• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sgt. Haas: When my daughter was 2 1/2, she started hugging and kissing my M1009. She said "I love you, Vinnie!!" I melted. It was the one vehicle that she ALWAYS fell asleep in. The sound of that 6.2L knocked her out every trip. She loved riding in and climbing around Vinnie. I told her that it was her truck. Years later, she still loves her truck. She really wants to drive it, but she has a few more years before I will allow her to get behind the wheel. It's amazing what little girls and military vehicles do to you.....

Gunzy

In the last week I have gotten all the tires and wheels dealt with. When I picked it up the right front tire was shreaded, the left rear was dry rotted very bad and it had no spare. Now it has had the 2 bad tires replaced, a spare is in the rack now and I had to replace the right rear wheel as it was bent quite bad. I also had the #1 generator rebuilt as that warning light was on. Next is to replace a couple of lights that are out, service the truck and clean it. I am still waiting for the SF97 from GP, it has been almost 6 weeks and when I called they said it could be a couple more. So the rig I want to sell will have to sit waiting for paperwork.

M1008BOV

My 2 year old loves riding in the truck. I can't get her out of it.
Great pics Sgt! My daughter is the same age (this pic is a bit old) and she loves the m1008. She calls it bah-boom.

IMG_20140503_140732_zpsd2947732.jpg

hey can you post some info about the gunrack? How it's mounted etc?
Is it the slide in type that push in between the glass and seals?

Sgt. Haas: When my daughter was 2 1/2, she started hugging and kissing my M1009. She said "I love you, Vinnie!!" I melted. It was the one vehicle that she ALWAYS fell asleep in. The sound of that 6.2L knocked her out every trip. She loved riding in and climbing around Vinnie. I told her that it was her truck. Years later, she still loves her truck. She really wants to drive it, but she has a few more years before I will allow her to get behind the wheel. It's amazing what little girls and military vehicles do to you.....
:goodjob: My son is 13 and loves the truck, he seems to be under the impression he'll be driving it to school, but my daughter really loves it. Between the 6.2 and also the big block in the chevelle those two vehicles put her to sleep the quickest and she gets upset if I leave in them and she doesn't get to go.

Back on topic.....I took the grill off last night and was looking at the horn (it's a sad horn they put on these) and was going to try to hook up two I had off a late 70's truck, but neither was working when I plugged them in. I'm going to do some searching, but has anyone tried a cheaper air horn kit like they sell at Harbour Freight? I can't justify spending $300 on the train horn I'd like to put on it, but definitely want an attention getter when I need it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-super-loud-air-horn-40134.html

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cadillac horns are attention getters. They are not overly loud but have an obnoxious narcissistic tone.

M1008BOV

A direct replacement is less then $20. at a parts store. Dual set up direct replacement is about twice that with the high and low note. Easy peasy.
That's what I was trying to do with the two horns someone else gave me. I had the A & F toned horns from a 78 chevy, but they were in rough shape.

M1008BOV: I installed Wolo 120 Dual Stainless Steel Trumpet Horns. They are marine grade 116 Db, and do not require an air tank. They work great where I have them mounted. My post #1394 in this thread shows you what they look like mounted on the driver side fender well. http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-120-Persuader-Stainless-Trumpet/dp/B0012ILZAI
This is really interesting and sounds good. Did you set them up so they work off your horn button, or a separate button?

Do you have a video of them on your truck to listen too? (to compare to their clip)

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Wolo's work off of the horn button. I inserted a blade terminal connector into the connector that attaches to the horn. I ran a short section of wire to the Wolo's and butt-connected the wires from the Wolo's and the wire extention together. I can easily hook up the factory horn if I ever need to by unplugging the blade connector and plugging the plastic connector to the horn. (I hope all of that makes sense.) I had a few problems with my horn. I documented the repairs on this thread.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?133952-Thanks-to-Rayzer-and-Warthog&highlight=
I don't have audio or video of the horns. The audio clip is very accurate. It's a lower pitch due to the length of the trumpets. They are not as loud because they are mounted under the hood behind the radiator and headlight, but they still get people's attention!! :) Occasionally I take my truck off-road, and I didn't want them in a place where water could get up inside of them. The horns are 15" and 18"; hard to find a spot under the hood of my CUCV due to the factory A/C system consuming some space.

rsh4364

Last night pulled fact.aircleaner studs from intake and added some 8" studs, as I wanted to try a larger aircleaner.I used factory base and fact.top and added a 14x7 k&n filter.Drove 12 miles this morning and noticed major oil leak at right rear of motor,checked new CDR valve and new oil fill cap,both appear ok.I thought maybe that big aircleaner might be effecting the cdr valve.Drove back home parked and watched more oil hit the ground,pulled long studs from intake put old ones back and re-installed the orig.14x6 k&n,oil leak gone.Did I lose all manifold vac.when I installed big open aircleaner?Causing crankcase to be pressurized,it leaked more when turned off than when running.And you deff. don't want to run a large open element aircleaner on these,the engine drone is bad.I still plan on using a 14x6 k&n but it will be an enclosed system with a 3" cold air intake.On the plus side I did get a new used civy grill installed,even has the nice chevy emblem.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks