• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

gottaluvit

Just got mine unstuck! It was only sinking an inch or two but it was so wet on top, it only spun. Then the locker in the rear messed me up more by making the rear-end kick out on a slope, sliding into a fence. No damage ensued, as I shut it down immediately and hoofed it. Took my 5 ton out yesterday morning and pulled it away from the fence but couldn't pull it all the way out, as it nearly got stuck twice, itself. The top inch or so of the ground froze last night, letting me just drive the CUCV out. Sorry, no pictures as the site currently is not letting me upload. Same phone, camera, network provider.

rsh4364

Do you expect any kind of power increase?
Not really sure. I am trying to eliminate an occasional loud diesel knock. I currently have to run 2 quarts of transmission fluid in my fuel at fill up.Started out with 1qt,then I had to use 2qts,now it wants 3qts so it's time to change.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Are you 100% positive that you do not have a cracked muffler on one side. My plow truck has a loud knock and it has a crack in the top of the muffler and that is where the sound is coming from. The nozzle knock is a distinct sound and I have added ATF to eliminate that sound. Well thought I would chime in and share my experience. Now it is 35 F and time to install the injection pump on the Crown of Thorns M1009.

rsh4364

Are you 100% positive that you do not have a cracked muffler on one side. My plow truck has a loud knock and it has a crack in the top of the muffler and that is where the sound is coming from. The nozzle knock is a distinct sound and I have added ATF to eliminate that sound. Well thought I would chime in and share my experience. Now it is 35 F and time to install the injection pump on the Crown of Thorns M1009.
Thanks Rick it's definitely nozzle knock, no mistaking that sound. That and it clears up after adding atf.Thanks for the input.For those who have never experienced nozzle knock it's very disturbing, it sounds like someone suddenly threw a ball bearing in one of your cylinders!

Last edited:

86k5

Im 80% sure im going to put that banks turbo on it this spring.
With that said id like to put new injectors on it. So. Should i put the 6.5 turbo injectors on it ? Looking for suggestions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1010 has only been out of the yard a couple of times since last year's FL Rally Invitational. After falling sick for a week, I didn't have time to finish the axle swap on my contact truck for this year's event so I tossed my kids and my camping stuff in the back and headed out Friday. Just got back and the truck ran perfect for the 4 hour journey each way. Awesome trucks and frankly, I'm glad I took it. Camping was nice and easy.

bryfor

Putting a mechanical fuel pump on my m1009 right now...and im outta swear words! Took the steel line off first... its dripping fuel for 20 min.....looking for a place to pinch the rubber fuel line to stop it since tank is full...this made in usa pump better last a lifetime!

cucvrus

Putting a mechanical fuel pump on my m1009 right now...and im outta swear words! Took the steel line off first... its dripping fuel for 20 min.....looking for a place to pinch the rubber fuel line to stop it since tank is full...this made in usa pump better last a lifetime!
I am going to guess and say you are putting the lift pump on from the bottom? I have been removing the battery cables and removing the right side Gen 2 and brackets. Just roll the alternator out of your way with wires attached and secure it with a bungy. I can do the whole job with out any fuel dripping on me at all. I only have to go under and tighten the last 2 M6 10mm headed hex bolts on the cover plate. Just put a dab of wheel bearing grease on the push rod and shove it up in the hole. Leave the 2 M 6bolts loose so the plate is easily aligned while installing the 3/8" pump bolts. Put the steel line on while the pump is still loose and tighten that second to last before the M 6 bolts. Done. About a 30-45 minute job start to finish. Just a tip. I change every pump I come across that has the AC embossed on it. You would not believe the dirt and crud inside the lift pumps. Good Luck have a great day. And take break and just think it out.

bryfor

Cucvrus....I been replacing it from the top but without removing gen. Refresh my memory....I dont remember ever removing that rod plate. This pump never quit working...it was just leaking between the two halves...nothing in the oil as I have heard can happen. The rod is stuck at the bottom edge of that plate though. It seems I remember that rod has to go on top of the pump lever. Im not sure whether to bump the motor to get it free or just pry it a little or just loosen the plate bolts a bit. Dont want to risk breaking the rod.seems I remember a warrant officer saying to grease the rod to hold it in up position then install the pump lever with the rod above it

cucvrus

I always service the cover plate gasket when I remove /replace the fuel pump. Just seems like the thing to do. I then put some wheel bearing grease on the push rod and shove it up in there. I replace the cover plate gasket after cleaning both surfaces and then finger tight the small M6 bottom bolts. Then I start the 2 - 3/8 pump bolts finger tight and then last attach the fuel feed line finger tight. After that I tighten the 2- 3/8 Fuel pump bolts the fuel line and last the 2 M6 bolts. I hope that helps. It is easy if you are patient. The rear 3/8" bolt is the hardest. Do that one 2nd to the front 3/8" bolt. I hope that helps. I just remove the alternator and brackets to improve my access and make the job easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks