• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

corvette9

Drill a 1/8th hole in the end of the blower motor where the bearing is and oil it. The motor will last much longer. Works very well even if it's just temp.to get you through a storm without having to stop and change it.

cucvrus

In today's world these repairs and leave well enough alone are unheard of. The old guys like you and I are far a few between. Most people are just parts replacers and at best second guess everything and redesign it. Good call. I had the squealing heater motor blues already. I do like a good screamer but it does get annoying in the cab. Also can let out an unannounced scream and scare the pants off you. Still snowing here at my place.

rsh4364

Today the 86 1009 got new belts and fixed minor coolant leak.Also checked voltage on batts.rear at 13v,front 12.9v.Batteries carry more volts since solargizer install.They used to hold at 12.6-12.8 V.

Last edited:

KoneZone

My CUCV went through a lot of hard times this year (IP, motor, trans, radiator, everything literally at once). I love my truck so much but the work was way more than I could handle, so I was kind of lost. I ended up calling Those Military Guys in Rancho on the advice of a buddy and had them put the pieces back together. I'm a touring musician so it was great timing to hand it over to them while I was on the road this past Fall. Anyway, I wanted to share the work in case anyone was curious. Bottom line, I'm super happy to have my CUCV back after a bad year of problems! I also had/did some work done on the interior, prior to all this work, that I'll share as well.
The front seats were upholstered in heavy duty canvas I found at the surplus store that was used for stretchers, or possibly cots. Not entirely sure which. The back seat I made myself out of a surplus pup tent and an old horse tapestry I had lying around.
Those Military Guys replaced the motor and transmission with a surplus 6.2. In addition they did all the body work with Mar-Glass and then painted it with CARC in the original camo pattern.
I threw in one photo of it before all the work. The paint and body were in really rough shape, I was really happy to get that taken care of.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Those Military Guys replaced the motor and transmission with a surplus 6.2. In addition they did all the body work with Mar-Glass and then painted it with CARC in the original camo pattern.
I threw in one photo of it before all the work. The paint and body were in really rough shape, I was really happy to get that taken care of.
You really "done it up good"; the CUCV looks great:

- I don't know the stuff, what is Mar-Glass?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I just had to replace all 3 belts on my M1009. One busted and figured I might as well get them all replaced at the same time. Since I've just had shoulder replacement surgery I was not able to do it myself. $180 for belts and labor. :(

Another Ahab

Well I just had to replace all 3 belts on my M1009. One busted and figured I might as well get them all replaced at the same time. Since I've just had shoulder replacement surgery I was not able to do it myself. $180 for belts and labor. :(
It stings, but you should be good on the belts now for, what:

- 2-3 years and another 50,000 miles (+/-)

That makes the pro rata cost seem pretty fair, do you think?

(Plus it saves you all the knuckle busting you know was in that work, and that's maybe worth at least a few bucks, too).

Maybe you got off pretty fair, considering.

ltcray

I did an improvement on my belated (and beloved) M1008: I replaced the crank-PS-driver alt belt with a short PS-driver alt belt. It eliminated the PS belt squeal, especially in wet weather. I don't remember the length, but it was pretty short. It also cuts one direction (and half) of force to the overhung load to the PS pulley and bearing.

Last edited:

thz71

Got my driveshaft In

Exhaust bolted up to the new headers. They're alot different the exhaust works for now but it'll have to be redone.
Cut up a tahoe hitch for my front reciever mount.
removed this for room
where it's going

cucvrus

DSCF6270.jpgI dug out a core pump for return to Diesel Care Memphis TN for rebuilding. DSCF6271.jpgAll Boxed up nice and pretty. DSCF6272.jpg This is one of many that I had rebuilt by diesel care and at $275. picked up at my door and returned to me that is a great deal. I have several rebuilt pumps from Diesel Care on units and run them hard without failure. I just put this pump on the engine in April 2015 and it was a new HMMWV pump. I hated the knocking sound / advanced timing since day one. It had internal issues IMHO. I wheeled it several times and ran thru a lot of snow but 8 months 5K miles is a bit ridiculous. Best thing was it was surplus freebie. The Crown of Thorns is getting a Valentines Day gift from me. Ain't that special? Have a great day. I checked my filter and it was clean as a new one. I did give thought to my burning the contaminated fuel. But I double filter it and have a water separator on the pump. So I ruled that out. And the MULE uses more fuel and gets driven more and I have had no issues with it. Also my logsplitter is diesel and I run that in it also with no issues.

cucvrus

DSCF6277.jpgDSCF6278.jpgDSCF6279.jpgGood Mule. Survived the storm without a broken part. Only problem I had was frozen wiper arms several times. No problem with that. Most useful wheel barrow I ever owned.

richingalveston

driving the truck

I have finally been able to drive the truck. I had to put my DD in the shop for some warranty work and declined to get the loaner so I could drive the 1009. I have been from Galveston to college station and now from college station to east of Dallas around the canton I-20 area.
The truck has been perfect. no issues. It has been sitting for a while and I have forgotten how fun it is to drive.
Performance wise it is still shifting hard but runs great.
4th gear stats:
1500 rpm - 55mph-
1800 rpm - 65mph
2000 rpm - 71 mph
2200 rpm - 75 mph

It runs best between 65 and 70 very little tire vibration. does not have to unlock TC on minor hills. Ran it up to 84mph on a down hill section and it is only a little scary when bumpy. If the road is smooth the truck has no problem. just cant maintain that kind of speed.

just have to get used to no sway bars. The truck rocks side to side but still drives strait.

got it stuck checking on my cows. driving through a wash out while trying to cross the creek while it was still to wet.
There is just no bottom when the ground is wet in this area.

I had to get the back hoe out and do a little digging to get it out. tomorrow I will fix the wash.

I will be headed back to college station on Tuesday and then to Galveston at the end of the week so I got quite a few more miles to put on it. It is really not a bad ride on the highway.
Anyone who believes in keeping a CUCV stock should not drive my truck. They will change their mind.

Attachments

NovacaineFix

Well, let's see.

I love it when you work on your truck and you suddenly realize that the last person who worked on it, before you, was a complete idiot. I'll explain later.

I went on a Death Valley trip a couple of weekends ago, real fun. Quite a bit bumpy and dusty, but real fun. Anyway, after all the many, many and many more washboard roads that we drove on, the truck started making some rattling noises that weren't there before.
I had some minor issues that crept up during the desert trip, but nothing that kept the "Green Bomber" from running.

Some loose bolts from all the shaking from the roads, a couple of seeping axle seals a ruptured heater core (the one I just replaced 2 weeks ago) a weird issue with my headlights, still got to look at that. They keep intermittently flash off and on at random times, I think I may have a rubbed wire that is occasionally shorting out or something.

Anyway, the truck is running fine.

I was replacing my rear brakes the other day after finding out that there was a decent sized crack in the shoe lining on all 4 shoes, probably fro all the light braking in the desert. This is where I realized that the last guy who worked on my truck was an idiot.
While replacing the brakes, I kept swearing that I had replaced the shoes not that long ago. My hands were dirty and I wanted to finish, so I didn't go in to try to find the records of when I did them last. Then it dawned on me, that I never have done the rear brakes on this truck, I had looked at them briefly and they were fine with the exception of a couple of leaky wheel cylinders. I had replaced the wheel cylinders without replacing the shoes.

When I was sizing the shoes up, I thought that it was strange that both the shoe linings were the same length, I figured, hey maybe it's just the brand. But I always remembered that in most trucks with drums, that one shoe lining is typically longer than the other. Well they are!
The idiot that worked on my truck before, installed both long shoes on the driver's side drum and both short shoes on the passenger side drum.
That problem has now been resolved.

Now the heater core. I thought from all the bouncing, the heater core, which is brand new by a couple of weeks, must have come loose and rubbed through something because it was leaking. Well I got the darn thing off and nope, it's completely fine, no rub marks at all. It was a crappy bad seam seal that burst.

20160129_184803.jpg20160129_184813.jpg

So I look forward to getting a new heater core tomorrow and getting that part put back together.

Next week:

Axle seals, Ohhhh I can't wait.:shrugs:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks