• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

BAD BAD. Belts can be a real chore on these. I drive the truck to the parts store and walk in and out with belts till I get one that the belt is the shortest possible belt to fit. I actually change them out in the parking lot. And believe it or not that correct size varies from vehicle to vehicle. I changed my alternator pulleys to solid steel ones in lieu of the stamped ones. The stamped ones get hot quicker if the belt squeals and thus wear the belt quicker. I also seen the pulleys pitted with rust on the stamped ones and then leave a rough surface and wear belts down. If they squeal they are going to wear fast. If you can stop the squeal I have experienced extended belt life. That has been my experience. I used to buy the GM belts when they were available. And I also run a wider belt on the Gen 1 side. That helps also.Thanks for the reply.

tonkasal

Not to rain on your parade. The 3/8" bolts are NOT correct. The bolts you need are METRIC M10 X 1.5 pitch. You are being tricked into thinking you have the right bolts. They may get tight but they are not really tight. They are not properly meshed in the threads. Change it NOW to avoid further damage. I seen this on CUCV starter bolts before. They fit but a so close they jam in the threads. Just trying to HELP YOU. Metric is what you need. M10 X 1.5.
Thanks cucvrus, I'll get em swapped out with the M10's, I just figured since all the chevy/gm's usually have the standard 3/8's bolts for starters and alts.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew - Please keep an eye on your new belts. Advanced Auto only sells Dayco. Dayco belts stretch out within 1,000 miles and keep stretching. I've run the tensioners to the max on every pulley because of Daycos, and they still slip. I ONLY buy Gates. They're cheapest on Amazon.

I had new sneakers put on the M1009, and hosed out the cab. I have been driving The M1009 regularly lately while I service my Dodge Dually .
I can happily report since I installed the 6.5 turbo engine, the fuel mileage is great. It averages 19mpg on my daily commute (mixed city/ highway).
If I am easy on the skinny pedal, it has returned a best of 30mpg, with a worst of 10mpg when I was first started driving it with the 6.5 engine.
engine_600x450.jpgLH side_600x450.jpg

rsh4364

I had new sneakers put on the M1009, and hosed out the cab. I have been driving The M1009 regularly lately while I service my Dodge Dually .
I can happily report since I installed the 6.5 turbo engine, the fuel mileage is great. It averages 19mpg on my daily commute (mixed city/ highway).
If I am easy on the skinny pedal, it has returned a best of 30mpg, with a worst of 10mpg when I was first started driving 30 mpg would be great,can you list your gear ratio,transmission, and tire size?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drew - Please keep an eye on your new belts. Advanced Auto only sells Dayco. Dayco belts stretch out within 1,000 miles and keep stretching. I've run the tensioners to the max on every pulley because of Daycos, and they still slip. I ONLY buy Gates. They're cheapest on Amazon.
These were some other brand. Not a top quality gates or anything. So my expectations were low to start with. But yeah, Dayco is what snapped before.

CUCVLOVER

These were some other brand. Not a top quality gates or anything. So my expectations were low to start with. But yeah, Dayco is what snapped before.
I run gates from Napa. The truck had some mix matched no name belts that would never stay tight. The gates have not stretched much if any and I have run the truck several miles but also several hrs of idle time.

I bought a new driver side mirror glass and glue the other day. The glass fell off when shut the door but didn't brake but its all scratched up so I got a new one. Now I just need warm temps to glue on the new one

cucvrus

Are you using that 2 way tape they send with the glass? Forget that. Use a urethane adhesive. And use shrink wrap and then tape. Duct tape is your style to hold it on a few days in the direct sun even in cold weather will cure the adhesive. Remove the shrink wrap and put it back on your tailpipe as the hanger. You should be good to go till you find a metal wire coat hanger for the tail pipe hanger. Save shrink wrap for missing wing vent. Repeat.

CUCVLOVER

Are you using that 2 way tape they send with the glass? Forget that. Use a urethane adhesive. And use shrink wrap and then tape. Duct tape is your style to hold it on a few days in the direct sun even in cold weather will cure the adhesive. Remove the shrink wrap and put it back on your tailpipe as the hanger. You should be good to go till you find a metal wire coat hanger for the tail pipe hanger. Save shrink wrap for missing wing vent. Repeat.
I have some contact cement I think. I don't remember 109%. I think it's supposed to be warm like Sunday I will try then to mount it.
I did cover my vent window hole in duck tape once when I broke it trying to close it when it was 5f outside.
Also I usually use welding wire for exhaust hangers. Lol. I actually did use that to hold up my pipes when I used a sawzall to chop the mufflers off once. I wanted know what it would sound like straight piped so I cut them off. Now I have a full straight piped exhaust.

If I am easy on the skinny pedal, it has returned a best of 30mpg, with a worst of 10mpg when I was first started driving it.

"30 mpg would be great,can you list your gear ratio,transmission, and tire size?"
rsh4364,

Other than the engine. The drive train is stock. Tires are Goodyear 31 x 10.5 R15-LT. I am Running 40 PSI air pressure in them. I am very religious about keeping track of fuel mileage. A sudden decrease in mileage can usually be attributed to driving habits, Or are signs of mechanical problems.

thz71

The place called and the driveshaft is done so I'll pick that up Tuesday morning after work. Got my winch all wired and and ready to go. I decided to go with 30ft 2 ga. Welding cable leads with clamps at the end so I can use it on any of my trucks instead of having to hard wire each and every one. the cables the winch came with were too small for that length so I drilled out the housing and went with 2 ga. there also. Before on the left and after on the right
the quick connector
30 ft leads

UNIMOG-GUY

After standing in the cold for an hour because for some reason my garage won't fit a snow plow and a fullsize truck and allow you to shut the door. I replaced my blower fan motor after it started making a awful noise. Which while plowing snow today couldn't have come at a worse time. It sounded like the squirrel cage was hitting something as it spun. I removed the old blower and checked the hole for obstructions. I then manually spun the squirrel cage and it started to make the same noise so I assume a bearing was going out. A tip for those of you who might swap out a blower motor... When removing the 7mm sheet metal screws that hold the blower motor in put a long reach magnet against the screw or a magnetic nut driver. The difference in the before and after is huge. At one point the motor stopped working completely and luckily I was doing 45mph which allowed enough heat to flow thru the defrost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks