• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

llong66

Got my new shackles in and started mocking up my shock mounts

In your first image of the shakle, the mount for it looks adjustable, is this something you fabed up or is it a mount designed to allow different spring lengths or something like that? If it is something you created, what is the thought behind it?

Thanks,
Greg

Ilikemtb999

In your first image of the shakle, the mount for it looks adjustable, is this something you fabed up or is it a mount designed to allow different spring lengths or something like that? If it is something you created, what is the thought behind it?

Thanks,
Greg
its a zero lift shackle flip from totally naked auto that's local to me. Yes it's adjustable for stock 52's up to 64's. I mainly got it because it doesn't raise the truck up at all but I also plan on going to 56's at some point.

thz71

What's the point of a zero lift shackle flip? Just so you can run 56s? With no lift you're going to stuff the tires before you run out of flex anyway.

Another Ahab

They are all bosch except that one 13.
They were not swollen. Just figured it was time for jew ones with the recent battery troubles ive been having. I put in 8 new 60g. And 2 new batteries. Oh and 1 new connector. B
Jew = new. (B) = fat thumb typo.
Oh I see. Because you know the only problem with jew ones, on Saturdays they just never work. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Sam06

Today was fix the M1028 day. It has been getting harder and harder to start.

I thought it was the GP but they tested fine. Checked the GP Relay it was getting too much power. (This 1028 has had the doghead mod done to the starter and it has a manual GP to a solenoid) and it was not passing that power to the GP. The GP were not getting anything. I pulled 6 of them and they looked very good(They are AC G60's) That means its the GP resistor.

I pulled it and tested it it was not reading correctly. Time for a resistor bypass and GP relay change out.

Pulled out the resistor. Hooked the power supply side of the relay to the 12v buss on the firewall next to the brake Master Cylinder. Replaced the old Clumb solenoid with a NAPA ST85. Checked to see if the GP had power with a test light, they did. Pulled the 24v wire from the Big bus bar and saved it for whatever.

I hit the GP Button in the cab, the ST85 kind buzzes instead of clunking like the old one did. Held it for 15sec and turned the key.............................Bam! it cranked better than it has in 3 months and it has not been started in 5 days.

I read a lot of posts here and really looked at the -20.

Now the Green Machine is ready for winter and some wood hauling!

ltcray

Finally had a little "spare time", figured I should check the glow plugs. Wee Beastie has been a bit hard to get started in the early AM lately. Yep, figures... the three hardest to get to (4, 6, and 8 ) were all bad. The previous owner must have thought they were to difficult to deal with. And all eight had uniformly corroded tabs. So now, I'm waiting for more spare time -and spare money... to replace the whole bunch.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Went to pick up an M54 with my buddy.
I think I am going to call that thing: Sir Smoke-a-lot.
When pulling away at the service station, I barely saw the road, nor the truck in front of me.
Mobile environmental violation, LOL..

Well, after we dropped off the truck, continued to an auction vieuwing day, lots of ex-army stuff to see.
Asked a buddy if he could bid on a survival axe sp-16. That would be a nice adition to the M1028 ( still wonder what the oddly shaped hole in the center is..)

Then that same guy asked me if I could pick up a Willy's jeep engine. Sure, why not?
Got a full tank of diesel and €50 for the job. This I like.

gottaluvit

Got my rear shocks installed. Front ones seemed alright. I just happened to have a brand new set of Rough Country N2.0s that came with a 2" lifted front spring kit I bought for a civy Chevy a couple years ago and never changed rear shocks. 20151206_172637.jpgVery smooth removal with the motor pool using lube on the bushings. I expected worse. Nearly ran out of daylight but got an extension thanks to this glowing sky.20151206_171622.jpg

CUCVLOVER

Almost lost it again last night. What kind of maniac cuts off a 5800 pound pre-antilock-brakes truck?

https://youtu.be/BIsXq3WDoYU
Most drivers do not understand mechanics and physics now days. I have people cut me off in my 08. I'm going to get a cam like that I think it would be very handy. My dad has a 2015 Chevy 3500 crew cab, flatbed, dually, and, the D-max engine. He pulls a 20 foot goose neck trailer and people pull out in front of and stop in front of him every chance they get.

I guess they need bill boards with videos playing of cars getting squashed by large pick ups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks