• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

No stock M1009 had the same seats as a Camaro did back in the same era. The Civilian K5 Blazer had a thicker heavier seat then the M1009 did. A front bench seat out of an 88-98 Silverado will bolt right in a M1009.

riggermedic

1/0 gauge battery cables and starter cable. 6 gauge x2 cable upgrade 1 to the 12 volt supply, 1 to the glow plug relay (resistor bypass). Found a missing nut on the power steering bracket (fixed). Class 2 leak on the speedo cable plug in on the transfer case (tightened). New vacuum line on the transmission. PMCS actually works.:mrgreen:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/0 gauge battery cables and starter cable. 6 gauge x2 cable upgrade 1 to the 12 volt supply, 1 to the glow plug relay (resistor bypass). Found a missing nut on the power steering bracket (fixed). Class 2 leak on the speedo cable plug in on the transfer case (tightened). New vacuum line on the transmission. PMCS actually works.:mrgreen:
6ga is insufficient for the glow plug relay if you bypassed the resistor. You will be drawing ~200A through that wire..

I ran a 1 ga cable to the solenoid then a short 1ga jumper to the 12V post .

cucvrus

Back in the era or the CUCV most GM cars with bucket seats. Camaro Chevettes S10 Blazers had the smaller thinner bucket seats like the M1009. They are Lear seats. The civilian K5 Blazer had a heftier seat then the M1009. That may have been the standard the US Government requested. but all the police, game commission and fish commision K 5 trucks had the higher back heftier seats in them. The M1010 has the same type of bucket seat that the civilian and fleet K5 Blazers came equipped with. I have been using 2015-16 Chevrolet Express seats to replace a few seats in the M1009. They are a direct fit with a minor hole enlargement on the track slides.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running 6ga to the GP relay for years without issue. West Marine is a great place to get quality cable and such.

Another Ahab

That's funny:

- Usually you can click on an image, and then zoom in on it.

But can't do that here with these two. The rig looks real good though; pure business and no frills; I like it!

Last edited:

cucvrus

I didn't do anything. I just loaded them from my terminus m1009 thread. It has the same pictures. You can click on them and zoom. I can hardly get this site to load pictures anymore. i used to load multiple pictures. Now i try and load 2 it kicks it out and then I do one at a time and one of the 2 will not load. i can load 4 at a time sometimes and the next time I must try them one at a time. it finds 1 it don't like and it will not load it no way no how. IDK. But that is all I had to load that would take.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm seems to indicate that 200A can go through a 6ga wire up to 10'.
Except the load isn't JUST the + line, it's the COMPLETE circuit... back to the ground or negative... So you're looking closer to 15 or 20', and that doesn't take into account what the ground wire is that you have from the battery - to the block... as the block is used as the ground for the plugs. IIRC, the wire that goes to the frame is something like 10ga.... It would be a good time to do the 'big 3' upgrade....

In addition, those charts look like they're using a 10% drop as acceptable, which it isn't, no more than 2% drop is suggested, IOTW your 12V will drop 10% down to 10.8V...

Besides that, 6ga is WHOLLY INSUFFICIENT for 200A, period. :D

Have someone hold that wire, I'd bet any amount of money it gets hot when you run the glowplugs..

Resistance creates heat, that heat then further raises resistance.

I would hesitate running 200A through 4ga, 6ga is not an option, in my book.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Hey cucvrus, what's the story behind the diamond-plate in the rear of the bed; it looks good:

- Is that just a home-grown heavy-up of the bed?
That is just a 1/4" piece I cut and fit into the rear threshold area. The back end of the m1009 is a bit weak when used in severe off road situations. It comes from the deterioration of the rear crossmember and floor. I removed the OEM bolts and bolted the frame and body thru my tread plate. I added the gussets to add strength and maintain the correct dimensions in the rear door/gate opening. I have wheeled several M1009's and had the gate jammed in the opening. I like twisting and flexing the body when off road. Sometimes it sounds like an oil can inside the flexing, grexing and groaning from the front and rear body area. Keeps the rust awake and knocks it loose. Flex it does the body good. I was amazed at the capabilities of a completely stock M1009. After this off road trip I am going to replace all the suspension bushings on Terminus M1009. I have a thread Terminus M1009 if you care to look. If not thats fine also. Have a great day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks