• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Yes the bolts that enter the engine block/cylinder heads and all the brackets on the CUCV 6.2 Diesel are all metric with the exception of the bell housing bolts. The bell bolts to the rear of the block are all standard 3/8" then we move to the transmission and that is all mixed with metric and standard.
I wish we'd buy into the Metric plan over here in the U.S., it would sure make it easier on my tool inventory (and expense)!

Shoot, I remember as an elementary school kid all the talk there was then about making the transition (me and young Abe Lincoln used to discuss it all the time).

It's crazy to have two standards, especially when there are like only 2 other countries besides us still sticking to Imperial measurement. I mean it's something like us, Liberia, and some god-forsaken Pacific Island territory or something!

:shrugs:

tim292stro

You're forgetting how persistent Imperial is - still call it a Pint in the UK when you want a beer... Not a half liter.

Metric is used constantly in Engineering even here in the USA - decimal math is a lot easier than fractions.

Just got my M1009 back from a cooling system refresh, chasing a few new leaks from some components that were added - radiator seems to be seeping from the oil cooler connection, need to check that. Very happy truck now, but getting under it has shown the full inventory of things that'll need attention in the next 6-months.

Another Ahab

You're forgetting how persistent Imperial is - still call it a Pint in the UK when you want a beer... Not a half liter.
Don't even get me started on the British, I'm no big fan I'll tell you.

They're the ones who 'invented":

- Iraq, and

- Pakistan, and

- then Israel was the outcome of the British Balfour Declaration.

And you can see where all that has gotten us, right!? aua

Keep your pints, I'll take it in liters anyday!

thz71

Please update your tapatalk to upload images to the site instead of their hosting, otherwise it'll only show up as a link here.
Idk how to do that sorry
Lordy man, that set-up makes me nervous:

- Makes me want to see some of the other wheels chocked or pinned from rolling somehow. Yikes!
Both the rear wheels are on the ground and it's in park it's not going anywhere.

CUCVLOVER

Hey guys today is a day of joy for me. I finally got the green machine back in action. I had the injection pump rebuilt after it failed. I had diesel performance in Memphis Tennessee do the rebuild. They did a great job on the pump. They even cleaned up the outside and painted it.
I painted the air cleaner box, and the intake. I cleaned the CDR and the oil cap.
I used some od green I had on the intake, its not a 383 carc but it will work. The black on the air cleaner box is flat black engine paint. I did have to set the idle but other than it taking a bit to get it primed back up it was not that hard of a job.

I did have to mount the pump twice though. I made the mistake of getting the line up pin in a bolt hole. Lol

Also I want to give a special thank you to Rick for his help.

Attachments

cucvrus

p04_17703065yourwelcome..jpgYour Welcome. Don't forget to put an air filter housing gasket on the filter housing to intake. Felpro # 60555. That will seal the deal on that new pump and intake.
And thank you for the sheep.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove around in the Olympics today.

Stopped on the way home to pick up a craigslist score. New in the box NOS repro dash pad from Classic Car Parts. Guy had it in his attic and put it on CL for $150 so I snapped it up. Now I have to decide whether to leave it black or paint it to match the interior.

Jan2016.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Replaced both alternator belts, as one tried to make an escape the other day and took out the other one with it. Got the batteries charging now.

cucvrus

They were conspirators. They always work like that. It is always the Gen 1 that is the instigator when you have the resistors bypassed IMHO. I do not have this issue when the resistors are wired as designed. Seem more even charging this way. Your experience and results may vary.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It was simply a belt that had exceeded it's service life. I was at the end of adjustment on it before it snapped. (Which was the day before)

Luckily the belts were only like $14 total from advanced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks