• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Installed some 10mm sound insulation under the hood it helped reduce the noise in the cab more than I thought it would
Was it pre-fit, or did you have to cut it to shape?

And you like relatively new to the site seansilverado, so welcome from Virginia here in the good old U.S.A.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Really? Hehe.

So is that what you are getting me for Christmas?
Thanks I love it.
I have lots of uses for it.
Well, at least i THINK that's the kit we're talking about, right!?

And you got to remember that the neighbors sometimes get testy about these in the driveway.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Thanks buddy.

Today I changed the glow plugs with AC delco 60 G plugs.
KIMG1051.jpgKIMG1050.jpg
I changed the ends on the wires instead of grinding the tabs.
I think I got luck as I didn't break any or have any that really wanted to stay in the engine. The plugs I removed where AC delco 13 G plugs. I put them in the 60 G boxs and stuck the in the glove box.
I changed the rubber fuel line where it goes IN to the filter.
Also I mounted my CB radio.KIMG1056.jpg

Another Ahab

Thanks buddy.
It was one of my grandpa's radios.
I have not decided yet. I am trying to decide between Rebel, country boy, redneck, or green iron driver.

What do you think I should use?
Brother, you should use ALL of them; like this:

- "This is Country-Boy-Redneck-Rebel-Green-Iron-Driver; come on back"

NovacaineFix

This month has been the most expensive month of maintaining my CUVC since I got it.

Brakes, fuel lines, transfer case, minor electrical, wiper motor and the last few weeks has been the game of "What fluid is leaking now?"

Okay, I love this truck, but this month it has been like a needy baby, always in need of some attention. Now granted, the truck is 30+ years old, it was maintained by a fleet before I had it but just not sure how competent the fleet maintenance was, but that's another story.
The M1009 of mine is my daily work driver, it carries my tools and supplies and I put about 600-800 miles per week on it, so I know some things are going to break or wear out.

Here is the list of this month's repairs or things I need to get to:

1. Front Leaf springs (still need)- these have been a sore spot for me, as I know I need them but the other daily repairs alway seem to drain the cash from the fund of getting these.

2. Fuel lines (repaired)- was leaking a what I thought was engine oil, but wound up being diesel fuel. The leaking fuel was washing the sides of the block from previous oil leaks and made it appear to be an oil leak. The "S" hose that feeds the mechanical fuel pump was cracked and started getting worse, of course in the middle of the week when I have little time to work on it. Okay, got it repaired, one of the problems solved of it leaving spots on the ground when parking, Yay!!

3. Transfer case leak (repaired) - after getting the fuel "S" hose replaced and that leak solved, started noticing another leak in the shape of an "L". This one was easy, cause the fluid was red, ah tranny fluid. I figured it was the trans pan gasket, so I started looking. Trans pan looks good, could probably use a service, but we'll tackle that when I have more time and funds, it was the transfer case leaking and a little from where the transfer case mounts to the transmission.
Took the transfer case off, can tell that it has been done before. Luckily, everything looks good, chain is probably worn a bit from the noticeable scratches on the inside of the case, but it's Sunday and I don't have a chain at the moment. Removed the transfer case housing, cleaned it all up, applied new silicone RTV to the case and re-installed, leak fixed. As for the leak at the mounting hub, 5 of the 6 bolts were loose, like I could spin them by hand loose. Removed the bolts 1 at a time, cleaned them up, put some new loctite on them and re-installed, so far so good.

4. Brakes (repaired) - I do a lot of driving around, half city half freeway, so I expected the brakes to wear out. I just put nice new pads on last year, thought they would have lasted longer than that, but they didn't. Rotors where good, close call as the inner pad was down to almost the metal backing plate.

5. Belts (repaired) - When I bought this truck, I suspected that the belts were not the correct ones, but they worked for the most part, until I started getting that dreaded power steering squeal when I would cut the wheel hard. I replaced the belts prior with the same number that was previously installed and that was the problem. Who ever replaced the belts before me, took the long belt that goes from the crank to the water pump and then to the power steering pump (gates 9580) and replaced it with a much smaller and thinner belt [why?]. The other belts were okay, but I also needed to get a shorter power steering belt (gates 7448) and the gates 7455 was just a hair too long. Anyway, got the right belts on there now, no more squealing and no more belt flop from not being tight enough.

6. Wiper motor (repaired) - Of course the one time it rains in San Diego, my wiper motor goes out. I had to resort spraying Rain X on the windshield to make it home safely until I got a new one. Anyway, after replacing the wiper motor, last week I go to clean the windshield off, and nothing, no squirt no go. Wound up being a slightly loose connection or a visiting gremlin.

7. Minor electrical (not repaired but figured out) - what now? I have a DVR that I use when I drive just in case I am ever in an accident. It's a cheapy Ebay unit for like $30, nothing too fancy, but it works pretty well, well until it didn't. I thought my 12V outlet (cigarette lighter plug) went bad or blew a fuse. Come to find out that the cheap 12V adapter plug for the DVR has a frayed wire, just have to repair the wire or just get a new adapter.

8. This week on "What fluid is leaking Now?" Coolant (still in progress) - Again, this truck like many others is 30+ years old and by the look of it, so is the radiator. I pulled it out cause it was leaking on one side, wanted to see if it was something that was repairable, it wasn't. Okay, order a new radiator, also read the threads about others having trouble with the oil cooler lines, so I was looking forward to that. Get the new radiator, upper and lower hose, heater hoses, clamps, new coolant, sealer and sensor, just over $400 for all, not bad.
20151101_120159.jpg20151101_120202.jpg20151101_120239.jpg
Picked up the radiator on Saturday along with all the other stuff to do the swap on Sunday. Get all ready to swap out the radiator and noticed that the top and bottom of the "new" radiator are crushed.
20151101_120658.jpg20151101_120652.jpg
I could put it in, but no! Not taking the chance. The parts store I deal with, I have been buying parts from them for close to 20 years and they treat me good, as well as giving me a decent price, so this will have to wait until next weekend. This radiator was special order and had to be shipped from Phoenix so not sure where another one is.

So with all that said, I still love this truck, just wish that all the repairs it needs or wants wouldn't come in all at the same time.
Hope your CUCV isn't in need of this much attention, if so, I feel your pain.

Another Ahab

6. Wiper motor (repaired) - Of course the one time it rains in San Diego, my wiper motor goes out. I had to resort spraying Rain X on the windshield to make it home safely until I got a new one. Anyway, after replacing the wiper motor, last week I go to clean the windshield off, and nothing, no squirt no go. Wound up being a slightly loose connection or a visiting gremlin.
Brother, now you KNOW that the maintenance gods plan it that way:

- The part always gives out exactly at the precise moment when you can least afford it to do so.

That's totally normal of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks