• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

latvius

LOL, I really like that stereo, it has memory tilt so when powered it tilts up toward the driver making it easier to see. It'll make backing up a whole lot easier once I hook up the camera.

Ok.
I don't really need another truck right now.
The Shelby's are sweet.

Latvius:
Think you could find a bigger stereo? Haha just kidding.
Sweet install.

NovacaineFix

I came back to the shop today and I purchased a winning combination of belts that I have been running on the M1009 , M1028 and M1008 vehicles The 3 belts I have been buying now are Gates.
Gates XL 7450 13/32" X 45 5/8" OC (10mm X 1158mm OC)This the first belt on the rear PS pulley,water pump rear pulley, bottom rear pulley.
Gates XL 9580 1/2" X 58 3/8" (12.5mm X 1485mm) This the second belt on the center of the water pump and bottom pulley and the front big power steering pulley.
Gates XL 7475 13/32" X 48 1/8" OC (10mm X 1221mm OC)This is the one for the passengers side alternator, water pump front pulley, bottom front pulley

These belts work super good and I have them on 4 of our CUCV vehicles right now. I just put them on my Red M1008 pick up my daily runner and they have tons of adjustment and no squeal on start up and when using the truck to jump start equipment and other trucks. I call it my winning combination because they work and do the job. They are a bit tight to get on but once on the seem to hold up well for me. I run several of these vehicles hard day in and day out. OFF road on 2 of them on stone, mud, and dirt.. Thank you for looking have a nice day.

I have been having so much trouble with my PS belt, could never get it tight enough without thinking I'm going to burn out the pump. Thanks to your listing of the Gates belt #'s, I now know why.
The belt in question I have is a 7455 and it's at the end of it's adjustment and still squeals from time to time, especially while under heavy steering load.
I suspected that the middle belt was not correct but had nothing to go by and now I do. Thanks man, that 9850 is the one I need to occupy that vacant pulley slot on 2 of the pulleys. Looks like someone before me took the short-cut with the belts and I just followed along.

CUCVLOVER

I changed the fuel filter again.
I figured since that there was trash inside my filter sock in the tank, it was in the filter on the firewall.

I was surprised that Napa had the filter.
Also priming the fuel System is a breeze now. Since I have a fuel bulb in the line where it comes out of the tank.
It seems to run better now, so maybe it will be ready for the truck pull at the end of the week.

Attachments

cucvrus

Good to see the old Stanadyne fuel filter still in use. They are always available. Most times less then $20. Not sure about the bulb in the fuel line. Just looks like another place for a leak. But if it works for you go for it. Did you replace the fuel sock in the tank? Also I wanted to let you know that the new straps for the tank brackets are less then $25. The original ones always seem to be rusty and brittle when I work with them. I have been replacing the straps only. I used to just make them but it cost me more time and energy then $25. to do that so I just replace them now with store bought. The heavy saddle part of the tank bracket I have been able to needle scale and get powder coated with good results. When I take something apart I restore it and recoat it as if I want it to remain in place another 30 years. Do the job once do the best job you can and move on. Thanks for sharing your good results. I think the fuel sock is the root of a lot of the evil power loss. It is 30 + years and a lot of questionable fluids have been sucked thru that small filter sock.

SgtHaas

Not sure if the right spot to ask, but what military trailers where designed for the M1009 ? Or what military trailers will work with it ? Using the pinal mount. Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM says it's limited to the M416. With that said, I can think of dozens of M1009 owners toting M101 and M116 trailers. There will be a few folks along shortly that will tell you that if you tow an M101 with your M1009 that it will flip over, the tires will burst into flames and that the shocks will explode emitting a shower or radiation that will make Chernobyl look like a match stick lighting.

cucvrus

I remember seeing a bulletin that was sent out that no trailers should be towed behind an M1009. The hitch was not secure enough. Due to corrosion and deterioration of the draw bar and rear mounting point. I have had mine torn completely off of My M1009 because of rust on the draw bar, over loading the trailer off road and using the pintle as a anchor point for the Bubba strap when I was pulling Fords and Dodges out of the mud holes.:) But I have seen the NO TRAILERS stenciled on the dash and on the rear gate of several M1009's at ITG. I should have pictures but don't. I am sure you find that amazing. I only honed my picture taking skills in the past year. I would check all the fastening points on the rear of your M1009 before you tow anything. There are many of these CUCV vehicles that are very rusty back there at this point in time. I do have pictures of my torn off hitch if you want to see them. Good Luck.

86m1028

I pull my fully loaded m989a1 trailer around with an m1009 all the time, all over the country without any problems.
It does great on the highway @ 80mph & get 24 mpg.

Your results may vary.

Gunzy

Not sure if the right spot to ask, but what military trailers where designed for the M1009 ? Or what military trailers will work with it ? Using the pinal mount. Thanks.
I would think it would pull M1101/1102s OK as they are aluminum and fairly light. But what do I know, I pull everything with my M923.

CUCVLOVER

Good to see the old Stanadyne fuel filter still in use. They are always available. Most times less then $20. Not sure about the bulb in the fuel line. Just looks like another place for a leak. But if it works for you go for it. Did you replace the fuel sock in the tank? Also I wanted to let you know that the new straps for the tank brackets are less then $25. The original ones always seem to be rusty and brittle when I work with them. I have been replacing the straps only. I used to just make them but it cost me more time and energy then $25. to do that so I just replace them now with store bought. The heavy saddle part of the tank bracket I have been able to needle scale and get powder coated with good results. When I take something apart I restore it and recoat it as if I want it to remain in place another 30 years. Do the job once do the best job you can and move on. Thanks for sharing your good results. I think the fuel sock is the root of a lot of the evil power loss. It is 30 + years and a lot of questionable fluids have been sucked thru that small filter sock.
Thanks for the info on the straps, when I replaced my fuel tank the other day, I cleaned everything with a wire wheel and sand paper, then used under coating on everything. I haven't ordered the correct sock yet, I had to modify one for a gasser, it had the same kind of filter with just some fluffy stuff inside, so I just removed fluff, and went on.
I hear a lot of bad about the box filters, but I like it. Since mine is still working why change it.

cucvrus

I pull my fully loaded m989a1 trailer around with an m1009 all the time, all over the country without any problems.

Your results may vary.
Do what you want. I am not trying to make a point about what you can or cannot pull. I am making the point to check the condition of the attaching points of the stock pintle hook. The draw bar is a haven for rust. Better to be safe then sorry. My trailer was still attached to the pintle in the median of I 81 and it was a PIA to let it there and go back and get it. Just for safety's sake check yours out sooner then do damage to yourself or property. And worst yet hurt or kill someone else. If you look and follow the military weight rating of the M416 it is hard to justify towing it. You could fold the seat down and carry more then that rating in the back of the M1009. I would rather be safe then sorry. I now use a Reese class 3 receiver on my M1009 and just have the stock pintle for ornamental purposes. When the original one broke loose it tore and bent the rear crossmember on the M1009. Did I use this M1009 hard? You bet I did. But the weak link was the rusty draw bar. I still have the draw bar with center hitch section on the wall of shame at my barn. That is were I put anything that family members use and abuse and break. I have lots of broken parts. We look and laugh at them but am glad we do not have to look and regret any of them. I will post a picture or a few later of the SNAFU. Thanks for looking. And 86m1028 you rock on. You must be aware of the condition of your truck. This person or person may have no idea and I give voice in a word of caution.

86m1028

That post is called sarcasm !!!
It wasn't directed at you personally.
I get tired of hearing how these trucks including the m1008, m1028,m1031's can't pull anything or do anything.
These same people put 700r4's in them & whine when they burn up the 1/4 to 1/2 ton trans they put in them.

Best mod ever to make these better at doing anything is dump that 6.2 for anything else.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Your results may vary.
Dude, that's crazy! I don't believe those tires are rated for that speed.

tim292stro

Can I pull an M1000 with a M1009 and a M197A1 trailer dolly? I don't have on-board air, and I only have 550 paracord since my safety chains are rusted - I just need to move it a few thousand miles... and I have a manufactured house on the trailer, will the extra wind resistance affect my hill climbing off road? :whistle:

My trailer came with the "special ordered" high speed tires
Solidarity brother, my dry-wit finder is working perfectly. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Can I pull an M1000 with a M1009 and a M197A1 trailer dolly? I don't have on-board air, and I only have 550 paracord since my safety chains are rusted - I just need to move it a few thousand miles... and I have a manufactured house on the trailer, will the extra wind resistance affect my hill climbing off road? :whistle:

Solidarity brother, my dry-wit finder is working perfectly. [thumbzup]

hyena.jpg

cucvrus

I came back to the shop today and I purchased a winning combination of belts that I have been running on the M1009 , M1028 and M1008 vehicles The 3 belts I have been buying now are Gates.
Gates XL 7450 13/32" X 45 5/8" OC (10mm X 1158mm OC)This the first belt on the rear PS pulley,water pump rear pulley, bottom rear pulley.
Gates XL 9580 1/2" X 58 3/8" (12.5mm X 1485mm) This the second belt on the center of the water pump and bottom pulley and the front big power steering pulley.
Gates XL 7475 13/32" X 48 1/8" OC (10mm X 1221mm OC)This is the one for the passengers side alternator, water pump front pulley, bottom front pulley

These belts work super good and I have them on 4 of our CUCV vehicles right now. I just put them on my Red M1008 pick up my daily runner and they have tons of adjustment and no squeal on start up and when using the truck to jump start equipment and other trucks. I call it my winning combination because they work and do the job. They are a bit tight to get on but once on the seem to hold up well for me. I run several of these vehicles hard day in and day out. OFF road on 2 of them on stone, mud, and dirt.. Thank you for looking have a nice day.
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpgThis is the pictures of the red M1008 engine and under the hood after the new winning combination of belts were installed. Also the hydro-boost and master cylinder were replaced and the engine has been washed down with fluid for several months. It is only now starting to dry out and look normal again. I hope you can see the amount of adjustment that I still have on both of the alternators. I hope to help some of you out with the squealing belts and the lack of adjustment to the belts.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks