430I had one of my M1009's give me some trouble this weekend. It was wet in the garage about the size of a quarter with Diesel fuel at the fuel pump. No problem. I went and bought a new fuel pump for $0.01 after my rebate points at Autozone and went about changing it. I can usually wiz thru this job in about 45 minutes - 1 hour. Well I had a time and when I was all completed I could not put the rubber supply hose on the pump. The barbed connection was in direct alignment with the cross member. After further looking I saw the motor mounts were bad. I have had an epidemic of this motor mount issue this year and I know I changed them on this unit about 5 years ago. I looked back and sure enough I did. 5 years and 72K miles ago. Same as the fuel pump. So it turned into a 3 hour job getting the mounts out was a real treat. They were wedged in and twisted. I thought I seen bad mounts before. These were the worse. I recommend anyone with a CUCV that has not looked at the motor mounts check them out. New ones are less then $25. for the pair. They are easy to change and make a world of difference. I do not know how I missed the boat on this one but I did. All the other service and inspection was up to date and it ran fine. Have a nice day. And keep on wrenching.
Update I had a real time with this job. I put on 4 fuel pumps and could not get them to pump fuel. I went to different parts stores and got the same fuel pump with the same results. I did some research and measurements and found out that the pumps are now made in Korea and that they changed the lever on the pump. The new pumps had a spring under the arm of the lever. The 6.2 has about 5/8" - 3/4" of push on the rod to activate the fuel pump and do the pumping. The new pumps had that amount of slop and free play on them. I went thru 3 pumps and ordered another one. By then I had figured out the issue. I went to the GM dealer and bought an AC Delco OEM pump for $35..001.jpg002.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpgWhat I really thought about was. What about the guy that had an actual fuel pump failure and his truck left him sit. He goes to several auto parts store and gets a fuel pump and has no idea what is wrong with the truck. He then employs a mechanic to look at the truck. And it is not starting. The mechanic spends the time and says the fuel pump is not working he gets another one and replaces it it still don't work. I was at NAPA, Autozone, Advance and a home town shop. All listed the same wrong pump. This was not the case several years ago when I was buying pumps at several of the same people that had the wrong one this time. They are now made in Korea and that may not be the issue but they are none the less not correct. It took my persistence to keep on it to get the right pump. The dealer did not have it in stock but did order it and had it the next day. I am just thinking about the guy that is not as persistent and changing this pump now only takes me 15 minutes. Advise. When you pull your bad pump take it along with you and compare the lever. If it does not match exactly and has a spring with free play in the lever. Don't buy it.

CUCVLOVER

Cucvrus,

I recently changed my lift pump on my truck, and I'm glad I didn't get a Korean one. I got my pump at Napa, and it was almost identical to the stock pump.

How are you changing your pump so fast?
I fought with mine for 6 hrs, in the 95*+ and ended up needing reenforcements.

Also why do you have a green sway bar?
Thanks.

Another Ahab

What I really thought about was. What about the guy that had an actual fuel pump failure and his truck left him sit. He goes to several auto parts store and gets a fuel pump and has no idea what is wrong with the truck. He then employs a mechanic to look at the truck. And it is not starting. The mechanic spends the time and says the fuel pump is not working he gets another one and replaces it it still don't work. I was at NAPA, Autozone, Advance and a home town shop. All listed the same wrong pump. This was not the case several years ago when I was buying pumps at several of the same people that had the wrong one this time. They are now made in Korea and that may not be the issue but they are none the less not correct. It took my persistence to keep on it to get the right pump. The dealer did not have it in stock but did order it and had it the next day. I am just thinking about the guy that is not as persistent and changing this pump now only takes me 15 minutes. Advise. When you pull your bad pump take it along with you and compare the lever. If it does not match exactly and has a spring with free play in the lever. Don't buy it.
Now that kind of advice is priceless, and you usually don't find it in ANY kind of manual.

You're a good man, cucvrus.

CUCVLOVER

Green swaybars are much faster.
Just like stickers?

My truck has a bunch of stickers on it and I haven't felt the speed increase.

Also cucvrus,
What is the big jug of blue stuff for?

Thanks.

Before I sway to far from topic (am I)
I added a little color to the green machine, 2 American flags on the brush guard and 2 flags that represent the South's great history.

Last edited:

SgtHaas

Well today I had to buy a new rear battery. Had to replace the old military one. Advance auto tested it... Had 7 cranking amps. Now I am getting a Gen 2 light. The truck was converted to 12v by the previous owner. Only using the driver side alternater.

cucvrus

Also why do you have a green sway bar?
I bought that sway bar at Carlisle. It is supposed to be an upgraded add on that gives better stability to the front end. That and the quad shock did make a difference. The combination of the 2 is noticable in the amount of bounce I no longer have up front off road.

Also cucvrus,
What is the big jug of blue stuff for?
I added the over size windshield washer reservoir when my son was using the truck to travel from home to Ft Drum New York every other weekend. It never needed filled between trips. And I had the local GM dealer do the service on it every 2nd trip and they filled the washer bottle for free with the service. It holds 2.5 gallons and I cut down a front CUCV battery holder and fabricated some 3/16" aluminum brackets to hold it in place. I made the brackets adjustable in case I need to tighten them up or loosen them. That is an empty DEF fluid tank from the new diesel truck. DEF=diesel exhaust fluid used in the regeneration and particulate system on the new diesel trucks as part of the emissions system. Thank you for looking.

Drunkle Scuzzy

Took my CUCV M1010 to a local shop to replace the shocks, flush coolant system, service the transmission, repair the linkage on t-case (turns out I was right and its not broken, just needs linkage work) repair brakes, replace wheel bearing seals and repack, add coolant temp\oil pressure\voltage gauges, and some other stuff should be ready for camping this weekend. Just waiting on the new gauge cluster to be put in where the stereo would have gone.

I also ordered a Pulse Tech SP-2 12volt 2watt SolarPulse\SolarCharger Battery Maintainer. My truck was previously converted to a 12volt system with 240amp alternator and dual batteries. I called Pulse Tech and they said it would reverse sulfation like the units I heard about on here, and also trickle charge (2watts) the batteries when not in use. The rep said that it wouldn't charge them from dead, but would be enough to keep them topped off. Some of the other units they sell have much higher wattage if you want more charge.

I found it for $60 on eBay new in box with free shipping. Link below. Originally sells for $89.95. This is the lowest wattage, least expensive of the line. They have others for 24volt systems as well. Thanks to those of you who turned me on to this. I drive my truck infrequently, and often short trips around the city. The last time I fired it up to take it to the mechanic after sitting for a spell it turned over quite sluggishly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PULSETECH-S...385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54212ef129

http://www.pulsetech.net/SP2-SolarPulse-12V-Solar-Charger-Maintainer-2Watt-7297.aspx

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Installed all new exhaust system from exhaust manifold back. Only broke one bolt on drivers side manifold. Fire wrench helped remove remaining stud. Welded a grade 8 bolt onto stud and marched on. Now the loudest part of the M1009 is the clack of the diesel and the hum from the tires runnin down the road. All parts from Rock Auto for less than 300. (Vehicle hoist would come in handy! lol)

Any chance you could post the part numbers? I ordered the same from them last year and got the wrong stuff. Mismatched from each other and the truck. I think about half of the pieces might have been right. They were nasty about the return, too, as if it were my fault, so I won't be buying from them again, but the part numbers should allow anybody who wants to to find them online. I'm sure plenty of people would be glad to have those numbers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks