• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

NovacaineFix

Yes. There is no park lock interlock system on these CUCV trucks. Unless you have steering column issues. You should be able to start it and shift it to any gear.

Was going to say the same as CUCVRUS, the interlock steering wheels came out much later, around '94 or so, so the only CUCV that may have that would be the CUCV II's. Sounds like you may have a linkage or column issue.

With extreme safety, disconnect the linkage pin from the column on the engine side , right under the master cylinder, see if the column will shift when that is disconnected. That is the halfway point, so if the column still does not shift, then your issue is in the column, lockplate and so on. If it does shift, then your issue is with the transmission linkage.
I say extreme safety, because you may have to look under the truck to see what's going on with the linkage and may have to manually shift it. Someone will have to be in the truck that you trust so that the truck doesn't run you over.

Everything else I assume works? the key turns smoothly and so on?

Last edited:

riggermedic

Tiny tach, dog head relay, rear white light/ accessory back up lights, spin on fuel filter, 1/0 gauge 12 volt cables to the radio bus

Last edited:

cucvrus

Removed the injection pump from my M1009 Crown of Thorns. Oh no the pictures will not up load. Oh well see ya later. I hope to get the rebuilt injection pump on tomorrow if the weather holds out. I towed the M1009 from the field to my barn with my Honda lawn tractor.
My Crown of thorns M1009 project did not go ahead as planned yesterday. I had a bit of weather problems (Rain) and was side tracked a bit selling some M1010 parts to a member that stopped by. All is well. Gave me the incentive to get my paint out and repaint some things on the engine while and before I reassemble it. I don't know why. I will just splash it thru a big mud hole next week again. But I will still stay the course fast on track and do the best job I can. It will be nice a pretty. Can't load any pictures. Maybe next time. I am loading them on Facebook. Take care and good luck with your current and up coming projects. The barn at my place is becoming a be hive of activity since spring is approaching. Oh and the brush guard extension was useful as a place to lay while I worked on the engine. I have a few other ideas for that area now that I used it in this manner.

Another Ahab

Just towed a friend home with the CUCV. Some steeper hills was a little muddy, so I recorded a piece of the steepest one, in 4-low feathering the throttle.
gottaluvit, I want you to know, I love you, Buddy:

- But maybe that video clip is not going to win you your first Oscar, not yet.

I can't be sure of course; because it might be a sleeper, we'll have to wait to hear for the list of nominees:

Best_picture_nominees_0_723631_ver1.0.jpg

gottaluvit

gottaluvit, I want you to know, I love you, Buddy:

- But maybe that video clip is not going to win you your first Oscar, not yet.

I can't be sure of course; because it might be a sleeper, we'll have to wait to hear for the list of nominees:

View attachment 609848
That's good stuff! Low light, keys rattling; it's all part of the "effect". The 6.2 was purring however. I worked it good today too. Picked up 1800 lbs. of concrete. The suspension barely dropped. Had the rollin' coal on a couple of hills.

Another Ahab

That's good stuff! Low light, keys rattling; it's all part of the "effect". The 6.2 was purring however. I worked it good today too. Picked up 1800 lbs. of concrete. The suspension barely dropped. Had the rollin' coal on a couple of hills.
You must have studied under Hitchcock; excellent!

You're planning a sequel, right!?

oscar.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Thanks for the reply, yeah everything else works, and you can shift it with the engine not running and the key in the position between off and run. Shift it to neutral, start it and drive off.

This is a 88 or 89 factory 12 volt truck though.
Thanks

cucvrus

This is a 88 or 89 factory 12 volt truck though.

If its an 88/89 12 volt truck it is not a CUCV. That could have the same column if it is the older square body style. The newer V/R bodies were also built during the same time period. Similar column. Strange problem and hard to diagnose from afar.

cucvrus

CUCV M1008 Fan Clutch

I have been getting a flickering light while driving interstate with the plow attached. i checked the coolant level and it is good. I bought a new fan clutch and installed it. I did not hear the roaring sound of the fan when the temperature light was flickering. Usually when I have a CUCV and am towing up steep grades I can hear and feel the fan clutch engage and make the fan work harder. The fan clutch I removed seemed very tight to turn in comparison to the new fan clutch. The hub was tight with very little if any side play. It was $35. replacement part and worth the effort a 10 minute job to change. And while there I changed both alternator belts. This is on Big Red the plow truck and they had a few teeth missing. The 12 volt left side alternator belt squealed like a Banshee. Time to change it out. I am going to put some green belts on it sometime and give them a try. This truck eats belts with all the jump starting and plowing I do with it. Have a great day.

the skull

So I got the truck to start today, turns out that I really am my own worst enemy.
When I did the Doghead relay, seems that the crimp on terminals I used on the
control side of the wiring, (the small wires), were incorrectly crimped and were
making intermittent connections. Strange, because it worked fine for 2 years.
Anyway, it cranks now. And it runs. Now off to the Zone for a drivers side alternator,
apparently I smoked it somewhere along the way.aua
Actually it is originally alt 2, which has never worked right since I got the truck.

gottaluvit

So I got the truck to start today, turns out that I really am my own worst enemy.
When I did the Doghead relay, seems that the crimp on terminals I used on the
control side of the wiring, (the small wires), were incorrectly crimped and were
making intermittent connections. Strange, because it worked fine for 2 years.
Anyway, it cranks now. And it runs. Now off to the Zone for a drivers side alternator,
apparently I smoked it somewhere along the way.aua
Actually it is originally alt 2, which has never worked right since I got the truck.
Good deal. Good to hear.

NovacaineFix

Good deal. Good to hear.
Yeah you gotta watch those crimp on connectors. Not saying they are bad, I use them as well, but I have found that sometimes you'll get a good solid connection and it will somehow someway work itself loose over time.
What I started doing if I find myself using them, and I still do, is install the crimp connector as usual, then solder the wire to the connector. If you remember, add some heat shrink to make it look more professional and give it some weatherproofing at the same time.
I just did this to my rear blackout lights forgetting that I just ordered some Delphi weather-pak connectors for just that reason,
Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 8.12.07 PM.png
http://www.homerdoh.com/

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I almost always forget to use the heat shrink tube. I wrap high quality electrical tape around the connector instead.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my new 'cruise control' recently. It was very inexpensive. I bought it at a Play It Again Sports for $3.20 including tax. I press the softball bat against the throttle, and wedge my right elbow against the seat. Adjusting my speed is simple - I move my hand up and down. Moving my hand down puts more pressure on the throttle. It's also very easy to disengage. The best part about my 'cruise control' is that it doubles as a self-defense weapon. :mrgreen:

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to the cr@p tape that Harbor Freight sells. I can't stand that tape. I like the 3M Professional Grade line. The Temflex is great stuff as well.

Is there a low quality electrical tape? I have 3M Temflex 1700 that is made in China/Mexico. Is that high quality? Peace man just funning with you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks