• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

It's CUCV
Wow you are really getting desperate to correct people now. Next thing you know you will hold all my posts for moderation approval.
\
I don't think there's one person that is reading these posts that does not know what I am referring to when I type CUC/V. So I will call it a CUC/V and you can call it a CUCV. Fair enough? Happy / Holidays has the same meaning as Happy Holidays. Peace on earth good will towards CUC/V's and MEN. No cry babies allowed. Stop playing the hard guy it is not the place for it.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct spelling and proper name usage helps every member on the site(especially when they use the search function).

A moderator's task is to help everyone use the site properly and keep the site as useful as possible for everyone.

Your inability to observe/help with this is counterproductive.

It's hard to believe this needs to be pointed out to an adult, and that an adult would have an issue with this.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow you are really getting desperate to correct people now. Next thing you know you will hold all my posts for moderation approval.
\
I don't think there's one person that is reading these posts that does not know what I am referring to when I type CUCV/V. So I will call it a CUC/V and you can call it a CUCV. Fair enough? Happy / Holidays has the same meaning as Happy Holidays. Peace on earth good will towards CUC/V's and MEN. No cry babies allowed. Stop playing the hard guy it is not the place for it.
Actually the next thing that will happen won't be moderation.

Looking at a data plate it is called CUCV so please use that when describing the vehicle. Earlier this year I went through hundreds of thread titles correcting Deuce spelling because it ruins search and other member's ability to find useful information.

Thank you

bwilson7990

Correct spelling and proper name usage helps every member on the site(especially when they use the search function).

A moderator's task is to help everyone use the site properly and keep the site as useful as possible for everyone.

Your inability to observe/help with this is counterproductive.

It's hard to believe this needs to be pointed out to an adult, and that an adult would have an issue with this.
This is what makes this forum so legitimate and 99.9% of users would agree. Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Keith_J

Should correct 'starter solenoid' to 'starter relay' where applicable too.
. To clarify, solenoid moves the drive pinion into mesh with the ring gear. Relays are just switches actuated by another circuit. In the CUCV, the starter relay uses 12 volt side to switch 24 volt into the solenoid, thereby isolating the 12 and 24 volt sides. This is done because the ignition switch is 12 volt.

Why not use a 12 volt relay on a 24 volt starter? Because the solenoid has two windings, one pull in and one hold. When the solenoid makes contact, voltage drop on the pull in winding would release contact. The hold winding overcomes this...unless the batteries are low, then you get solenoid buzzing. And now you know the rest of the story.

Keith_J

Just trying to clarify the complexity of the CUCV starter circuits...not my CUCV but my wife's son's..his Doghead relay accidentally shorted out on the 24 volt supply side and left him dead on the road some 200 miles from home and step dad's expertise. I managed to diagnose it over he phone and he got the fusible link replaced. Now we need to insulate all terminals once he is home for the holidays.

CUCVLOVER

Just trying to clarify the complexity of the CUCV starter circuits...not my CUCV but my wife's son's..his Doghead relay accidentally shorted out on the 24 volt supply side and left him dead on the road some 200 miles from home and step dad's expertise. I managed to diagnose it over he phone and he got the fusible link replaced. Now we need to insulate all terminals once he is home for the holidays.
I want trying to get on to you. You did you post some good information

chief1983

I did fix my sticking parking brake recently. Rebuilt the entire rear left drum this time, all with ACDelco hardware from RockAuto and Amazon. Wasn't too bad, I guess I've done enough drum brakes to be kind of getting the hang of it. Vise grips are so useful.

The parts to do this included:
RockAuto:
ACDELCO 18K41 Rear Driver Side Drum Brake Adjuster Kit $12.38
ACDELCO 18K42 Rear Passenger Side Drum Brake Adjuster Kit $12.38
ACDELCO 18E1034 (2) Rear Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder Assembly $4.57 each/$9.14 together
ACDELCO 18K560 Rear Drum Brake Shoe Adjuster and Return Spring Kit $5.81
$9.05 shipping
$48.76 total
Amazon:
ACDELCO 17473R Professional Durastop Riveted Rear Drum Brake Shoe Set $35.13
ACDELCO 18P418 Professional Durastop Front Parking Brake Cable Assembly $6.62
ACDELCO 18P422 Professional Durastop Rear Driver Side Parking Brake Cable Assembly $14.59
ACDELCO 18P423 Professional Durastop Rear Passenger Side Parking Brake Cable Assembly $15.93
$37.14 for the cable set
$72.27 from Amazon

$121.03 for basically everything new but the drums. Should stop the massive vibration I was getting from the seized up brake cable. Last time I got a 'brake hardware kit' from NAPA and it wasn't very complete, so I did some research and apparently the hardware kits are grouped differently. There is a small amount of overlap in the kits above, but only by a couple of small parts, and no other way to get this complete level of part coverage that I could see. The only other parts besides drums I could not easily find were the large metal piece that separates the shoes and the little metal studs that go into the cylinders. So I wire brushed the old studs clean with a Dremel and greased them slightly so they would install into the new dry rubber cylinder boots. I tended to use brake caliper grease on lots of places where metal moves against metal, just so things would keep moving for years to come hopefully.

Drock

Got new tires...New tires.jpg Flashlight mount...Flash light mount.jpg , And added a pair of folding steps to the sides of the rear bumper to make it easier to get into the bed when the tailgate is down..Fliding steps.jpg

gottaluvit

Greased the whole front end. Very happy everything is tight. Put a coat of flat black on the rims too. I am borrowing both rims and tires off my civy truck until I get around to balancing the humvee tires that came on it. They rode horribly!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks