• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Yes it does. If you loosen the bolts that plate will need hammered on to break loose. And then Cleaning and new gasket time. Worth the effort. Trust me. It is less then $2. for the gasket. I have several.

bryfor

Heck yeah! Just got the plate off and making a gasket right now. I had it all wrong....the rod moves in and out...not up and down. So the grease will hold the rod in while fuel pump is installed.

cucvrus

Making a gasket. WOW. I would just put Permatex the Right Stuff and a new gasket on. But if you want to make one have at it. $2. would fix that gasket. Most times they are .99 at Autozone. Good luck. I am glad I could assist. And without any cursing at that.

bryfor

Only took 15 min to make a gasket verses a trip to town. Now just trying to get the pump bolts started...much cussing! Seems like the back bolt has to start first. About ready to remove that pesky gen like you...but im stubborn!

gottaluvit

Only took 15 min to make a gasket verses a trip to town. Now just trying to get the pump bolts started...much cussing! Seems like the back bolt has to start first. About ready to remove that pesky gen like you...but im stubborn!
I hear ya! This is why I keep gasket material on hand. Blowing 1.5 hours, for the round trip to town on the rare nice days good enough to work on stuff, is frustrating.

Another Ahab

4 hrs total to install fuel pump on my m1009. Thanks for all the advice cucvrus. I feel tired and sore and hope to not ever need another!
But pat yourself on the back, because at probably a good $150/hour for labor (not even figuring the shop fees, overhead and profit), think what you saved yourself in pocket money! That adds up. :naner:

Last edited:

joshuak

I had my '09 inspected here in MD as part of the process of getting regular tags, had historic tags before.

It failed on account of the following items:

-Failed road test to due vehicle wandering side to side, possible toe issue.
-Open hole in floor pan and quarter panel (they circled the drain holes in the rear floor pans and 2 holes were PO ripped off the antenna bracket riv nuts).
-Speedometer jumps around above 45 mph.
-Parking brake missing pad.
-Worn driver seat cushion.
-Front seats don't lock into place.
-Muffler rusted through at seam.
-Parking brake light on cluster not working.
-Dim dash light.

I have 30 days to fix and they will re inspect for free. Wish it was less, glad it isn't more.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my '09 inspected here in MD as part of the process of getting regular tags, had historic tags before.

It failed on account of the following items:

-Failed road test to due vehicle wandering side to side, possible toe issue.
-Open hole in floor pan and quarter panel (they circled the drain holes in the rear floor pans and 2 holes were PO ripped off the antenna bracket riv nuts).
-Speedometer jumps around above 45 mph.
-Parking brake missing pad.
-Worn driver seat cushion.
-Front seats don't lock into place.
-Muffler rusted through at seam.
-Parking brake light on cluster not working.
-Dim dash light.

I have 30 days to fix and they will re inspect for free. Wish it was less, glad it isn't more.
One of the many reasons I hated living in MD..

Now, inspection? What inspection?! hahah

and really, they dinged you for a worn seat? Reminds me of the time they dinged me for having a dash light on.... the idiot had hit the O/D button and the nice 'O/D OFF' light was illuminated in the dash... 'You need to get that fixed' he said... LOLOL.. reached in, hit the button... light goes off.................. 'oh'.........

the skull

Did you have the steering column out of the truck or the shift linkage disconnected? Or do any work on the column?

I didn't take it out, but I unbolted it from the dash and firewall. And put a
new electrical part of the ignition switch in it, so I really angered it. I unhooked
the shift linkage from the column, moved the shifter around, ran the yoke
on the trans through the gears, and hooked everything back up yesterday.
It worked just fine after that.

cucvrus

I didn't take it out, but I unbolted it from the dash and firewall. And put a
new electrical part of the ignition switch in it, so I really angered it. I unhooked
the shift linkage from the column, moved the shifter around, ran the yoke
on the trans through the gears, and hooked everything back up yesterday.
It worked just fine after that.
If it were mine and it shifted fine before I messed with it. I would double check my work and adjust the slide nut on the transmission linkage rod. Get a helper to sit inside so you can an idea where it was originally. The shift shaft probably has a mark were it was. Also pull the spring and nylon cone out of the frame bracket clean and grease that while you are down there. It can not hurt to lube it well. I hope that helps. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF6442.jpgDSCF6439.jpgDSCF6440.jpgDSCF6441.jpgI had a serious muffler blow out today on I 78 west. While up on the hoist I had the opportunityDSCF6443.jpgDSCF6446.jpgDSCF6447.jpg to check it out underneath. Both sides have broken rear spring plies. The worst part was the front drive shaft. 2 of the 4 bolts were gone and the other 2 were loose. that is what happens when i let others work on my plow truck. I was recovering from a surgery and had a younger guy go under and put the drive shaft on. Should have known better. No harm. It could have been worse when I was running the interstate at 75 with the hubs locked in. explains the vibration I had since having the driveshafts rebuilt.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks