• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

007.jpg006.jpgDid any of you ever have this much fun with a grinder? I used my grinder to get the inner fender reinforcements out of the right inner fender. This works the best and you do not need to drill the spot welds or torch out the brackets. They need cleaned up any way so this takes care of 2 things at once. I hope I gave you a good tip on how to get these out of the inner fender. I used an 8 inch electric grinder with 36 grinding disc and it took me about 1/2 an hour.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after spending all day Saturday on a two hour project to get my Jeep WK back up, and having gotten bruised badly beating out both front hubs (but it's all got anti-seize compound on it now!) and having had my *** handed to my by it, I decided to do some light work on the M1009 today. Kind of hard to see in the pic, but I got the other two radio mics mounted on the left side of the console, so they're not kicking around. I also mounted my flashlight/billy club on the forward left side. I moved the ram-mount clipboard from the top of the console to the bracket on the dash. That should free up the top of the console for a 10/11 meter radio should I decide to go that route, or possibly some gauges.

Attachments

NovacaineFix

View attachment 580013View attachment 580012Did any of you ever have this much fun with a grinder? I used my grinder to get the inner fender reinforcements out of the right inner fender. This works the best and you do not need to drill the spot welds or torch out the brackets. They need cleaned up any way so this takes care of 2 things at once. I hope I gave you a good tip on how to get these out of the inner fender. I used an 8 inch electric grinder with 36 grinding disc and it took me about 1/2 an hour.
That looks like a lot of work

kkcshipp

CUCVRUS reading this blog I quickly ascertain you are an expert here. I hope to start my build soon; Friday I bought a 1986 1009 - going to be my Son and I project and we are green at this. Question is, both my front inner fenders are rusted with holes. Can I purchase new from LMC and bolt back in? I have no welding skills.

Another Ahab

CUCVRUS reading this blog I quickly ascertain you are an expert here. I hope to start my build soon; Friday I bought a 1986 1009 - going to be my Son and I project and we are green at this. Question is, both my front inner fenders are rusted with holes. Can I purchase new from LMC and bolt back in? I have no welding skills.
There's always the option to hire out something like that (but then of course you're out of pocket for cash).

Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe somebody else here will be.

And noticing that this is your first post, kkcshipp; so welcome from over here in Virginia.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Sir. You may want to reach out to Gimpyrobb in OH about inner fenders. He had a good stack of right sides, may still have one left.

cucvrus

I had a good deal of GM inner fenders.I have been using them up for myself. I have used many of the imports and have had no issues with them. They are about as god as the late GM ones that I purchased. If you do change the right inner fender you will want to grind out the reinforcements. they do help in the long run. I have seen many without then installed and have seen no ill side effects. Just use all the upper tie downs and make sure everything is adjusted and tightened properly and you will have no issues. I have had a rusty right inner fender fall out of a truck already and the batteries get dragged on the ground. That was interesting. Still made it home in one piece. But yes you can replace it it is a very simple task. You do not need to remove the fender. Just the wheel an tire on the side of the inner fender you are changing. If you can support the frame so the axle can hang a bit. PM me if you need anymore tips. Thank you for the compliment. I am an amateur at CUCV's I never did a dog head conversion or a 12 volt bypass relay and all that jazz. Just a sand and paint and complete overhaul x 100 +.

Another Ahab

Let me know how that works out for you, I tried dealing with this guy, worst on-line experience ever!
That is a harsh statement to make publicly.

You are forcing the man to counter the post to meet your accusation.

What is driving you to throw down a gauntlet this way?

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

That is a harsh statement to make publicly.

You are forcing the man to counter the accusation to meet your accusation.

What is driving you to throw down a gauntlet this way?
Well said brother.
I thought the gimpster was cool guy. I've never had a problem from him.

I moved the green machine out of the drive way, it moved less than its own length before it quite, a quick pump of the fuel primer and back in action.

cucvrus

He had a good stack of right sides, may still have one left. Does that mean he still has many right sides and only 1 left side. Or he had many right sides and may still have 1 remaining? :)

cucvrus

That looks like a lot of work
It was a piece of cake 1 36 grit disc some ear plugs and a half hour work. Good as new and ready to be coated and re-installed. It doesn't get any easier then that. The last set of 3 I bought new cost me $95. and they were at a local dealer. I do recommend putting a small stitch weld on each side of them. I am not sure that they give the same support when they are just bolted fast to the mounting bolts. Anyone else answer that?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a good deal of GM inner fenders.I have been using them up for myself. I have used many of the imports and have had no issues with them. They are about as god as the late GM ones that I purchased. If you do change the right inner fender you will want to grind out the reinforcements. they do help in the long run. I have seen many without then installed and have seen no ill side effects. Just use all the upper tie downs and make sure everything is adjusted and tightened properly and you will have no issues. I have had a rusty right inner fender fall out of a truck already and the batteries get dragged on the ground. That was interesting. Still made it home in one piece. But yes you can replace it it is a very simple task. You do not need to remove the fender. Just the wheel an tire on the side of the inner fender you are changing. If you can support the frame so the axle can hang a bit. PM me if you need anymore tips. Thank you for the compliment. I am an amateur at CUCV's I never did a dog head conversion or a 12 volt bypass relay and all that jazz. Just a sand and paint and complete overhaul x 100 +.
You had a good deal and the deal went away or did you have a good amount? Was that a good amount or a large amount? Does large equal good? I wouldn't call a "good" amount of cancer good.

He had a good stack of right sides, may still have one left. Does that mean he still has many right sides and only 1 left side. Or he had many right sides and may still have 1 remaining? :)
He still may have one remaining.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks