• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

richingalveston

spring cleaning:
I am in the process of:
changing water pump, rebuilding injection pump, new injectors, new return lines, all new hoses and thermostat, new head bolts, getting radiator serviced, adding trans cooler, adding power steering cooler, installing ORD high clearance cross member, ORD competition motor mounts, electric fuel pump, Banks turbo, new exhaust and a snorkel.

I have it broken down and I am starting to put it back together. The head studs have been changed, valve covers painted and back on. I went with Badger Diesel on pump, injectors and return line. I hope to have the parts by the end of next week.
I got most the other stuff from Rock auto.

I should have it back together and at the exhaust shop in two weeks.

rsh4364

Got a box of parts from Summit today for my A/N hose to BM remote oil cooler eliminating the in radiator cooler .If it turns out okay I will post parts list. I may even add a second oil filter setup.

Last edited:

usabamaman

Got a box of parts from Summit today for my A/N hose to BM remote oil cooler eliminating the in radiator cooler .If it turns out okay I will post parts list. I may even add a second oil filter setup.
You are going to eliminate the radiator part of the trans. cooler? I was told that if you add an additional cooler you still run the fluid thru the radiator after it exits the add on cooler to keep the fluid from being too cold. This is the way I did my 83 C-20. I am wanting to add a cooler to my M1009 with a inline spin on filter and add a drain plug to the transmission pan.

NovacaineFix

You are going to eliminate the radiator part of the trans. cooler? I was told that if you add an additional cooler you still run the fluid thru the radiator after it exits the add on cooler to keep the fluid from being too cold. This is the way I did my 83 C-20. I am wanting to add a cooler to my M1009 with a inline spin on filter and add a drain plug to the transmission pan.

I could be wrong, but I think he is just referring to the engine oil cooler portion of the radiator. I can see that as the oil cooler hoses are hard if not impossible to find (new) unless custom made.

rsh4364

I could be wrong, but I think he is just referring to the engine oil cooler portion of the radiator. I can see that as the oil cooler hoses are hard if not impossible to find (new) unless custom made.
Novaccine you are correct it's my engine oil cooler I'm updating. My factory lines are starting to leak and I want to install electric cooling fans, getting the hard lines out of the way will help.When I add a remote transmission cooler I run through radiator then through remote cooler.

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Novaccine you are correct it's my engine oil cooler I'm updating. My factory lines are starting to leak and I want to install electric cooling fans, getting the hard lines out of the way will help.When I add a remote transmission cooler I run through radiator then through remote cooler.
Mine "seeps" as well, and you can smell it when it's under load. I really need to remove it and have a custom one made.
A shop nearby will make me a new line, but they need me to bring me my old one to use as a template.

CUCVLOVER

How many here remember being 18 and rolling down a back road peddle on the floor stereo up loud and windows down in the old Chevy??
Well that's what I did with my Cucv tonight. Went and fueled it up and came back to the house. I just love getting out and running that Chevy. KIMG0421.jpg

cucvrus

Chase i know you stayed under the maximum mandatory 55 MPH with that CUCV. I don't want any pieces of your engine coming apart. :). Or are you like me and drive at Ludicrous speed every time you are on the highway? When I was 18 i had a CST/10 4 X 4 and I left it roll on down the highway and thru the bush. I have friends/colleagues that see me 40 years later and they say "hey I still see you have Chevy trucks". I say sure do lots of them. They say every time I see a Chevy commercial I think of you. You know like Tom T Hall. Chevys just keep getting better each year. And I like to get a taste every few years of the new Chevy. Keep trucking young Chase and be careful that you don't hurt yourself or others. Be safe. Have a great day. Bowties and lock outs all the way. I don't need no stinkin lecture on RPM's. It is still running.

gottaluvit

How many here remember being 18 and rolling down a back road peddle on the floor stereo up loud and windows down in the old Chevy??
Well that's what I did with my Cucv tonight. Went and fueled it up and came back to the house. I just love getting out and running that Chevy. View attachment 615206
Did a little drifting on the gravel road yesterday in mine with my M1102 trailer attached. Rear wheel drive drifting with a trailer takes practice but I do it a lot with my Rural King trailer hauling my zero-turn. Just dont do it too fast! Had to bring it home to clean it out to take to scales today so I can get tags on it. The CUCV with the M1102 is going to Groveport/Lockborne next week to pickup 4 pallets.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chase i know you stayed under the maximum mandatory 55 MPH with that CUCV. I don't want any pieces of your engine coming apart. :). Or are you like me and drive at Ludicrous speed every time you are on the highway? When I was 18 i had a CST/10 4 X 4 and I left it roll on down the highway and thru the bush. I have friends/colleagues that see me 40 years later and they say "hey I still see you have Chevy trucks". I say sure do lots of them. They say every time I see a Chevy commercial I think of you. You know like Tom T Hall. Chevys just keep getting better each year. And I like to get a taste every few years of the new Chevy. Keep trucking young Chase and be careful that you don't hurt yourself or others. Be safe. Have a great day. Bowties and lock outs all the way. I don't need no stinkin lecture on RPM's. It is still running.
I believe your position on CUCV operating speeds have been well documented to the point of ad nauseam.

CUCVLOVER

You know how I roll. Throttle down, sub thumbn', winders down.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn753nKMPNU

Another thing I love about big wide tires and big brakes is stopping power. I have locked up both front tires on the truck before. Do what ya gotta do

CUCVLOVER

Did a little drifting on the gravel road yesterday in mine with my M1102 trailer attached. Rear wheel drive drifting with a trailer takes practice but I do it a lot with my Rural King trailer hauling my zero-turn. Just dont do it too fast! Had to bring it home to clean it out to take to scales today so I can get tags on it. The CUCV with the M1102 is going to Groveport/Lockborne next week to pickup 4 pallets.
That sounds fun. Are you going to give out classes on it?

cucvrus

No dead horses here in my camp. Mine, family and my friends are all running around free and that's the way it's meant to be. Beating new guys down with misinformation is dead horse meat. And old guys that know better are just trying to clear the air and help out. Sad for you if you are offended by that. But every time I hear that same old mis informed information I think. Huh no wonder guys walk up and ask how I can drive a truck that only does 55 MPH. I just say yea right. Another misinformed person.

cucvrus

Max Power

6 HP @ 3600 RPM, 5.5 HP @ 3000 RPM
Strange that is the maximum RPM of my single cylinder Yanmar diesel engines. I would think that it would be higher on an 8 cylinder engine. Where is the governor located? I am guessing injection pump.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No dead horses here in my camp. Mine, family and my friends are all running around free and that's the way it's meant to be. Beating new guys down with misinformation is dead horse meat. And old guys that know better are just trying to clear the air and help out. Sad for you if you are offended by that. But every time I hear that same old mis informed information I think. Huh no wonder guys walk up and ask how I can drive a truck that only does 55 MPH. I just say yea right. Another misinformed person.
I'm not offended, just simply stating that your position is very well documented.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks