• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rsh4364

Today on the 86 1009 I added 140 amp circuit breaker for 12volt.1/0 gauge to breaker 1/0 from breaker to a 1/0ga.to 8ga. junction box,then 1 oversize 8ga.to 12v.and 1 8ga.to glowplug solenoid.The 85 1009 patiently waits for me to get 86 squared away.

86k5

I attempted to change air filter. CAN NOT find one that fits. Ive tried every part number found on the forum with no luck. Everything is too tall. The current filter has been squished in there and is bent down to fit. Previous owner must have done this. But id like to replace it with one that actually fits like its supposed to. To my knowledge the air filter housing is all original. Maybe ill look into custom ordering a 3 and 1/2 inch tall one.

M1008BOV

Shouldn't be hard to find. I highly recommend the HD wix filter with the poly wrap. Rock Auto has them for less than $20. I do NOT recommend the Delco filter. I bought it and it's junk. The poly wrap was not nearly as quality as the one on the wix I took off and the other day it fell apart when I took it out to blow it out. Media material not as good either (and made in Mexico).

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=360341&cc=1053021&jnid=488&jpid=8

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I finally got off my butt this weekend and started whipping the 1008 back into service.

1. New battery (Charging the other)
2. New headlights
3. New wipers
4. Starter bracket (yeah been meaning to do that for years)

I still need to do the starter relay conversion. It needs cab corners and paint. I have a rear bumper to swap on it. And a 700R4 to go in it eventually. Once all that's done it's getting a new dash pad and seat. Then a radio. Maybe AC eventually.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But then you get up before it's light out right? Some on-road shots from the cab?
Well, it was ~mostly~ dark at 0530 when I left for work. Camera was sitting on the driver's side mirror. It's difficult to tell from the photos maybe, but the lightbar illuminates the entire area around the truck, from 9-o-clock to3-o-clock, to daylight. The landing lights have a lot more distance (at 450 watts each) Picture 1 is just the headlights- Sylvania supersomethings. Picture 2 is just two of the HIDs (switch position one) Picture 3 is all six of the forward firing HIDs (switch position two) Picture 4 is all the forward HIDs and the angled HIDs and the alley lights. (switch position three) Not much difference when you're looking forward as these light up the sides. Picture 5 is all the lightbar and the landing lights on the grille.

Attachments

Last edited:

staplesSalvage

started my weirdo project.....
I know the details are everything and this is a spooky year for these so this is the sticker above the visor on the drivers side;
US Property
Nomenclature Light trucks, 4x4 utility
Make, model 1988 Chevrolet CV 10516
Manufacturers serial no. 1GNEVBCJF169227
Registration no. 94-3905
FSN Number NSN 2320-01-123-2665
Vehicle curb wt. 4818
Payload max 1432
Gross vehicle wt. 6250
Date of Delivery May 1988Warrenty 12 mo. 12,000miles
Contract no. GS OOF 00061
I bought this From Ft. Lewis it came from Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.
It had a 12v civi 6.2l diesel/700r4/np208 in it, engine shot, w/ dual exhaust. I know the difference between 12/24v engines/sensors etc.
What I have is a 77 350 4 bolt main, carborated/HEI distibutor engine or a 1990 TBI 5.7 with a wiring harness that will plug directly to the fuse block.
I want to do a body off restoration with 1 of the gassers simply because A. they run. B. I'm poor.
would like any info from others who have A. Removed the body from the frame. B. done the same type engine swap.
Thank you for your time and research on previous posts for the info. I will take pic's and post any issues such as wiring, exhaust, fitment issues I incurr for future info questor's.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
staplesSalvage: It sounds to me like you'd be better off starting a new thread in the CUCV Hot Rodding and Modification section. That will help you keep all the information about your build in one place.

cucvrus

Changed the hydro brake booster.002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgRe-manufactured $170. exchange with the core. With out the core add $68. for a core charge. About 1 hour and no cursing. Thanks for looking. It is the OEM one so after 30 years and 102K miles it was time to go bye bye.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks