• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

I would put on a new set of front calipers. I suspect that is what wore the inner pad out. And clean / lube the bolts and slides real good when you assemble. Some Dura-last ceramic pad from Autozone are a sweet deal also. Warranted for life. Easy fix with the miles you are putting on that rig. Even if you changed the calipers the rear wheel cylinders and front calipers you would have a new brake system for less the $150. Good deal. I do it on everyone I make road worthy just as a precaution and a reliability issue. Do as you wish. Good Luck.

Assel

novacainefix, I threw also a lot of new parts into my CUCV, still looking forward to change freeze-plugs (1 is leaky, few drips a day) and my new proportioning valve is leaky again...not the lines, no it leaks out of the "push" button o_O ..new one is waiting for install..they are really weighted up in gold over here in germany -.- ...hope this stays good for longer than a few months. Also I changed the complete brake system and switched to DOT3, for legal & availability reasons. new calipers, rotors etc. New transmission oil & filter + 2 gaskets and a new trans oil pan (broke one, tightened to fast). Flushed the coolant , replaced gasket at thermostat pipe, also threw in a new thermostat while I was on it... A new glowplug controller card, new batteries, new glowplug relay and cleaned nearly all electrical connections I could find. Oh and I did the doghead relay mod. And engine oil & Filter all 3-4k miles (like twice a year)

My CUCV aswell needs new springs...and I want to replace all shocks, 1 leaks ..the other ones not, but they all look like their are there since 30yrs. And I have a new set of 60g glowplugs here to have them when in need (until now my CUCV starts like a champ, almost no cranking, little smoke when under 0°C ) And maybe I have her repainted at a shop in original woodland pattern (the rattle can paintjob it has now gets only worse the more I do on it during rust threatments etc. :grd:)

But I also love that Truck and the looks I get when driving it are worth everything I have done to it yet.

Its nearly on being my daylie driver, but when they start to salt the roads here, my Audi 80 quattro will be in everyday use again and the ´09 will be put to sleep.

Another Ahab

Its nearly on being my daylie driver, but when they start to salt the roads here, my Audi 80 quattro will be in everyday use again and the ´09 will be put to sleep.
I was just reading in the local newspaper here yesterday (yeah, I admit: old school) that we use sugar beet solution here in DC for winter road treatment, lasts longer on the roads and doesn't corrode like the salts.

Check it out; here's the link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...12b040-7e66-11e5-afce-2afd1d3eb896_story.html

markinnh

today I used my m1031 as a lawn tractor tire bead breaker...worked great!...wish I could get rid of the front end death wobble so I could use it more often! it still does it even after I changed to .373:1 differentials for the highway

Ackevor

Replaced Front bearings, rotors, and axle u joints. Waiting to pickup new calipers.
I was just reading in the local newspaper here yesterday (yeah, I admit: old school) that we use sugar beet solution here in DC for winter road treatment, lasts longer on the roads and doesn't corrode like the salts.

Check it out; here's the link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...12b040-7e66-11e5-afce-2afd1d3eb896_story.html

I wonder what it would take to get my local municipality and others surround to switch to this stuff. Sounds like an excellent solution to reducing the rust issues as well as lower temperature effectiveness.

Edit: Looks like they have tested it last year. http://www.goerie.com/article/20140...rimental-antiskid-beets-salt-in-extreme-cold#

Last edited:

Assel

today I spontanously decided to do a rattle-can paintjob on my '09 ...I ordered the wrong green (noticed after the camo spot I repainted had dried) and therefor I thought it might be better looking if I change it all..ordered some more cans and now it looks like this...its a unique camo pattern I created...wanted to be somewhat near "CCE" Camo from the french uniforms...but to be true CCE the tan spots should be bigger and the olive changed to dark brown...maybe I do this..or leave it like it is now ^^

But I really like the "wood green" it has now mainly... I pressure washed it before the paint job and that was all...I didn´t bother sanding anything....I was just curious how it would look (I like it, but I have to redo the Hood, there are some bad spots)

Since it already had a rattle can fantasy camo when I bought it, there was no reason to be afraid of the result ;-)

DSC_0267.jpgDSC_0268.jpg

Assel

The windows are painted because they are not windows anymore :whistle: It has a wall welded behind the front seats (have an "emergency" seat between the stock ones, and the Back is now a shortbed and the hardtop had its windows removed and replaced with sheet metal... all that was done by a previous owner to get it listed as truck. If it has the backseat it can only be registered as car or historical, (car means 2.5k€ taxes per year with the military 6.2 Diesel and historical has some restrictions in paint, appearance and yearly mileage)

therefor its a K10 CUCV now ...sort of :mrgreen:

cucvrus

I think the paint job looks fine. But I am 12K miles away. I think the window paint is a nice addition. I replaced the windows from one of my M1009's once and put 3/16" aluminum in place of the glass. I had no windows at the time and could not find any. It was sort of unique. Sold that one. In PA you are not allowed to paint the windows. The metal ones were legal but not painted glass ones. I see the wraps on vehicles with the translucent decals are legal but that is all. They bust people for window tinting in PA. And every municipality has its own set of rules. It don't bother me I have no tinted glass other then factory tint. Looks good and very German. I like Flek torn German Camo. That would look good on the M1009.

CUCVLOVER

The windows are painted because they are not windows anymore :whistle: It has a wall welded behind the front seats (have an "emergency" seat between the stock ones, and the Back is now a shortbed and the hardtop had its windows removed and replaced with sheet metal... all that was done by a previous owner to get it listed as truck. If it has the backseat it can only be registered as car or historical, (car means 2.5k€ taxes per year with the military 6.2 Diesel and historical has some restrictions in paint, appearance and yearly mileage)

therefor its a K10 CUCV now ...sort of :mrgreen:
Ok.
So does the "wall" actually seal up from the elements or is it just "there"?

Assel

Its a solid ~5mm steel wall...Cab is closed, but someone put speakers in the wall and I decided to put a canvas over them. So you dont see them from outside and to protect them from rain if I drive without Hardtop (I like the pickup style, so mostly in the summer the hardtop is taken off) heres an older picture of my pickup bedIMG_2164.jpg

Lizard Dog

Where'd you get the turn signal and how hard was it to replace?
Previous owner threw it in, so unfortunately I don't have a source for you. It wasn't hard to install at all, it just pulls part-way out, rotates a bit and then pulls the rest of the way out. The new one pops right back in. Hardest part for me was figuring that out!

mperry

Yes, it's a primer. I followed a previous thread and one of the users had it. I thought it would be easier than the hassle of manually priming. It added a little to the whole price, but it think it'll be worth it in the long run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks