• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

forest522

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend! The ole m1009 and I spent some quality time together. Firstly, there has been an annoying issue on the passenger door window - as you get closer to the top when rolling it up, it gets tougher nearly failing to "roll up". Kids and wife hated it! So after a full disassemble, cuts and scratches, clean and lube, and a check of the alignment on the rear guide, it is a bit smoother and functional now, but still slightly tough as you get to the top.

Moving on...a trip to the u pull and u pay came up with some great parts. I acquired the little foam gaskets that fit in the rear corners of the removable top. Filled that hole finally! I also scored the grill mounted air intake cover from a civy Blazer. That and a couple of OEM hose assemblies and now I have a cold air intake set up! Combined with a new K&N filter, I am seeing real improvement in the engine's breathing and fuel mileage. At this elevation (5100 at the house), she seems to struggle for enough air. I took her for a run on the highway and the problem seems to be solved for now. A definite improvement in pep, response and less black smoke for sure!

And finally, I had read here in the forum that '09s used seats from the S10 line. Not sure why, but that is what the contract must have called for. I located seat hinges from two separate S10 extended cab trucks (1985) and bam...reclining and adjustable seats!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Let me know how that works out for you, I tried dealing with this guy, worst on-line experience ever!
I only worked with you from May 2014 till January of this year(2015) to find you reasonable shipping on a $30 item. I guess me taking time to box up said item, drive to ANY shipper you could think of to get a quote and kept the 24x24x42 inch box in the living-room waiting for you wasn't satisfactory.

Sorry to waste your time.

cucvrus

I have a little tutorial on how to overhaul the CUCV pintle hook.004.jpgThis is the broken spring off the M1009 Pintle hook. 005.jpg006.jpg007.jpgI removed the jaw using a 3/4" socket and wrench. I cleaned the bolts and the holes were lubricated with nickel never seize. And I replaced008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg014.jpg the spring with a hardware store expansion spring. Reassembled as good as new. nice strong spring and no need to beat the jaw open and closed. works like it was designed to 30 years ago. After a few coats of paint the hitch is ready to install on the Mule. I hope this is a helpful hint.

Hasdrubal

Sorry to waste your time.
Ahh..what? I have no issue with you regarding THAT..unfortunately $600 shipping to Canada was ridiculous. You said to give you a call if I could get a US address. So then, I finally found someone who had a US freight forwarding address across the border and would bring it back up for me. Sent you the info, and you replied with some another address which was 20 miles from the border, wouldn't be an issue for me, but as I had relayed to you, this person didn't want to drive down there as he crosses to fill up fuel, hit his shipping company and turn right around. Nothing I could do about that, asked you if you could ship to the address I provided. Well, you didn't reply. I'm well aware this is a cheap part, is not your main business, there's no money in it and you have a life. That's why I didn't send anymore e-mails. Waited a number of weeks and asked again if you could send it to the address I provided. You replied..I'll let you know. Then nothing. So...you could have said hey. man can't be bothered, sorry. Just the way you did it man. That's what got me. So, sorry if you got miffed originally checking with UPS and Fedex. I thought our communications were clear, there didn't seem to be any animosity from you.

kkcshipp

CUCVRUS that was a great tutorial; soon as I find one to put back on my M1009. I got a lead on one locally. PLease keep those lessons coming as I'm a visual learner and your posts are going to assist me greatly.

Another Ahab

CUCVRUS that was a great tutorial; soon as I find one to put back on my M1009. I got a lead on one locally. PLease keep those lessons coming as I'm a visual learner and your posts are going to assist me greatly.
No kidding; like maybe it ought to be a sticky or something (for easy retrieval and quick reference), you know!?

CUCVLOVER

I have a little tutorial on how to overhaul the CUCV pintle hook.View attachment 580454This is the broken spring off the M1009 Pintle hook. View attachment 580455View attachment 580456View attachment 580457I removed the jaw using a 3/4" socket and wrench. I cleaned the bolts and the holes were lubricated with nickel never seize. And I replacedView attachment 580458View attachment 580460View attachment 580461View attachment 580467 the spring with a hardware store expansion spring. Reassembled as good as new. nice strong spring and no need to beat the jaw open and closed. works like it was designed to 30 years ago. After a few coats of paint the hitch is ready to install on the Mule. I hope this is a helpful hint.
Sticky sticky sticky sticky.
Come on guys say it with me.
Thanks

cucvrus

I have another replacement part that fits the CUCV and is better then the OEM part.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpgThese are Energy Suspension Diesel radiator insulators. They are Energy Suspension part number 7-1712-BL they are available in RED also in you want RED. But they are less then $25. delivered and make a nice job when installing a new radiator or just making improvements to the OEM rubber ones that at this point are smashed flat and just setting there doing little more than nothing. These will help keep the radiator more secure. I hope it helps you in your build. I have been using these for a while now and with great results. Mr Rusty is getting this set. 4 pieces 2 for the top brackets and 2 for the original core support at the bottom. Good Luck.

rsh4364

Took my 86 1009 on a nice 150 mile round trip voyage today,performed flawlessly.I trust it now.I have decided to put a SMV symbol on tailgate. With 4:56 Gears =, printed in large block number and letters then the SMV sign.Maybe Ill get fewer single finger hellos from other vehicles....LOL.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Why is it so slow with 4:56 gears? I have them in my company M1008 and drive on I 81 and I 78 everyday. Most times in the left lane. Just turned 103K today and will be at the Chevrolet dealer tomorrow being full service. They do everything for $60. And I can hardly get the supplies and get under the truck and do that for the same money. I do get to go out and get a bottom side view while it up on the hoist. that is always helpful. We have a commercial GM account with them and they are pretty lenient with me. But like I said in the past I have driven these trucks for many years and never had any highway issues at speed. Are they loud? A bit louder then my 2014 Silverado is at the same speed. But nothing to get excited about. Today it was pouring rain and it always seems to run better in the rain and on damp cold days. I must say that the 8 tie down floor rings in the 1008 are very handy. I had 2 skids of hydraulic oil in 55 gallon drums loaded today and used a chain and ratchet to hold them down. Drove very smooth with 8 barrels in the bed. Only went 2 exits South. The 10 ply stock size tires are a must the way we run the truck. Maybe the M1009 tires are smaller then the LT23585/R16 tires but that would be the only issue to compound the gear/speed issue.

Another Ahab

Why is it so slow with 4:56 gears? I have them in my company M1008 and drive on I 81 and I 78 everyday. Most times in the left lane. Just turned 103K today and will be at the Chevrolet dealer tomorrow being full service. They do everything for $60. And I can hardly get the supplies and get under the truck and do that for the same money. I do get to go out and get a bottom side view while it up on the hoist. that is always helpful. We have a commercial GM account with them and they are pretty lenient with me.
I didn't know there was even a single part you could buy for $60.

That's a great price (that is, if they actually do more than just check your tire pressure).

rsh4364

Rick our opinions differ on this subject.I simply am not comfortable spinning my 6.2s over 2800 rpms for any length of time.At 55 Im at 2500rpms with 33" tires. Im more about mpgs this is my only transportation right now.The Malibu lost #8 piston and my 85 1009 is patienty waiting for its new radiator,fuel tank,lift pump,injector pump,starter,batts and brake lines.

Last edited:

tim292stro

Hello to Ohio, I have a lot of Ohio people in my apartment this week, and one from Kentucky :beer:

Better question is why does a M1009 have 4.56 gears (should be 3.08 )? M1009 tires should be 31" just like 235/85R16 tires...

If it won't get up over 55, I'd be more worried the transmission was shot.

rsh4364

Hello to Ohio, I have a lot of Ohio people in my apartment this week, and one from Kentucky :beer:

Better question is why does a M1009 have 4.56 gears (should be 3.08 )? M1009 tires should be 31" just like 235/85R16 tires...

If it won't get up over 55, I'd be more worried the transmission was shot.
Thanks Tim,it will go faster I have had it to 70mph but was spinning nearly 3300 rpm,close to fact. redline.It has a new motor and trans,they are good.It came from Iowa DNR they regeared it for towing.Tell the fellow Buckeyes Hey. Im about 20 miles SW of Cedar Point,everyone in Ohio k nows that place.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Silly thing to do with that hitch GM put on there :)
They also added an under bumper frame mounted receiver on it which looks trustworthy.I just wish I had known about the gear swap before I bought it site unseen online.It would have been nice if when they regeared to 4.56 they installed the 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front diffs.But it is what it is.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks