• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

86k5

Alright. Well i just finished replacing all 8 injectors. Got the new ones from badger diesel (ordered from ebay) Was not a bad job. Do your self a favor. Take out the batteries and the battery tray too! Battery side was then easier than driver side.
Anyway. Only real problem was when i was making last adjustments, while truck is running i opened the "bleader" valve on my fuel filter to help any air escape. Well that **** plastic junk broke off. Fuel is squirting all over as i run to the cab and turn it off. Luckly i had a bolt that i was able to use for now until i can replace that plastic one with the correct length metal one. Oh. And from what i can tell the blazer is running much smoother than before. Win win.

NovacaineFix

Do yourself a favor. Pop off the radiator cap. Drag out your multi meter, stick that black lead on a good ground point, and dip the red lead in the coolant at the radiator neck. Don't touch the radiator itself, just the coolant.

I'm guessing you'll see a few volts. If you do, your radiator is probably not far behind. It's being eaten.

Time for a good flush, replace radiator, and make sure the radiator and the heater core are well grounded. Don't assume they are grounded just because they are mounted. I did this recently on my van to cure the same kind of problem. Ran a ground lead right from the radiator itself to the main ground point where the battery grounds to the body. No more voltage in the radiator neck.
Finally got around to trying this out, mainly because I think I just blew the radiator [which is new by less than 6 months].

So as a scientist extraordinaire, I filled the missing gallon of coolant into my radiator and was waiting for the foam to die down and I thought, maybe I should check for voltage within the coolant like MarcusOReallyus said.
I had a notion that I wasn't going to find much, if anything, but I did it anyway.

Here are my results:

1st reading no contact 0 volts
20160323_205015.jpg
2nd reading front battery while running only: 14.78 volts. Not bad!
20160323_205028.jpg
3rd reading, negative prob connected to negative of front battery, positive lead dipped into moving coolant, not touching any metal, just coolant>> 0.26 volts.
20160323_205103.jpg
Interesting.

But to go further, as the temperature was rising, the voltage was progressively higher, but always under 0.5 volts.
For those that may be wondering, WTF are you doing? Marcus brought up a valid point and it is usually overlooked, ground straps, like this one below:
20160323_205122.jpg

A corroded, broken or missing ground strap can cause all sorts of issues electrically, but can have an adverse affect on your cooling system as well.
The reason? Electrolysis. EDIT>>>So all in all, if you have a few volts going through your cooling system, you most likely have a ground path problem (forgot to add that last night).

The electrical system needs a path to ground back to the battery, think of the battery and a circuit as a hula-hoop, when a positive lead goes out to feed a load (like a lightbulb) a negative lead needs to come back to the battery. The most vehicles, the chassis and engine are parts of that path, this is why there is a negative lead coming off the battery and fastened to the chassis. But wait, it doesn't end there. You have the chassis grounded, now you need to provide a path from the engine to the chassis. Ground straps/cables. If the ground path is narrowed by missing or corroded ground straps, then the coolant can act as a makeshift electrolyte to carry the return ground back to battery, but at the same time causing electrolysis. The electrolysis can eat up metal parts and cause unsuspecting leaks or parts failures. Not just the cooling system but other parts like shifter cables and such, just using the cooling system as a example since I am having trouble with it in my 1009.

The engine is not typically grounded to the chassis. Think about it. The engine mounts are rubber, that insulates it from the frame mounts, same with the tranny mount and the rear and front axles. The body is insulated with rubber body mounts also, so you really do need those irritating ground straps more so than you think.
I have said this in another thread before, the path to ground must be equal to or greater than the positive lead for everything to work properly. Not in just one wire, but all the wires collectively, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, sorry to bore you guys with this sort of techno mumbo nonsense, but I had to share. That and it gives me a reason to sit down and enjoy my nice cold frosty adult beverage.:beer:

Do apologize for the thread being so long....

Last edited:

cucvrus

I changed a melted 30 amp fuse in the 0430 dark. It was the one on the headlamp circuit.I was driving along and poof the lights went out. No problem. Pulled over and pushed the fuse into the fuse block harder. Lights back on. Continued and got on I 81 N lights all the way. Back at base camp I looked and the inner leg of the fuse was broken off in the fuse box. No problem I used a small pick and plucked the broken fuse leg out and used a small contact cleaner to sand the contacts in the fuse block. I put a new fuse in and back on the road. That is the first fuse I put in the box in the 11 years I have this truck. I contribute the heat to the snow plow and trailer wiring plug on the salt spreader that I use during winter months. On another note I bought 4 new sets of leaf springs, 4 new shocks and new front and rear shackles. I have to replace all the suspension on 2 trucks in the coming weeks. No pictures they would not load so I will post them on Face book. Have a great day.

GunnyM1009

I had been having intermittent charging issues on Gunny for a year or so. I was scared to drive it more that a couple miles. Since everyone on here helped me figure out my charging system I got to drive him almost 100miles round trip yesterday. Let me tell you it felt good to get some miles on him. He still has a few issues to iron out but Gunny is up and rolling and dependable I feel.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had been having intermittent charging issues on Gunny for a year or so. I was scared to drive it more that a couple miles. Since everyone on here helped me figure out my charging system I got to drive him almost 100miles round trip yesterday. Let me tell you it felt good to get some miles on him. He still has a few issues to iron out but Gunny is up and rolling and dependable I feel.
Two fully charged batteries are enough to start a cucv 3 times and run about 10 hours with lowbeams on, even if your charging system is completely INOP. (Ask me how I know :) )

( as an aside, 4 fully charged hawkers are enough to run a 939series 5ton for about 30 hours of signals and lowbeams, without a charging system)

lukasmcdukas

I recently picked up a 3" body lift for my 86 M1028 so I can stuff some good ol' nankang M870's underneath (instead of the 35 BFGs she's on now)... then it's off to Gear Vendors for an auxiliary transmission to turn that 3spd TH400 into a 6spd auto w/OD. should be able to easily hit 80mph without blowing up the 6.2!

aside from that I've just been troubleshooting some minor leaks and electrical bugs. like ya do.

GunnyM1009

Two fully charged batteries are enough to start a cucv 3 times and run about 10 hours with lowbeams on, even if your charging system is completely INOP. (Ask me how I know :) )

( as an aside, 4 fully charged hawkers are enough to run a 939series 5ton for about 30 hours of signals and lowbeams, without a charging system)
Can't start one 3 times when the Genious previous owner put in a 12v starter. Which is replaced now that I had the money to get a 24v one. Yes a 12v starter will work for a little while but it pulls alot of amps and really doesn't turn over fast enough. Plus after a little while the 24v cooks it.

cucvrus

should be able to easily hit 80mph without blowing up the 6.2!

That is a myth. I have been driving the same stock CUCV trucks with the same size stock tires LT 235 85R16 for over 20 years on interstate highways coast to coast. GPS / smart phone all say over 80 MPH and never popped one yet. Do as you want but that is a myth.
I read it on other sites also where guys say the same thing. They drive their CUCV trucks just as fast as I do. I also rode in some CUCV's with people that said it will only go 55 MPH. I ask them to pull over I will drive and showed them that it can go faster. After I drove and showed them. They lost the fear and liked the truck more. I am so used to hearing that hi RPM I don't even notice anymore. I do hear crickets at times on long trips. If I had a radio I could not hear it anyway in a CUCV pick up at that speed. But I am just used to it and keep my fluids full and keep on going day in day out. The M1009 is loud inside also at highway speed. I just think telling people that the engine is going to blow apart from hi RPM at hi speed is a myth. A healthy well cared for engine can take it for years. A few members here have trucks I drove for years and they are still running strong. No carbon or soot build up in my 6.2 engines. I run them hard and maintain them harder. And I don't scare easily by what others tell me. I have experienced no ill side effects on my 6.2 engines from hard running. I keep them in top notch running condition and they just keep going and going. Good Luck Have a great day. See you at the Creek next week. I only have an M1009 to bring but that is good enough for me.

[h=1]Spaceballs ludicrous speed[/h]

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

1st reading no contact 0 volts

3rd reading, negative prob connected to negative of front battery, positive lead dipped into moving coolant, not touching any metal, just coolant>> 0.26 volts.

Interesting.

But to go further, as the temperature was rising, the voltage was progressively higher, but always under 0.5 volts.

That ain't good. A few tenths of a volt is enough to eat your cooling system. That needs to be fixed.

http://freeasestudyguides.com/electrolysis.html

http://www.ve-labs.net/electrolysis-101/how-to-test#voltage

At that last link there is a very interesting comment about using a copper tube for the probe, and shows the difference in voltage on the same radiator when using the meter's probe vs. the meter connected to a copper tube used as a probe. The copper tube shows a full tenth of a volt higher.

That link also says that 3 tenths (.3 volts) is acceptable, but that's higher than I've read elsewhere. Other sources I have seen put the danger zone starting at 2 tenths (.2 volts) or 2.5 tenths (.25 volts).

Either way, you're in the danger zone. :(

Do apologize for the thread being so long....

Don't! This is really good information. Nice job on the pictures and the measurements. :beer:

Very interesting that the voltage increased as the temp increased..... Gonna have to ponder that.... Might point to a chemical source for the voltage...

AECS

Mine does the same thing, temp goes up voltage goes up... I put new ground straps everywhere. Could not get it to zero. I think I got it to .26 or something cold. I use a sacrificial zinc on the radiator cap, has been good for about 18 months now...

gottaluvit

Mine does the same thing, temp goes up voltage goes up... I put new ground straps everywhere. Could not get it to zero. I think I got it to .26 or something cold. I use a sacrificial zinc on the radiator cap, has been good for about 18 months now...
I worked at an auto parts store that had a machine shop, and I saw a bulletin on this subject for all automobiles. They were saying that the coolant gets broke down and becomes electrolytic making your radiator a literal battery. It said to change coolant if voltage was 1/4 volt or there would be sieze issues at every point aluminum met steel.

GunnyM1009

These are the L.E.D headlights I put in Gunny these things are pretty amazing. They are not DOT approved though so install at your own risk. Well for some reason I cant upload the image but heres the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013T...headlights&dpPl=1&dpID=519zjv080-L&ref=plSrch0325161347.jpg It finally let me attach them. I'll attach some night picks when it gets dark atleast of the dim lights since my dimmer switch is shot.0325161908.jpg0325161938.jpg0325161939.jpg1458953013586-379246857.jpg1458953085624-408652826.jpg Alright so first picture is at sunset second is inside truck no light third is inside truck with lights on fourth is at driver side fender no light and fifth is at driver side fender lights on. Remember these are all on dim.

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

That ain't good. A few tenths of a volt is enough to eat your cooling system. That needs to be fixed.

At that last link there is a very interesting comment about using a copper tube for the probe, and shows the difference in voltage on the same radiator when using the meter's probe vs. the meter connected to a copper tube used as a probe. The copper tube shows a full tenth of a volt higher.

That link also says that 3 tenths (.3 volts) is acceptable, but that's higher than I've read elsewhere. Other sources I have seen put the danger zone starting at 2 tenths (.2 volts) or 2.5 tenths (.25 volts).

Either way, you're in the danger zone.

Very interesting that the voltage increased as the temp increased..... Gonna have to ponder that.... Might point to a chemical source for the voltage...

I was running long on the last thread and I forgot to put this in there, but...

When I was checking the voltage of the coolant, and found that .26 volts, I thought, okay, maybe I have a bad ground strap somewhere. I had replaced one already, but that might not be enough.
So I pulled out a set of jumper cables, connected the negative directly to the battery and clamped the other end to various parts of the engine, there was no change in voltage at all. I tried several spots, steel, iron and aluminum, all no change.

The other day, I thought I blew the radiator, went to check it out yesterday, no leaks, not a drip. This after losing a gallon of coolant the prior day. WTH? The only thing I can think of was that either the thermostat got stuck and caused it to run hot, but now it's un-stuck [will be changing it out anyway].or some situation occurred to cause my engine to run hot and slightly overheat, not sure which. Today drove it around, like I always do, not a drop of coolant.

Anyway Marcus, thought I would add that little extra bit about the ground and no change on voltage. I am wondering though, if the type of coolant matters, you know the chemical make up? The stuff I am using is the pre-mixed 50/50 conventional green, which I believe is mainly glycol based and is stated to meet all SAE and other standards.

MarcusOReallyus

Interesting experiment. It may be that the rad itself is not well grounded?

As to the AF, I don't think it's about what kind of AF, it's about the condition of it. Over time it gets acidic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks