• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

mikey

Saturday I got an alignment done at Jack Williams. Well worth the $83. The toe was so far off that it didn't register on the machine. The steering wheel was cocked at a 45 degree angle. The difference with the alignment done is like night and day.

They said they could not do camber or caster because they could not put shims on the solid ball joints, but supposedly the caster and camber were nothing to worry about.

camber:
lf 0.8 rf 0.5

caster:
lf 6.7 rf 6.4

toe before:
lf xx rf -0.26

toe after:
lf 0.00 rf -0.02

Steer ahead:
before 0.43
after 0.01

Mikey

tim292stro

Caster is done with shimming the leaf spring mount to the axle (rolling the axle forwards or backwards).

Camber should be more or less set right from the factory - if it's off, you might have a bent axle tube. The only way I know of to fix that after the ends are welded onto the axle, is to use a torch and shrink the tube on the top or bottom to pull it in with heating/cooling cycles. There are probably kits for camber correction too - given how common suspension alignment is even in the 4x4 world...

86m1028

Caster is done with shimming the leaf spring mount to the axle (rolling the axle forwards or backwards).

Camber should be more or less set right from the factory - if it's off, you might have a bent axle tube. The only way I know of to fix that after the ends are welded onto the axle, is to use a torch and shrink the tube on the top or bottom to pull it in with heating/cooling cycles. There are probably kits for camber correction too - given how common suspension alignment is even in the 4x4 world...

They do make adjustable lower king pins.
Matter of fact, a couple of the m1008's & m1028's that I've bought over the years had them installed from the military.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Did you buy the car? Pics?
Did not buy the car, some things to worry about, like loose rubbers where the windows meet at the passenger side.
Have some concerns, because I can't put it inside or under a cover. and some work needed to make it a comfortable cruiser.
Axle joints need replacing, exhaust modified, stuff like that. It runs on propane, that is very positive, because gas prices are high.
Link to the car: http://link.marktplaats.nl/m1017411876

cucvrus

I hope that you did put new ball joints in the M1009 before the alignment. Every M1009 I have been working on in the past couple years the ball joints are just full of rust and no lubricant. They seem tight when you check them . They are dirty dusty dry inside. The nylon is torn and worn in these at 30 + years old Just a thought and they are less then $100 for all 4 new lifetime greaseable ball joints. Have a great day. Stay warm and the snow is coming again. And me with a plow truck and no front drive shaft. I will have the 3200 lb salt bag option in the back.

mikey

I hope that you did put new ball joints in the M1009 before the alignment. Every M1009 I have been working on in the past couple years the ball joints are just full of rust and no lubricant. They seem tight when you check them . They are dirty dusty dry inside. The nylon is torn and worn in these at 30 + years old Just a thought and they are less then $100 for all 4 new lifetime greaseable ball joints. Have a great day. Stay warm and the snow is coming again. And me with a plow truck and no front drive shaft. I will have the 3200 lb salt bag option in the back.
I know this thread is "what have you done to your cucv", not what has your mechanic done lol. I just got the M1009 a month ago today. I was going to tear down and inspect the front end, among other things, in the spring when it got warm. But the alignment being so far off was annoying. That being said, I'll inspect it myself in the spring, BUT I did ask the tech's to give me an idea of how things looked when they were under there and they specifically said the ball joints looked good. I'll check in the spring as I don't have a heated garage and I do have an allergy to ice cold tools in the chilly NEPA weather.

Mikey

Another Ahab

I know this thread is "what have you done to your cucv", not what has your mechanic done lol.
I think maybe it ALL counts:

- If your mercenary army defeats another army...

The defeated are defeated regardless whether your people actually did all the "work" or not. It's ALL good.

Unless of course you are the defeated (in which case, well, you know; it's mostly all BAD).

Siege-alesia-vercingetorix-jules-cesar.jpg

Last edited:

the skull

I did check out the operation on the truck today, when its cold, no problem,
warm no crank. If I can get a helper tomorrow, I will go deeper. As a side
note, I installed the GM block heater last week, super easy, follow directions.
I got mine for $44, I got the dealership hookup.

jpg

Changed a tire in 6" of fresh snow, while wearing office attire. Truck started pulling to the right, so I pulled over to take a look and sure enough... Tire was toast.

Added a change of clothing to the stuff that lives in the truck. Thinking about adding some plywood to support the jack on soft ground, and maybe some cribbing.

richingalveston

My cv joint on my rear drive shaft gave out on me today. I got to use the front wheel drive option on the t-case. I did not have any tools to remove the rear shaft so I used front wheel drive only to take the load off of it and was able to do about 50 mph all the way home.
I did remove it and take it for a test drive without the rear shaft. Drives great.
I will drop of the shaft on Thursday to get it rebuilt. It was salvaged from a 1008 parts truck. I had the length changed but did not spend the money on getting the cv joint rebuilt. It made it about 1500 miles before it quit.

86k5

When i was taking that out my cd player. Something metal and metal touched. Snap crackled popped and now the dang thing wont start. Checked all fuses they are all good.
Any suggestions?
Also. No read on the volt meter and gen (closest to column) is not lighting up now either.
Suggestions....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks