• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

chief1983

How can you install a civvy 12v socket if the ashtray is bolted shut? And the ashtray itself makes a great storage area for a 12v socket Y adapter. So I have two 12v sockets in my truck now.

Assel

welcome tonkasal

since we had lots of rain during the last days and dry roads and the end of the day (all the salt they spent on the little snow we had was washed away) I decided to wake my ´09 up. Took the truck to the gas station, got some diesel and a sip of 2stroke oil and then we went to buy some stuff (I still love how shocked the people here are when you arrive with a CUCV on 33´ MT´s at a parking lot. I drove for about 1 1/2 hours with 2 restarts (at the gas station and super-market) to make sure my batteries are charged.

but when I first started it (fired right up, perfect start) my GEN2 light wont go out until I gave the gas pedal a little slam...normally they go out by themselves in a few seconds... Is there a problem showing up? I will keep an eye on that...

tim292stro

...I still love how shocked the people here are when you arrive with a CUCV on 33´ MT´s at a parking lot...
My friend's parents are British and are always amazed at how large american vehicles are - seems most in Europe are used to small compacts and hot-hatches... A full-sized diesel Blazer is probably like an elephant on the road there :beer:

...Is there a problem showing up?...
Check belt adjustment first.

Bought a bunch of stuff for my '09 - and it's about two weeks from its first major mechanic's visit. All fluids, filters, transmission hard line, new lift pump, speedo-cable, engine mounts, soft fuel hoses - don't need to do injector lines as of yet. I think that's it for this evolution.

I'd do it myself, but I can't argue with the quality of work my mechanic does and he'll do this while I'm taking my youngest to swim class - done by the time I'm out and showered [thumbzup]. Leaves my weekends for chasing electrical stuff and playing with kids.

Assel

My friend's parents are British and are always amazed at how large american vehicles are - seems most in Europe are used to small compacts and hot-hatches... A full-sized diesel Blazer is probably like an elephant on the road there :beer:

Check belt adjustment first.
Well I think its actual size isn´t that unnormal compared to a BMW X5 or those GT series, VW Touareg or Porsche Cayenne ...I think its more the fact that its old,dirty, rugged ..and loud :D but yeah small cars are normal here ...some people even call ford rangers "big american pickup trucks" .. I really need a lifted K3500 dually or something like that (wasn´t there a dually CUCV?)

The belt thing: well I think my belts are actually a bit flappy, if adjustment wont help I have a new set here...hope they fit. but honestly, I have to say I´m more the "it still runs, dont touch it" type of person :D (this does not include normal maintenance, that needs to be done)

Since I own my CUCV it never saw a mechanics shop from inside, every repair/maintenance etc. was done at home by myself.

Another Ahab

I'd do it myself, but I can't argue with the quality of work my mechanic does and he'll do this while I'm taking my youngest to swim class - done by the time I'm out and showered . Leaves my weekends for chasing electrical stuff and playing with kids.
That's important work (and I'm not even kidding here).

It can amaze you what you think is small and insignificant, but a kid will remember it their whole life long; just the tiniest things.

Playing with kids is important work! :naner:

tonkasal

Thanks for the welcome, i've been a steelsoldiers "viewer" for quite a while, but now that I'm doing more with my M1008, I'll be posting more.
My Gen2 light also comes on and off during idle, but goes out once the rpms are above 650.

tonkasal

Yes, you have to cut out the lower braces from both rear tow hooks to access the frames bolt holes if you want to use a bolt on hitch. You can always create a new brace with some 3/8's bar stock and attach it to the two bar and hitch to re-strengthen the lower supports.

tonkasal

Did you have to modify the hitch or truck any to get the hitch in there? Did the pintle hook braces that attach to the frame interfere?
Yes, you have to cut out the lower braces from both rear tow hooks to access the frames bolt holes if you want to use a bolt on hitch. You can always create a new brace with some 3/8's bar stock and attach it to the tow bar bolts and hitch bolts to re-strengthen the lower supports.

Added some pics from my phone.
20151104_184044.jpg20151104_231805.jpg20151104_184032.jpg20151104_231834.jpg20151104_184100.jpg20151113_170236.jpg

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Yes, you have to cut out the lower braces from both rear tow hooks to access the frames bolt holes if you want to use a bolt on hitch. You can always create a new brace with some 3/8's bar stock and attach it to the tow bar bolts and hitch bolts to re-strengthen the lower supports.

View attachment 597163View attachment 597161View attachment 597164View attachment 597160View attachment 597162View attachment 597159
Ok. I see. Thank you for the info and pictures as well. Nice to know model number too. Did you just get that truck on a Govplanet auction? I saw a real sharp unit went a few months back and it was white and in GA.

cucvrus

Did you have to modify the hitch or truck any to get the hitch in there? Did the pintle hook braces that attach to the frame interfere?
I just put the same hitch on Mr Rusty. The diagonal pintle hitch braces do not interfere. But the bottom braces on the bumper will have to be eliminated or modified. It can easily be done with a torch, grinder and welder. I just did away with the underside brace. I don't think it will be air lifted or tied down on a transport in the near future. And if so I will secure it to the frame like every other vehicle gets tied down. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

View attachment 597163View attachment 597161View attachment 597164View attachment 597160View attachment 597162View attachment 597159

I think the little pieces of zinc flat bar with the holes in go on top of the frame flange. It helps distribute the weight better on the flange. Sort of spread it out in a way. I seen that they made the same hitch to fit Ford Dodge and General Motors heavy and light duty pick-ups. That is a one hitch fits all design. Works well. Double check me on the Zinc pieces.

tonkasal

I think the little pieces of zinc flat bar with the holes in go on top of the frame flange. It helps distribute the weight better on the flange. Sort of spread it out in a way. I seen that they made the same hitch to fit Ford Dodge and General Motors heavy and light duty pick-ups. That is a one hitch fits all design. Works well. Double check me on the Zinc pieces.
Actually, there are zinc spacers on both sides "top and bottom". I just did them the way the instructions laid them out.

tonkasal

Ok. I see. Thank you for the info and pictures as well. Nice to know model number too. Did you just get that truck on a Govplanet auction? I saw a real sharp unit went a few months back and it was white and in GA.
I got this one from a family member in California and had it shipped to GA. I will paint it back to original CARC green and add the MT markings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks