• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Assel

Sun and nothing else to do today, so I decided to do the engine oil & filter change, since the oilpan had some little rust I decided to sand it & spray some new paint over it, no heavy rust but it did just not look nice.

DSC_0088.jpg

tim292stro

There is a saying: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..." Better to keep it sealed from water and salt to keep the corrosion fro starting, than to deal with de-rusting or replacing the pan later.

Awesome job [thumbzup]

Assel

I keep it clean, but its not a pavement queen :p just fixing things here & there, not aiming for a full restoration yet, as long as its still driveable and passes inspections... Its not my daylie but I want my truck to be rdy anytime

here is a "offroad" shot, I didnt have to take it down that "road" but I wanted :D IMG_0923.jpg

cucvrus

006.jpgI removed the front drive shaft from my Crown of Thorns M1009 and cleaned and lubricated the CV joint in the rear of the front drive shaft. If you have not done this I recommend that you do it once a year. 007.jpgIf you look in the first picture you can see the small round grease port. I sprayed mine with PB Blast and used an old tooth brush to clean the area. 008.jpgNow the port is clean and ready for grease. 010.jpgThis is a special tapered needle grease tip to lubricate the CV joint. 011.jpgThis adapter will snap right on any standard grease gun and enable you to grease the CV joint and prevent it from locking up and possibly causing lose of drive-shaft and breakage of the transfer case and or transmission. It can get that ugly when that joint locks up. I have seen it several times in the past. I wanted to show you how easy it is to maintain the front drive shaft. And if you never did it I would recommend doing it soon. I hope that helps just 1 person save the expense of failure. Thank you for looking. I was doing a right rear axle change on my M1009 today and went over and cleaned and greased everything drive line and steering related. I worked it hard and I always maintain it harder.

reaper556

View attachment 579784I removed the front drive shaft from my Crown of Thorns M1009 and cleaned and lubricated the CV joint in the rear of the front drive shaft. If you have not done this I recommend that you do it once a year. View attachment 579785If you look in the first picture you can see the small round grease port. I sprayed mine with PB Blast and used an old tooth brush to clean the area. View attachment 579786Now the port is clean and ready for grease. View attachment 579787This is a special tapered needle grease tip to lubricate the CV joint. View attachment 579788This adapter will snap right on any standard grease gun and enable you to grease the CV joint and prevent it from locking up and possibly causing lose of drive-shaft and breakage of the transfer case and or transmission. It can get that ugly when that joint locks up. I have seen it several times in the past. I wanted to show you how easy it is to maintain the front drive shaft. And if you never did it I would recommend doing it soon. I hope that helps just 1 person save the expense of failure. Thank you for looking. I was doing a right rear axle change on my M1009 today and went over and cleaned and greased everything drive line and steering related. I worked it hard and I always maintain it harder.
I assume this would apply to all cucv's 1008,1028 also? Great tip and thanks

Last edited:

Another Ahab

View attachment 579784I removed the front drive shaft from my Crown of Thorns M1009 and cleaned and lubricated the CV joint in the rear of the front drive shaft. If you have not done this I recommend that you do it once a year. If you look in the first picture you can see the small round grease port. I sprayed mine with PB Blast and used an old tooth brush to clean the area. View attachment 579786Now the port is clean and ready for grease. This is a special tapered needle grease tip to lubricate the CV joint. This adapter will snap right on any standard grease gun and enable you to grease the CV joint and prevent it from locking up and possibly causing lose of drive-shaft and breakage of the transfer case and or transmission. It can get that ugly when that joint locks up.
There's a world of difference in the clean-up job you did on the grease port. That's good work there.

NovacaineFix

View attachment 579784I removed the front drive shaft from my Crown of Thorns M1009 and cleaned and lubricated the CV joint in the rear of the front drive shaft. If you have not done this I recommend that you do it once a year. View attachment 579785If you look in the first picture you can see the small round grease port. I sprayed mine with PB Blast and used an old tooth brush to clean the area. View attachment 579786Now the port is clean and ready for grease. View attachment 579787This is a special tapered needle grease tip to lubricate the CV joint. View attachment 579788This adapter will snap right on any standard grease gun and enable you to grease the CV joint and prevent it from locking up and possibly causing lose of drive-shaft and breakage of the transfer case and or transmission. It can get that ugly when that joint locks up. I have seen it several times in the past. I wanted to show you how easy it is to maintain the front drive shaft. And if you never did it I would recommend doing it soon. I hope that helps just 1 person save the expense of failure. Thank you for looking. I was doing a right rear axle change on my M1009 today and went over and cleaned and greased everything drive line and steering related. I worked it hard and I always maintain it harder.
Good to know, good to know.

I recently did my U-joints on the rear driveshaft, those are always fun to do {SARCASM}. Having to burn out the nylon material with a torch, melting plastic everywhere, burning hot driveshaft tube, then you get the fun part of putting the new joints in, yeah!
All this to chase down a strange scraping noise which I 1st thought was coming from the rear brakes.

CUCVRUS, I will be on the lookout for one of those needle adapters, I have some close quarters adapters, but the one you show look like it does the trick just fine.

cucvrus

do you have a part number or internet link to this special grease gun adapter? never seen one ...
[h=1]Needle Nozzle LINCOLN 5806

Model LINCOLN 5806[/h]
Allows operator to contact flush type or hard to reach hydraulic type fittings. -Same as 5803 except with extension and locking sleeve. -Use to lubricate U-joints and spindles. -Attaches to hydraulic coupler of control valve or grease gun. -Type: Needle Adaptor.

Sir I hope this helps you and many others avoid the failure of lubricating that important joint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks