• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Keith_J

Finally got the 1031 riding level. The spring arching didn't do enough so I found a pair of overload springs from the local auto parts shop that will work with just a little modification. They ride under the bump stop bracket..which I reinforced with a bit of steel so the spring rides on solid metal, not just the bracket. The bottom of the spring is on the supplied perches, secured with a U bolt to the axle. Not a bad upgrade for $50. No more low beams into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
Right now, the truck is 8400 pounds gross. I've thought about relocating some of the heavy stuff to over the rear axle instead of in the aft lower compartments but want to keep the CG low. Heavy stuff like a 50 ton bottle jack, heavy chains and recovery gear. I moved the air compressor up high over the generator so I was a bit concerned about the CG rising too high. Might look at a rear sway bar or better, cross fed hydraulic cylinders with two hydraulic accumulators. Same function as a sway bar but adjustable in preload.

Keith_J

Almost lost it again last night. What kind of maniac cuts off a 5800 pound pre-antilock-brakes truck?

https://youtu.be/BIsXq3WDoYU
Been there but with redesigned sheet metal :(. Not in an FMV but my old drum/drum braked truck. The load sensitive rear brakes on my 1031 CUCV has given me fits due to sagging rear springs, causing the rear axle to have too much brake pressure and locking up. I fixed that with helper coils. Now the rear brakes no longer lock up.

Always drive defensively. That idiot made a moving violation by changing lanes in the intersection, as per the motor vehicle code of Texas.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always drive defensively. That idiot made a moving violation by changing lanes in the intersection, as per the motor vehicle code of Texas.
He was also in a right turn only lane. The traffic is bad due to the parallel road being closed for construction. The cars behind me were backed up quite a ways; that guy just figured he was too important to wait like everyone else, so he thought he's try something cute. 200 watts of Federal Signal air horn got his attention. I was sure he was going to plow into the car in front of him.

cucvrus

Finally got the 1031 riding level. The spring arching didn't do enough so I found a pair of overload springs from the local auto parts shop that will work with just a little modification. They ride under the bump stop bracket..which I reinforced with a bit of steel so the spring rides on solid metal, not just the bracket. The bottom of the spring is on the supplied perches, secured with a U bolt to the axle. Not a bad upgrade for $50. No more low beams into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
Right now, the truck is 8400 pounds gross. I've thought about relocating some of the heavy stuff to over the rear axle instead of in the aft lower compartments but want to keep the CG low. Heavy stuff like a 50 ton bottle jack, heavy chains and recovery gear. I moved the air compressor up high over the generator so I was a bit concerned about the CG rising too high. Might look at a rear sway bar or better, cross fed hydraulic cylinders with two hydraulic accumulators. Same function as a sway bar but adjustable in preload.
I think you need to find a Ford F550 4 x 4 cab chassis for that rig. I saw a few for sale that would work out great for you. These modern trucks handle a lot more weight. They never offered C & K series trucks in anything bigger then the 30 series back in the CUC/V era. Also I would get a new set of springs made up at a spring place that can make springs to what ever specifications that you want. I never had any luck re-arching springs on trucks that were always loaded. Do you use that truck as a service truck? Just wondering. If you could load and unload some of the stuff as you need it for the jobs you are going on. Cut down on all the weight and help out the load issue. Just an idea. Happy Holidays.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently discovered that my brake lights were not working at all. My truck doesn't have a blackout light controller so I knew that part couldn't have caused the problem. I hit the brakes with the engine off, on, lights off, lights on. They still didn't work. I took the red lenses off and looked at the bulbs; both bulbs were in good shape. The running lights worked fine. This led me to look at the brake light switch. It was bad. I called a couple of parts houses. O'Reilly's had a replacement on the shelf for $12. The part number is Master Pro 2-8625. The threads of the replacement are identical to the factory original. It was very easy to replace.

Procedure:
Remove the interior panel under the steering wheel. Look for a white threaded switch that touches a plate attached to the brake pedal. Pressing the pedal activates the lights when the plunger inside the switch is extended. Carefully remove the clips on both sides of the connector. Use a thin blade screwdriver to pop the clips free, wiggling from side to side. Unscrew the switch. Screw the new one in and connect the plug. If you want you can remove the two nuts from the new switch before installing. Don't screw it in all the way; doing so will push the brake pedal down.

My backup lights looked old and possibly burned out so I replaced them. The part number is Sylvania 1156, and they come in a pack of two.

:)

Attachments

NovacaineFix

Almost lost it again last night. What kind of maniac cuts off a 5800 pound pre-antilock-brakes truck?

https://youtu.be/BIsXq3WDoYU
Happens all the time in my CUCV, thats why I always drive with Windshield mounted DVR, just in case.
Think thats bad, try having this happen when driving a 5-ton with no ABS, mine weighs in at just over 19,000 empty, without a cup of coffee in my hand.

Be safe out there.

Another Ahab

Been there but with redesigned sheet metal . Not in an FMV but my old drum/drum braked truck.
Happens all the time in my CUCV, thats why I always drive with Windshield mounted DVR, just in case.
Well, you know, if everybody on the street was real smart we wouldn't all of us be buying Lottery tickets either:

lottery.gif

gottaluvit

Changed oil with Rotella today and put a Napa Gold filter on it. Why is the old oil such a nasty black. My 5 ton had pretty clean oil in it when I got it (changed it anyway) and this oil in the CUCV was nasty black when I got it and the PO said he just changed it. It was black already today after only 5 minutes run time!

Also pressure washed it to include the whole underneath. There is some rust. Wish people took better care of trucks before I get them!

tim292stro

Check your CDR valve. When those let go, they don't pull the blow-by out of the crankcase, leading to higher deposits of soot in the oil :beer:

May take a few changes to clean out what was left also.

cucvrus

1985 Chevrolet M1008A1
Also pressure washed it to include the whole underneath. There is some rust. Wish people took better care of trucks before I get them!

At this point in time 30 years it is just a matter of age. It was used hard for at least 20 years by guys that did not own it and cared very little for it. It was a great joy to ride in and drive thru the mud. But at the end of the day it got parked and that was it. If it was a National Guard vehicle it sat for months or years without being moved. I have seen it first hand. I seen vehicles parked at the Gap at the same spot for 10 years and never get moved. I remember seeing 2 M1009's with a slave cable connecting them setting at the Gap for over 6 months. That battery must have really been dead. And the drivers window and gate glass window was cranked all the way down. The were washing them out. Taking better care of them. Never going to happen. Happy Holidays. I always take my company CUC/V to the dealer for the service. It is a lot less then you think.

gottaluvit

1985 Chevrolet M1008A1

At this point in time 30 years it is just a matter of age. It was used hard for at least 20 years by guys that did not own it and cared very little for it. It was a great joy to ride in and drive thru the mud. But at the end of the day it got parked and that was it. If it was a National Guard vehicle it sat for months or years without being moved. I have seen it first hand. I seen vehicles parked at the Gap at the same spot for 10 years and never get moved. I remember seeing 2 M1009's with a slave cable connecting them setting at the Gap for over 6 months. That battery must have really been dead. And the drivers window and gate glass window was cranked all the way down. The were washing them out. Taking better care of them. Never going to happen. Happy Holidays. I always take my company CUC/V to the dealer for the service. It is a lot less then you think.
That is very true. Just too many hands on it with nothing in it. When I was a driver in regular Army, active duty, I spent an hour or more cleaning my 5 ton after any day it got used. It got pretty dirty on them dirt roads in Wielflecken and Hohenfels. I had other soldiers tell me, "that's why I don't want a truck". I was happy pulling maintenance nearly every day at base, so the cleanup when I got to drive, while they humped the ruck sack, was very much worth it.

Another Ahab

That is very true. Just too many hands on it with nothing in it. When I was a driver in regular Army, active duty, I spent an hour or more cleaning my 5 ton after any day it got used. It got pretty dirty on them dirt roads in Wielflecken and Hohenfels. I had other soldiers tell me, "that's why I don't want a truck". I was happy pulling maintenance nearly every day at base, so the cleanup when I got to drive, while they humped the ruck sack, was very much worth it.
The smart thing to do, right off the bat, is enlist Navy:

- We "ain't got no" rucksacks. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks