• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Ilikemtb999

I cut the heads of the rivets off of the rear spring hangers and then wailed away at them trying to remove the rest of the rivets or get the hangers off. They refuse to cooperate.

thz71

I cut the heads of the rivets off of the rear spring hangers and then wailed away at them trying to remove the rest of the rivets or get the hangers off. They refuse to cooperate.
I shall be doing that soon as well.
Easy fix. I buy a 72" (6ft) piece of 1/4" and go at it. That line is a you make it your self line. It is easy. take your time. And make sure you re-secure the new line to the frame. From the looks of it you may want to just replace them all out back there while you are at it. Preventive maintenance.
Good advice thanks man

thz71

Easy fix. I buy a 72" (6ft) piece of 1/4" and go at it. That line is a you make it your self line. It is easy. take your time. And make sure you re-secure the new line to the frame. From the looks of it you may want to just replace them all out back there while you are at it. Preventive maintenance.
And the threads on the fittings are 1/2-20?

I did this recently. Make sure the heads are all the way ground down. Then hit it with a bigger hammer. They will come off.

gottaluvit

You got me on that one. It is 1/4 " double flared tubing. It has the correct flare nuts on the end. The cross axle lines are 3/16" and I would change the wheel cylinders while I was at it. Less the $40. for the pair.
I always take the old one off first to measure it's length and then cut both ends off and take them with me to the parts store and lay them on the counter and tell them the length.

gottaluvit

We're holding you to it:

- You promised. :mrgreen:
Ok. I held to my promise. One is the tow strap hook type. I picked these up at the GA rally in fresh green but the only flat rattlecan I had was black. Had to thin the tow strap one down with the grinder so my pin would go deep enough for the retaining pin hole to protrude. The regular type is not for a CUCV either and the guy selling them told me in advance that I would have to grind the inside so it would fit. No problem, but had to make them all black. I still like them. I got two of each but only used one tow strap hook type on the CUCV and one on my five ton.
20151107_122712.jpg20151107_122719.jpg20151107_122724.jpg

Put the only two I had, on the rear. Was running only one front and one rear.
20151107_122658.jpg

thz71

Ok. I held to my promise. One is the tow strap hook type. I picked these up at the GA rally in fresh green but the only flat rattlecan I had was black. Had to thin the tow strap one down with the grinder so my pin would go deep enough for the retaining pin hole to protrude. The regular type is not for a CUCV either and the guy selling them told me in advance that I would have to grind the inside so it would fit. No problem, but had to make them all black. I still like them. I got two of each but only used one tow strap hook type on the CUCV and one on my five ton.
View attachment 592496View attachment 592497View attachment 592498

View attachment 592500
I also only have 2 of the correct style

rsh4364

Today pulled Jatonka winter grill cover from my as yet non running 85 1009 and installed on my 86 1009.Looks kinda goofy since my 86 came to me with no 24v jump port and no grill mounted blackout light.But it works well,warmed up to 190 in half the driving distance and then settled down to 175.It was about 40 out.But gonna be a lot colder soon.Then spent the rest of day in woods cutting wood with Sis and Bro-in-law.

rsh4364

View attachment 592496View attachment 592497View attachment 592498

View attachment 592500
I like that tow strap type hook,it would also serve me as a step up when working under hood.Im a short old man.

CUCVLOVER

Today I changed the oil in the front differential. The cover didn't even have a gasket on it just lots of silicone rubber. After i got the oil out I cleaned up the cover a little. It didn't have any chunks of metal on the magnet or anything.
I put permetex on the cover, then the correct gasket from NAPA, then sealer again. I held the cover up and got a bolt in it, then I put the rest of the bolts in and tight. Filling the oil was a little difficult. I ended up cutting down a flex filter and using a cut up bottle for the flange. Then I had to cut down another bottle to use to put the oil in because I couldn't get the jug up there.
This is the permetex I used.
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...on-form-a-gasket--no--3-sealant-liquid-detail
Then I greased the steering, and the knuckles. I need to get the stuff and grease the front drive shaft and also the rear.

Any tips for greasing the front drive shaft on a m1008?

cucvrus

I installed new Energy Suspension motor mounts, new drag link assembly, Lube, oil, filter and fuel filter. All these parts went on the Jersey Indian and then I sent it to the snow plow Dr. On the way I noticed the heater core was leaking. Oh well something else to fix. Remember it isn't a daily driver and it is 30 years old + . The Energy Suspension motor mounts are the ticket. If you look under your hood and the fuel line is laying on the front cross member it is time for new motor mounts. If you don't have a fuel pump check out how close the bolt is for the dip stick. If you see a chew mark on the frame in front of the bolt. Time for new motor mounts. The new ones lift the engine about 1 inch higher. Do not use the wire ties they send with the mounts. use short 5/16" bolts instead. Hope that helps someone out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks