• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

ltcray

Good save on the power steering pump bracket. At this point it would be wise to all. You will need to fix that broken bracket. they are not getting any easier to find. They are out of the system unless someone has a secret stash somewhere. I thought of asking to get some power steering pump brackets made up at a fabrication shop. But I don't need any and the set up cost on a few would be a killer. I don't feel making them would be a problem. But making a few gets expensive. Good fix. good Luck. I hope you have both the brackets in place on the bottom of the pump. That relieves a lot of that tension.
I just realized I did't properly reply to your answer earlier. Sounds like I put an advertisement in the wrong section. After this, I'll go back and delete the original.

PS brackets are definitely getting scarce- especially if they're in one piece and functional. After fixing three of my own over the years, I'm seeing ways to beef up the M1008-M1009 PS bracket to minimize the usual fractures. I'd be willing to try the ideas on somebody's broken (and hard to replace) part. This is something I get called on at work to do regularly- determine failure mode, redesign to minimize or eliminate the problem, and document the result. I have a TIG welder and small machine shop at my house, always fixing or tweaking something. Send me an e-mail: bgft@charter.net

Last edited:

gottaluvit

I put new kingpin bushings and springs in. I also used the 1/8" washer in as True Knight had mentioned since I am using 37" humvee tires. It indeed works. No death wobble up to my new top speed of 60 mph in the CUCV. The tires need balanced however. Just another step toward a smoother ride.

One of the bushings I removed wasn't installed properly. The slot and high spot in the bushing were off and the bushing was moving. Might have been the problem, or part of it.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Went for a drive with a buddy in the rain.
Just some driving, fill up with cheaper diesel in Belgium and a viewing day for an auction.
We also went to view a '65 Cadillac, for myself, to cruise around in, but had a bad feeling about it, so left it where it was.
On the way back did a couple of dirt roads, having fun and driving slow tru the puddles, some were deeper than my axles :driver:
After dropping of my buddy, another called me for help. So towed a shoebox VW Polo to his home, in the dark. The lightbar came in very handy.

cucvrus

Smoother but never smooth. Smooth and CUCV are not to be used in the same sentence. They are a oxymoron. Same as a long quiet ride in a CUCV is never going to happen. I love my CUCV's but still like long trip travel in other vehicles much better. As do my passengers and family members. As I get older I find a place and use for each vehicle and tool I own. Yesterday the M1009 was infallible in the deep snow in the pasture. I cut and hauled out several loads of wood and drug the wood splitter in and out of the field without any problems. Cleaned the Rausch Creek mud from the under carriage real nice. That old Terminus M1009 has impressed me. It starts on the first crank every time. I never touched a thing on the starting system.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Installed a new set of 60 glow plugs in the CUCV yesterday. The cheapo allied or whatever the parts store had wasn't working anymore. Didn't even test them, just into the trash they go!

TexAndy

Just did pawnshop's spin-on filter mod. We'll see if it starts up on the first try tomorrow.

Yep, that fixed it. Started up on the first try, with gusto.

Last edited:

mikey

Last week I swapped out the driver side alternator. Funny thing is I got an itch to do this at 8pm and 12f with a wind chill of about zero. I need a heated garage!

I have two rebuild kits on the way and I'll rebuild the passenger side and the one I took out and use that as a spare. I installed the non isolated alternator on the driver side, Autozone DL7157. A great solution for the drivers side for only $90.

I also replaced both alternator belts. Continental Elite V-belts 15491 and 15581.

Today I also did the first oil change. RotellaT 15/40 and a Puralator L34631 filter.

I must say, of all the MV's I own the M1009 is definitely one of my favorites. I think only the M38a1 beats it out.

12593459_10205656861089696_2161729325591908670_o.jpg12605303_10205656860809689_8611602427240259602_o.jpg12615144_10205656860729687_4406187912934906287_o.jpg12622113_10205656860889691_7765112106575720991_o.jpg

Mikey

True Knight

I put new kingpin bushings and springs in. I also used the 1/8" washer in as True Knight had mentioned since I am using 37" humvee tires. It indeed works. No death wobble up to my new top speed of 60 mph in the CUCV. The tires need balanced however. Just another step toward a smoother ride.

One of the bushings I removed wasn't installed properly. The slot and high spot in the bushing were off and the bushing was moving. Might have been the problem, or part of it.
Yay!!! Glad it worked out!
:driver:

Balancing those big ol 37's can be difficult for some shops/the workers at some shops. Ha ha.

Another Ahab

Looked good in the pictures, bad in real life. left it standing as the owner wasn't home and got a weird vibe from the car..
1965 fleetwood by the way.
That's when cars were CARS, instead of just boxes; sweet.

Thanks for the drift, and now back to the regularly scheduled programming:

car.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks