• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Been running the 1009 with a disabled rear diff after busting it at the GA rally. Ordered a Eaton Tru-Trac. New axle seals and brakes. I found out the ring gear bolts are left hand thread. O'Reilly's had one bolt in stock.
In a rightfully just world, left-hand threads would be banned forever.

They're just a really bad joke.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure.left hand threaded bolts are like politicians. They MUST serve some purpose, but it has escaped me for most of my life. I guess with certain rotational directions, bolts MIGHT have a use. The other, nope.....worthless.

cucvrus

Wheeled the Crown of thorns M1009 hard today and cut and hauled several loads of firewood.DSCF6475.jpgDSCF6474.jpgDSCF6473.jpgDSCF6472.jpgDSCF6469.jpgDSCF6468.jpgThis morning after church I did some serious off road logging and cutting firewood. The M109 performed without a flaw. Still stock still going. This field has some real bad mud holes in it. It almost got me. But almost don't count. As long as I got out under my own power I was technically was not stuck. Free wood. It does the body good. I like the m1009 for firewood. The trailer is much lower and easier to load and unload. Besides 5 people go with and we are all comfortable.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been running the 1009 with a disabled rear diff after busting it at the GA rally. Ordered a Eaton Tru-Trac. New axle seals and brakes. I found out the ring gear bolts are left hand thread. O'Reilly's had one bolt in stock.
Good call on shoes, those are micro thin in the lining dept. I just did shoes, spring kit, cylinders, brake lines and brake hose on SECM.

riggermedic

hey cucvrus can you do a thread or post some more pics on your crown of thorns 1009 roof rack? specifically the mounting and drill points? I really like the stance and size it has. [thumbzup]
lots of posts here that talk around the subject but nothing I can find with specifics. would it hold a stock tire 2 fuel cans and a jack? how does the mount attach to the rack?

cucvrus

I made it out of the bottom part of 2 bulk fluid storage skids. It is thin steel and I mounted it directly to the roof. I had it powder coated and painted it. It is not the best but will hold things and I hauled wood and tires and ammo boxes up top. I used a piece of plywood to set on the bottom when I hauled smaller things like wood and Sceptor fuel cans. I always use ratchet straps. Bad thing it is steel and will rust from the inside out.

gottaluvit

This inspired me to crawl under mine yesterday. All was good except a class II leak of brake fluid where right brake hose attaches to the caliper. Checked the fluid level and only down 1/4" so I tighten it this weekend and it will wait until I csn get a helper to help bleed the line after removing it. I assume the PO didn't put a new copper gasket on, if any.
Well, the bolt holding the line on was a little loose. Cleaned the area up real good and after tightening the brakeline bolt I pumped the brake pedal a bit hard, and no leaks. I am ready to go to Columbus and recover my M1102 and towbar kits out of Columbus now.

87J

Found another use for the 1010. Just bought a long track snowmobile that wouldn't fit in my trailer but the pass through ambulance door allowed her to fit perfect inside and close doors. Hauled it 5 hours north to ride the upper peninsula.

rsh4364

Got off work late and was in rush hour traffic, I drove the 4.56 geared 1009 with 33x 10.5x15 like I stole it, 70 to75 mph.It seemed to like it. Cucvrus would be proud .

Another Ahab

Found another use for the 1010. Just bought a long track snowmobile that wouldn't fit in my trailer but the pass through ambulance door allowed her to fit perfect inside and close doors. Hauled it 5 hours north to ride the upper peninsula.
That sled is a nice looking machine; looks built for speed. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks