• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Drock

Them steps are real nice! The flashlight holder could come in handy too. Part numbers and source possibly?
Bought them off ebay there just called folding step- hand grips $20.00, The flash light holder I also bought off ebay . Its from Maglite $10.00 Part# ASXX376...

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drock - I have the same Wranglers on my M1009. I'm very impressed with the tread wear and traction in wet and dry conditions. They also have a nice hum at 55+ MPH. Noticeable, but not obnoxious. :)

chief1983

Plaza Tire doesn't carry Goodyears, so I ended up going with the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 on some repainted wheels I bought from Hillbilly Wizard. They're pretty nice so far, and look great. The black rims really help the look of the truck, compared to the previous rust color.

tim292stro

• Added transmission fluid as is my routine (weekly) due to slow class 3 leak on the HP hard line ot the cooler.
  • Building a custom heavy duty headlight harness to install when I return to the OEM 24/12V system.

Last edited by a moderator:

CUCVLOVER

I went to unlock my pass door and this happened. So I pulled the door panel and dug around in the door and found the clip. Then I bent more curve in the ears on the clip to hold or pressure. I sprayed everything with wd 40 since I did not have a squirt can handy. Now the door latch works better and so does the window.

Attachments

gottaluvit

I took my leaky hydroboost off and now wait for said part. Dont anyone be intimidated by removing this. Very simple job.
Hydroboost came in yesterday. Installed it after changing the firewall mounting bracket and the master cylinder plunger from the old unit to the new one. That massive nut (that no normal tool fits) holding the firewall mounting bracket to the back of your old unit comes loose fairly easily with a few good raps of a hammer and chisel. Just be sure to reattach firmly to your new unit. The clip that holds the master cylinder plunger comes out with a little maneuvering. All the directions with an image for the plunger are with a rebuilt Cardone unit, as well as the new o-rings for the pressure lines. After following the included instructions on bleeding the air out mine was fine with no foam in the fluid. I still let it sit an hour though.

Then since I had some extra daylight, I removed two like-new inner fenders from an 86 civy Chevy truck, I have for parts, to put under the CUCV in due time.

RobM36A2

Went for a spin with a buddy, we rolled the windows down for mirror adjustment.
So far, so good.

We rolled them back up, mine went up perfect, the passenger window tilted slightly back and would not go up all the way without some manual assistance.
What can I do to fix this? For the funny guys: I will not keep that window rolled up..

Maybe some driving tomorrow, just to hear that massive diesel powered V8 rumble.

gottaluvit

Well, I got the left inner fender changed. Amazing I got some of them rusty bolts out. Only had to drill out one from snapping it. That and an extra hole for the oil cooler hose bracket. Used extra body bolts with new nuts and plenty grease to plug the extra holes from other stuff mounted on my civy gasser. I greased every bolt hole in body metal as well as every fastener. I cleaned every bolt and bolt hole with tap and die before applying grease and getting bolts fastened.

86M1009AJH

Just got time enough to properly repair the lead wires for the head lights. For some reason the previous owner or the public works had cut the regular as well as the hi beam wires just behind the antifreeze overflow tank. Until now I've had them duct taped together. Now to check into why the volt meter doest work.

chief1983

One of the relays under the dash by the starter relay can fail and stop the voltmeter, might check those. Right over the diagnostic port if you're not familiar with the starter relay.

86M1009AJH

Yes sir. Thank you chief1983. All last night, I have been reading posts on here about the issue. Out of all of the pages read, I have learned about three of the most common failure point. The first of which is the 10 amp fuse located in the bottom most spot on the fuse panel. Second is one of three relays tucked up above the steel panel on the bottom of the dash. From what I have been reading it is located almost directly above the ISE computer port or directly above the trans hump and/or 4x4 shifter. I have already had my starter relay replaced so that should help to narrow it down. The third check point is the 300 ohm resistor/reducer (?) that is bolted directly to the back of the volt meter itself. I have a bunch of fuses stashed away an emergency kit in the back of the truck so that I am not to worried about that. The relay I can just stop off at my local NAPA store for, again that I'm fine with. Last but not least, the 300 ohm reducer I would have to order online and I've already read of a few different websites to go to so that I am Not really worried about either. Thanks again for the help. Adam

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked on the door striker pins on the green machine today. I used ricks fuel line fix for worn pins. The doors shut a lot better now. Also they don't rattle when I hit a bump. Then I stuck that knife under the column. You never know when you need a knife.
Might I suggest a hammer also? If you go into water, frequently the truck will flip and put you on the bottom inverted. It takes a while for the truck to fill and allow you to open the doors. Note that you're head down, so you go under before the truck fills. If you have a hammer you can break glass and fill the truck and open the door before you drown....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks