• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

the skull

Day 2 update, work all done, now it doesn't start. No click,
nothing. It did this once or twice, I believe there is a bad
connection somewhere. At least I'm not 30 miles from home,
test light and battery charger for tomorrow.

Another Ahab

Day 2 update, work all done, now it doesn't start. No click,
nothing.
It did this once or twice, I believe there is a bad
connection somewhere. At least I'm not 30 miles from home,
test light and battery charger for tomorrow.
That's no fun. You buy a truck, you expect it to start and run; a bummer.

gottaluvit

To clarify, it does everything it should except crank. I'm cleaning
connections tomorrow, might bypass some fusible links too.
We will see.
Maybe the heavy wire going to the starter. I've had a few gassers that after a little pull on the cable it'd start. I'm just not the most ambitious mechanic in the cold. Some things must wait til a break in the weather.

Got my 1008's new tow companion a mere 50' parked away from it. Gonna hook 'em together and bring them the 7 mile trek home tomorrow. I just love the surge brakes.

the skull

Day 3 turned out not much better. I cleaned lots of connections.
Eliminated a bunch of Fire Dept wiring, also a live 24v wire that
was just taped on the end, just hanging out under the dash. Cranked
after cycling the key several times, ran and warmed up, seemed ok.
Fixed a leaky radiator hose clamp, ran awhile, drove home, shut off,
now no crank again. I also put some new ends on the battery cables,
I have been meaning to do that since I got it. All things that needed
doing anyway. It can sit where it's at for a while.

gottaluvit

Day 3 turned out not much better. I cleaned lots of connections.
Eliminated a bunch of Fire Dept wiring, also a live 24v wire that
was just taped on the end, just hanging out under the dash. Cranked
after cycling the key several times, ran and warmed up, seemed ok.
Fixed a leaky radiator hose clamp, ran awhile, drove home, shut off,
now no crank again. I also put some new ends on the battery cables,
I have been meaning to do that since I got it. All things that needed
doing anyway. It can sit where it's at for a while.
I feel your frustration. Been there. A rap on the starter with a two to four pound hammer, but not too hard, MAY expose internal starter issues. I had a truck once where I carried a mini sledge for months for that purpose. I have taken Chevy and VW starters apart and cleaned everything inside, put back together, and never had a problem with it's starter again. One time I had a loose, but not all that loose, starter that was having ground issues too.

Worse case scenerio is time for new starter. If you get to that point, once you have the starter out, test it with jumper cables before just putting a new one in.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I am going to say starter needs to be pulled off and rebuilt. Also check the starter and make sure it is a 24 volt starter. I bought more then 1 of these CUCV's with a 12 volts starter on it that was in civilian service and turned back in for being unreliable. Also a good time to make sure it has metric starter bolts and the support bracket is in place on the starter. God Luck. I hope that is helpful to you.

cpf240

How about testing the voltage at the starter solenoid when the key is turned to crank and the starter doesn't move? That would eliminate a lot of guess work and shotgun parts replacement...

the skull

How about testing the voltage at the starter solenoid when the key is turned to crank and the starter doesn't move? That would eliminate a lot of guess work and shotgun parts replacement...
I'm going to. I spent 3 days working on it, I just have to wait for my next day off
to be able to do anything with it. I haven't done anything on this truck yet that wasn't
neglected or ignored by a previous owner.

Apparently, these trucks seem to be really good places to hide money your
wife doesn't know anything about.

reaper556

Removed the glow plug resistor on my 1028 today. She starts so much better than before. Used to take about 2 or 3 seconds or a few revolutions of the engine to start, now after giving her a 5 second glow ( I think my WTS light is burned out) she fires up as soon as I hit the key.

Next step is to replace the glow plugs

AECS

Urethane bushings and new shocks all around for the 1009. Rides great! but did notice that all the tie rod ends were shot too... Rock auto parts on the way.

RobM36A2

Again, did absolutely nothing, but run around town for a bit.
Oh, and to add a little drift, I did take the M1028 to view a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale.
I did get a compliment from the sales-person about the nice looking truck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks